Viking Lyon & Provence

sondi 14

• 2 weeks later...
Spot on. We were at Chalonne sur Saone but Lyon would be better.

Photos

We hit Arles on May Day, hence the populace dressed up.

Thank you for sharing your photos of your trip to Southern France. Its my turn this November (with a 3-day Paris extension) and I am so looking forward to it.

Has anyone gone to Nice or Monaco independently after the river cruise ended?

We did after finishing the Uniworld cruise in Avignon. Rented a car and drove through Provence for another week, stopping in Manosque and then over to Valbonne. Drove into Cannes, and then over to Monaco. Then back north up to Champagne before returning to CDG for the flight home.

1. I'm glad we went to Provence, but don't need to return. So far my least-favorite part of France (aside from Arles and Avignon, which I love).

2. Valbonne is a lovely town that provides easy access to the coast but a relaxed getaway from its hustle and bustle once the day is over. Plenty of good food available there. The way stop in Manosque was largely to visit l'Occitane, which was a fascinating and enjoyable factory tour (that turned out to be fairly expensive due to the post-tour visit to the company store). :)

3. Monaco is perhaps the most vertical city I've ever been in; very difficult to drive and park there. I'd really find another way to get there - boat would seem ideal.

• 2 months later...

We are on the Viking Delling Lyon to Avignon May 10-17. We plan on skipping the steam train and visiting Tain l'Hermitage and Tournon on our own. We will have our own chocolate and wine tasting tour. It looks like this is a big Burgundy region with many wine cellars and restaurants at this stop.

We are on the Viking Delling Lyon to Avignon May 10-17. We plan on skipping the steam train and visiting Tain l'Hermitage and Tournon on our own. We will have our own chocolate and wine tasting tour. It looks like this is a big Burgundy region with many wine cellars and restaurants at this stop.

I like your idea also. Will you be using a private guide to visit Tain l'Hermitage and Tournon or will you be touring those towns on your own? If hiring a private guide, can you share his/her contact information?

I like your idea also. Will you be using a private guide to visit Tain l'Hermitage and Tournon or will you be touring those towns on your own? If hiring a private guide, can you share his/her contact information?

We will tour this stop on our own, it looks very manageable and it is unclear how long we will have in this port, I am thinking only half a day since we have an included tour in Viviers in the evening.

We are going June 7, plus early arrival in Paris. This will be our first river cruise, we will be on the Viking Delling. Any ideas for first river cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you done ocean cruises? If you have, be forewarned it is different... not better or worse, just different.

Much more relaxed.

You have more time to wander the towns you are in

You can bring on liquor & wines for your use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We received our cruise documents today for our May 10th cruise!!

Viking has added some additional optional excursions, has anyone done the Ardeche Gorge (called the Charming Ardeche) excursion from Tournon or the Beaujolais and Truffles from Lyon? Too many choices.

Still thinking of just doing Tain L'Hermitage on our own.

-Caroline

My husband and I did this on the Heimdahl. I did the Monaco/Eze excursion from Nice. Our time was really too short in Monaco but at least I can say that we saw the place. And I took my partner to lunch at a restaurant I had researched. (Tip-wear a nicer shirt next time so the owner doesn't think I work for the yacht club).

I did the train trip. It wasn't very interesting. I don't recall the seats being that bad. There was a first class section with padded seats. I didn't know about it going out but I found it on the way back. I didn't find the scenery that interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are considering engaging private guides for tours along the way, be aware that the sailing schedule can change with very little notice to the passengers. On the Delling last September the scheduled sailing to Macon was cancelled; the scheduled excursions became bus trips from Lyon. Passengers informed the evening before. The docking and evening tour of Viviers was cancelled completely. Passengers informed two hours before the scheduled docking.

• 6 months later...

Hi All, working on this Viking cruise for spring 2018, just not sure which direction to take. Not that interested in visiting Paris (been there 4 times in last few years). Any thoughts whether starting in Avignon or Lyon would be better, we would like to spend a few days at the beginning of our trip rather than after, we love the small towns, scenery, nice restuarants etc. Thanks!

Hi All, working on this Viking cruise for spring 2018, just not sure which direction to take. Not that interested in visiting Paris (been there 4 times in last few years). Any thoughts whether starting in Avignon or Lyon would be better, we would like to spend a few days at the beginning of our trip rather than after, we love the small towns, scenery, nice restuarants etc. Thanks!

My husband and I did Avignon to Lyon with pre trip in Nice. Went to Monaco and a few other places, Eze I think.

Just my 2 cents- We did the Lyon to Avignon. We flew to Lyon from NYC after stopping in Paris. From Avignon we took the TGV to Nice for 5 days. This allowed us to fly directly home from Nice to NY on Delta. Make it much quicker getting home. With Nice as a base there are many towns to visit. Viking arranged the air, everything else I did on my own. Good luck.