Escape/Getaway what,s the big difference compare Jewel class ships

jolgro

In februari 2017 we booked the Escape and Getaway

First the Escape , one night Miami , followed by the Getaway.

Really looking forward to it.

We only cruised on the Jewel/Jade and Dawn/Star class.

So we know by now what to expect on those ships and liked it very much.

What,s the big difference besides the amount of passengers and that these ships are much larger. Tell me all about it.

(For example shows; I was used to look up in the freestyle daily what kind of show there was and if it was something for me I just go to the theatre. No I read a lot about pre booking -shows. Most of the days we go with the flow , never know what time we head for dinner, changes day by day.)

The biggest difference is the entertainment.

You need to approach it totally differently. Whereas there is a different show on each night in the theatre on the Jewel ships, so you could go every night if you want, the newer ships have a smaller number of shows that are repeated. Even if you go to every show once then there will be a few nights that you aren't in the theatre.

Instead, you may go to one of the other venues on different nights. There is the dinner show, the comedy club and another venue where there may be a band on.

Basically, there is more going on, so you will have to make decisions. Also, as you have heard, you may need to make some reservations.

Don't panic though. It doesn't mean that every minute of your holiday will be planned to the second. Even if you sign up for everything you can beforehand, you will probably only have about 3 entertainment bookings. The other nights will be filled up, either by you making other bookings onboard (probably not long before the show), or just walking in on shows where reservations aren't offered.

I've rarely had more than one entertainment booking and I've never struggled to find things to do.

Even if you haven't booked one of the main shows then you will probably still get in, you will just have to wait in the standby queue and the best seats will probably be gone by the time you get in.

It's really up to you how much you plan. If there is something you really want to see then I'd recommend booking it. As long as there is still availability, you can change the booking once onboard if something else comes up.

I'd book a few bits if they are important to you, but leave a few nights free to decide what you want to do at the time.

Enjoy the choices.

Thank you Keith for your answer.

Pre booking shows/ entertainment will be ***** My NCL , right ? Just like you book excursions or dining.

Is there anything you can read what the show is about ( sorry I don,t think this is good english [emoji28])

Thank you Keith for your answer.

Pre booking shows/ entertainment will be ***** My NCL , right ? Just like you book excursions or dining.

Is there anything you can read what the show is about ( sorry I don,t think this is good english [emoji28])[/

When you are 100 days out ( for a suite) or 90 days out for a non- Haven cabin, your booking options will open up. The shows are described And there are pictures. You cannot presently book the comedy shows on line, but can do it on board. There is also a fun show called Howl at the Moon where two pianists ke audience requests - it can get pretty raucous as the evening wears on. This is a walk in venue, no reservations needed. You don't need reservations for the Welcome Show, the Farewell Show, the comedy showcase or the talent show. As you get closer to the cruise you can look up the Dailies that people post her and get an idea of what time various events take place.

Another nice touch is the magic show and dinner in the Illusionarium. It is an upcharge, it was fun .we only did this on our first cruise.

Getaway also has the outdoor water park with slides and the elevated ropes course , unlike the Jewel class ships. There is also an adults- only area that is free as well as an adults only area called Vibe for which you must purchase a pass. We have been to neither but there is lots of info about them her on CRuise Critic

You will find more game show type events on Getaway as well. There is a lovely area called The Waterfront which is great for a cocktail, a stroll or people watching. Getawy also has a kookie Ice Bar for which you don parkas and gloves and pretend to enjoy freezing while drinking your two cocktails. Cute but not worth the admission price if you have ever ice skated or had vodka.

I don't like to plan ahead either but I did book one show for our upcoming Getaway cruise. We were previous Jewel/ Pearl cruises and we love Getaway. This will be our 4th cruise on her, without kids for the first time!

Have a great trip . Your English is wonderful, by the way!

Edited by Annmeat

Howl at the Moon sounds a bit like a show we have here in Holland, it ,s called Crazy Piano's and is a lot of fun. So I want to see that for sure.

Also the Waterfront is what I,m really looking forward to.

Great to find so many info here on CC. [emoji106]🏻One thing I also learned is to look on your cruise voucher if you should board at terminal B or C

Edited by jolgro