Free H2O

Question:

Dear...

Why is there bottled water in our fridge?

Answer:

Why...? What would the neighbours think if we didn't?!?

Question:

And....? :confused:

Answer. In case you want to buy it. Just the same reason there are liquor miniatures, in case you want to buy them.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

All the extra plastic from bottled water is terrible for the environment. Paying for bottled water also spits in the face of the fundamental concept that we should have access to clean water without paying premium upcharges for it.

Water bottlers like Nestle put profit ahead of everything else when they continued production in California despite terrible drought conditions there last year.

This is a "business line" that people simply need to stop supporting. Somehow, humanity managed to get by for quite a long time before water was turned into a product to sell at a profit by beverage companies. People need to get over themselves.

All the extra plastic from bottled water is terrible for the environment. Paying for bottled water also spits in the face of the fundamental concept that we should have access to clean water without paying premium upcharges for it.

Water bottlers like Nestle put profit ahead of everything else when they continued production in California despite terrible drought conditions there last year.

This is a "business line" that people simply need to stop supporting. Somehow, humanity managed to get by for quite a long time before water was turned into a product to sell at a profit by beverage companies. People need to get over themselves.

It's not just in the US, it's same thing up north.

https://actions.sumofus.org/a/kathleen-wynne-stop-nestle-from-sucking-ontario-dry

"Bottled" water is one of the best and biggest scams ever to take place in the history of the world....Especially in the US were we have very good tap water. Over the years people have been suckered in to buying water in bottles believing its far than the tap water at their house

The only time I ever drink bottled water is on cruise ships. The tap water on the ships cause me to swell up like a balloon. It is extremely painful. I don't know what is in the water but whatever it is, my body doesn't like it. When I drink bottled water, I don't swell up at all. When I heard about this new beverage policy, I wanted to cancel my upcoming cruise but my friends are really looking forward to it. I'm going to offset the incredibly ridiculous bottled water prices NCL charges by only booking private excursions and I won't be buying alcohol, photos or souvenirs on the ship like I usually do. I'm never going to cruise with NCL again - this is my last time. I'll probably either go back to Carnival, try another cruise line or give up on cruising altogether.

Also, my parents have to use bottled water at their house because their well water is poisoned by the fertilizer runoff from nearby farms. The poisonous chemicals, including arsenic, cannot be filtered out. Not all tap water is safe and bottled water isn't always a scam.

...The poisonous chemicals, including arsenic, cannot be filtered out....

That is absolutely false. I am in the environmental business, and we regularly produce completely pure (analyte free) water from contaminated sources. Might be expensive, but it most certainly can be filtered out. Arsenic is not even that difficult. Just FYI.

Actually the water onboard many of the ships (on any cruise line) is city tap water. Ships bunker water from local ports. Some ships never run their desalinization plants (evaporators or reverse osmosis) because it is easier and cheaper to buy local water than use the power and pay the maintenance cost of the equipment onboard.

For example:

Royal Caribbean "All drinking water is either distilled from seawater or loaded onboard while the ship is in port."

Carnival "Shipboard potable water either comes from a shoreside water treatment plant or is generated on board from seawater"

Princess "Fresh water comes from two different sources: produced water or bunkered water, which is purchased from port communities"

Ships may buy and bunker water if they are on port intensive runs, because there is not enough time to run their equipment on board. They cannot run it within 3 miles of shore for example.

However, their preferred way of generating water is desalination using waste heat from the engines.

Getting shore water is more expensive, it also is more complex to deal with. For example whenever they get water from shore it has to be kept isolated until it has been fully tested and the results known. That can take a fair amount of time.

So while the cruise lines do say that they get water from two sources (shore and desalinated), the majority by far comes from desalination and it is the preferred source.

There is a fellow that has substantial work experience on cruise ships (as well as other ships) who went into this in substantial depth over on the Princess board a couple of weeks ago. For all practical purposes the primary source of power is waste heat, with a secondary method using reverse osmosis if the ship is cruising a low speed. In either case the ship has heat and power to spare at minimal cost.

After I posted this I noticed that he had already responded to the post a little earlier.

Edited by RDC1

OP. yep. There are a million and 1 reasons why someone is upset over the bottled water and nothing is going to change their minds......NOTHING. No point in trying......as Elsa says let it go....let it go

If someone has convinced themselves bottled is better, let them be happy and hydrated.

I am sort of surprised there are not more "I can only drink Coke products" threads. :-)

People are gonna make the choice that is best for them...whether anyone else understands and approves or not.

Personally, you can drink from the tap, from the bottle, or suck on cactus leaves...I don't care....or even care why anyone else would care what someone else chooses or prefers!

When it comes to the great water debate, all I see is this:

ON CARNIVAL

Purified Water - 12 Pack (16.9 fluid oz. bottle)

$3.99 = (.34 cents/bottle) (about .02 cents/oz.)

ON NCL

Aquafina Bottled Water - 12-pack (20 fluid oz. bottle)

$47.14 = ($3.93/bottle) (about .20 cents/oz.)

Pay a little on CARNIVAL, a lot (10X more) on NCL, or nothing at all from any ship's tap.

In some parts of the world they're happy to have any fresh water at all!

THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO STAY HYDRATED AND ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!

:)

People are gonna make the choice that is best for them...whether anyone else understands and approves or not.

Personally, you can drink from the tap, from the bottle, or suck on cactus leaves...I don't care....or even care why anyone else would care what someone else chooses or prefers!

ON CARNIVAL

ON NCL

Pay a little on CARNIVAL, a lot (10X more) on NCL, or nothing at all from any ship's tap.

Have fun on carnival.

