Late Dining - Snacking?

My husband and I booked late due to having to wait for vacation time to be approved. All that was left was late dining.

We did YTD last time, but this time we are going sans kids. I'm nervous about sitting with other people, but I'm social enough to deal with that.

However, we are used to eating early. For example, my husband often eats dinner at 4 or 5 p.m. and I usually eat by 6 p.m. Of course, my breakfast and lunch are usually light, and I assume they won't be light on the cruise.

For those with late dining, do you snack in the afternoon? For example, grab a slice of pizza or room service? Or am I a glutton?

We're just the opposite - we got early dining (on purpose) but at home we usually don't eat until 7~8:00 - many times even later - because of weird work hours.

BUT I know I get hungry if I get up early and despite my usual schedule of getting up every day between 9am and 10am, I expect to be up early on the cruise most days to try and pack as much fun in as I can.

So we are eating early dinner and I intend to graze all day everywhere I can. I think you'll be fine eating when and wherever you want to too. I certainly wouldn't think you are a glutton.

And I expect I'll get some late night room service on occasion too. Lol, maybe I'm the glutton so if you want, just stand near us and you will look perfectly reasonable. I'll cover for ya. ;)

I've always gone through the buffet between meals to "sample" some of the offerings. You can't gain 5+ pounds without eating a lot!

If we don't eat it, they don't need employees to cook and serve it so we are really just helping the economy. Go us! :D

We always choose late dining so that we don't have to rush back while in port to get ready for the early dinner. We usually hit the taste bar when available or grab some cheese and prosciutto from the buffet to take back to the cabin to snack on with a glass of wine while getting ready for dinner. It works great for us!

Edited by dane225

We always get late dining and I generally have a snack in the late afternoon/early evening to hold me over until dinner.

And I hope that you have as good table mates as we have had on our latest cruises. We used to get ATD so we could sit by ourselves but a few years ago, we decided to try late dining with a table for 6. We have met the nicest and most interesting people! We looked forward to dinner every night just to catch up with what everyone had done that day. Now, I would never go back to ATD.

We always get late dining and I generally have a snack in the late afternoon/early evening to hold me over until dinner.

And I hope that you have as good table mates as we have had on our latest cruises. We used to get ATD so we could sit by ourselves but a few years ago, we decided to try late dining with a table for 6. We have met the nicest and most interesting people! We looked forward to dinner every night just to catch up with what everyone had done that day. Now, I would never go back to ATD.

Funny we're the opposite, would never go back to a large table if we could avoid it much rather dine just the two of us.

But that is a bit of a luxury for us so we really enjoy it.

why not do MTD (YTD, ATD...) and go early. there's usually no wait when they first open up. then if you get hungry, you still have time to grab a grub from the lido

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Becuase they booked late and it wasn't available.

Yes eat a small snack to tide you over. They are discovering that you should me eating 5 smaller meals a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband and I booked late due to having to wait for vacation time to be approved. All that was left was late dining.

We did YTD last time, but this time we are going sans kids. I'm nervous about sitting with other people, but I'm social enough to deal with that.

However, we are used to eating early. For example, my husband often eats dinner at 4 or 5 p.m. and I usually eat by 6 p.m. Of course, my breakfast and lunch are usually light, and I assume they won't be light on the cruise.

For those with late dining, do you snack in the afternoon? For example, grab a slice of pizza or room service? Or am I a glutton?

Pizza and soft serve ice cream are 24/7. Room service is 24/7. Most items are free - a few are not. (We always tip the room service waiter upon delivery)

I may be confused (we never did this) but it seems like on the Sunshine there was a late night snack put out in the Lido.

We like late dining. If we're hungry late afternoon we grab a deli sandwich or pizza to tide us over. We always get a large table and really enjoy chatting with others about their travels. If your table mates are bad you can request that the maitre'd change your table.

We always do late dining. The taste bar is usually a great snack. If I am hungry when I get back from an excursion I might go to the deli or the pizza shop. I eat enough on a cruise, that when I get off of the ship I do not want to eat.

We usually eat lunch around 2pm. Sometimes we might grab something else light to eat around 5pm in the Lido when dinner starts but not usually.

We usually eat lunch around 2pm. Sometimes we might grab something else light to eat around 5pm in the Lido when dinner starts but not usually.

Exactly, when you are at an island, it is hard to eat at 12. This is why I prefer late dining.

For our first three cruises, we booked early, simply because that was what time we usually ate supper at home. However, on our third cruise, we needed to change dining rooms (we were on a smaller ship and the motion in the aft dining room was too much for a couple of us) and the only thing available was late dining. We found that we really enjoyed it since, during our vacation, we typically got up a little later, which meant we ate breakfast a little later, which meant we ate lunch a little later. LOL! The late dining worked great for us. There was no need to rush back from port to get ready (especially on elegant evening) and we would sometimes catch a little nap before supper.

On our upcoming trip, we've booked early dining since our friends with whom we're cruising prefer that. It's been quite a while since we've done early so we're going to try it again and see what we think.

As for your question about a snack, we usually do something. It may be a deli sandwich, a piece of pizza or ice cream/froyo. You can also go to Guy's and get just a plate of fries to share, if you'd like. Lots of options so go and ENJOY!