The only time I ever drink bottled water is on cruise ships. The tap water on the ships cause me to swell up like a balloon. It is extremely painful. I don't know what is in the water but whatever it is, my body doesn't like it. When I drink bottled water, I don't swell up at all. When I heard about this new beverage policy, I wanted to cancel my upcoming cruise but my friends are really looking forward to it. I'm going to offset the incredibly ridiculous bottled water prices NCL charges by only booking private excursions and I won't be buying alcohol, photos or souvenirs on the ship like I usually do. I'm never going to cruise with NCL again - this is my last time. I'll probably either go back to Carnival, try another cruise line or give up on cruising altogether.

Also, my parents have to use bottled water at their house because their well water is poisoned by the fertilizer runoff from nearby farms. The poisonous chemicals, including arsenic, cannot be filtered out. Not all tap water is safe and bottled water isn't always a scam.

I also swell up while on a cruise. It doesn't matter which line I'm on, if I drink tap water, my ankles are swollen by the time we get home.

At home, I drink reverse osmosis water almost exclusively. Ship's water supposedly has the same filtering process. I feel as though ship's water contains an excessive amount of sodium. If anyone could post a link to a portable water filter for sodium, I'd buy a bunch of them.

Don't give up cruising though. Just go on a line which offers bottled water at a reasonable cost.

I also swell up while on a cruise. It doesn't matter which line I'm on, if I drink tap water, my ankles are swollen by the time we get home.

At home, I drink reverse osmosis water almost exclusively. Ship's water supposedly has the same filtering process. I feel as though ship's water contains an excessive amount of sodium. If anyone could post a link to a portable water filter for sodium, I'd buy a bunch of them.

Don't give up cruising though. Just go on a line which offers bottled water at a reasonable cost.

Yes, ship's water is either shore water or made by distillation or by a reverse osmosis unit many times higher in pressure. Question, do you differentiate between the water from your cabin and the water from the buffet/MDR? Sources outside your cabin have the chlorine removed and this can affect water retention.

ON CARNIVAL

ON NCL

Your math is way off being the NCL sells 1 liter bottles of water which is the equivalent to almost 34 ounces not 20.

You are also comparing apples to oranges in terms of - Canival is selling it's own brand, while NCL is selling Aquafina.

I am just going by the posters here who say all water is not the same, nor is the price. Go to the market and buy a case of Fiji water compared to Deer Park etc.

Edited by titangas

Yes, ship's water is either shore water or made by distillation or by a reverse osmosis unit many times higher in pressure. Question, do you differentiate between the water from your cabin and the water from the buffet/MDR? Sources outside your cabin have the chlorine removed and this can affect water retention.

Water served in the dining areas doesn't seem to affect me. It's the water in the cabin (I think).

Water served in the dining areas doesn't seem to affect me. It's the water in the cabin (I think).

That would be the chlorine then. A filter pitcher or just letting the water sit in a pitcher for a couple of hours will allow the chlorine to dissipate.

I'm kind of shocked by how many people apparently bring their own beverages aboard. I travel a lot and can't imagine bringing a case of water/soda/anything to a nice resort or hotel. That's why I'm going someplace nice - so I don't have to lug stuff like that around! I seriously didn't know that was a "thing" on cruises.

We don't do bottled water except for in our emergency kit, and we rotate it out every few years and serve it at parties. I agree with the points above about the industry. I do prefer Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi but I can live with it for a week.

If you need a filter try Bobble - its a clear bottle with a replaceable filter top. I sometimes carry that when I travel in case the city water is not good, although most of the time we all just drink from the tap. Amazon has them and our local Safeway carries them now too.

Edited by BayGirl22

That would be the chlorine then. A filter pitcher or just letting the water sit in a pitcher for a couple of hours will allow the chlorine to dissipate.

Thank you so much for the tip. I was stunned to see my feet swollen at the end of our last cruise. It's never happened before and the only thing I did differently was not drink bottled water as much. I had a lot of tap water in the cabin and in the MDR. A water filter is definitely worth a shot!

ON CARNIVAL

ON NCL

It's not 10x more ... the 12 pack NCL sells is 1 Liter bottles, about 34 ounces each. So the price per ounce, there's 408 of them in that case, is about .12 per ounce. Auqafina is a premium brand, and the price on shore for it is about .04 to .05 per ounce in 1 Liter bottles. So NCL is marking the water up 2.5 to 4 times.

Carnival is selling "Carnival Brand" water in the smaller bottles. Not sure why, but even the premium brands are much less expensive in the smaller bottles. I think the Costco 40-pack of "Kirkland" water we buy is still around $4 before you add in the recycling fee (which we get back when we recycle). So the per bottle price is about .10. Carnival's price is just over .33 a bottle.

So Carnival and NCL are charging about three times what on-shore places charge for the same water. With the new policy change I hope NCL chooses to private label their own "Feel Free" water and use the same price multiple, but provide us with easier to handle bottle like Carnival does.

It's not 10x more ... the 12 pack NCL sells is 1 Liter bottles, about 34 ounces each. So the price per ounce, there's 408 of them in that case, is about .12 per ounce. Auqafina is a premium brand, and the price on shore for it is about .04 to .05 per ounce in 1 Liter bottles. So NCL is marking the water up 2.5 to 4 times.

I copied both of those descriptions from their respective websites before posting. Comparing "apples to apples" is an important thing...

For similar offerings:

NCL is selling 20 oz. bottles of Aquafina.

Carnival is selling 16.9 oz. bottles of "purified water".

Price for the 12 pack is 10X more on NCL.

You will need to check your sources again.

Edited by NEW 2 CRUISIN