Britannia - Weighed in the balances and found wanting

socim

We decided to take a short cruise on Britannia to try out P&O for the first time. My partner has to eat a special diet which includes gluten free menus. Most chefs these days are aware of diets that include gluten free and low sugar needs and are skilled in their preparation. It is common to find areas set aside in the self service restaurants for example which have ready prepared snacks for such needs in addition to the kitchens being able to provide for special order main course meals. Whilst the chefs on Britannia can manage the latter they seem totally unable to do this in the pastry department. With the exception of gluten free bread at the dinner table, such attempts that they have made for us on this trip have been totally unedible and should never have left the kitchen. There is no provision for someone wanting a low sugar or gluten free snack on any of the serveries apart from the provision of gluten free corn flakes and gluten free toast at breakfast. This is the worst provision of any of the cruise ships we have so far experienced and should be a cause for concern.

Would agree to some extent. My Daughter is Gluten & Lactose Free & it is fair to say she has had some disasters on the pastry front but some superb sweets over the 12+ Cruises we have had with P&O. The problem can be resolved by highlighting any issues at the time to the Diets Head Waiter/ Rest Manager or if that does not work discuss with the Food & B Manager. Also supplement your options by ordering via diets @ Southampton beforehand, they are very helpful.

As has been posted did you highlight whilst on board to the rest .manager that although you wife was accommodated at meal times you could not find anything suitable at other venues.

Yes maybe something should already have been in place, but possibly no one has highlighted this in the past as being a problem.

We sat next to a couple one cruise and I think she had to have a gluten free diet. Next days menu was always brought to her each evening meal. She didn't mention during the cruise that she had any problems eating suitable items elsewhere on the ship.

We mention the dietary requirements when booking and are told the ship will be notified. The restaurant staff do already know when we board. As is usual we book special meals the night before with the manager. This doesn't affect the main comments. On a ship with 3,500 passengers how many would you expect to find these issues relevant? More than a few is my belief. Other cruise lines do better.

We mention the dietary requirements when booking and are told the ship will be notified. The restaurant staff do already know when we board. As is usual we book special meals the night before with the manager. This doesn't affect the main comments. On a ship with 3,500 passengers how many would you expect to find these issues relevant? More than a few is my belief. Other cruise lines do better.

I think you just answered your own question there didn't you!

I think most people who choose a gluten free lifestyle do not have celiacs disease. They probably make do with what is available. It sounds like they attempted make gluten free pastries but did not do it to your satisfaction? Perhaps some lovely fruit or a sugar free sorbet?

I can sympathise with this, I have an allergy to egg. It's one of those hidden ingredients used as a binding agent, emulsifier or glaze etc. In general I have to double check everything that is presented to me and at least three times on most cruises food has to go back to the galley. I have never in 14 years of cruising been given any sort of specially prepared pastry, if I order the beef wellie I get the beef without its wellie [emoji24] The chefs among you will know it's easy to prepare shortcrust pastry, scones etc. without egg but they don't do this in my experience. The P&O way of catering for my allergy is to simply remove offending items from the plate or tell me I can't order it. The fact that you order the night before just means they know to do this. Occasionally I find a little gem for example the apple tart tatin in MPW is glorious and naturally egg free - the only real dessert I get! Generally desserts are fruit salad, sorbet or some sort of flavoured gelatin wobbly thing. Having said all this I'm fairly relaxed because I know what to expect, and actually this is the same in pretty much any restaurant I go to. So few restaurants have created something bespoke for me that I remember them all and there are four - considering I travel with work that's not many! On a positive note the best service I have ever had regarding P&O allergy catering is the Britannia buffet, not because they did anything special but they recognised me and every time I went in the head chef told me what I could eat and had some sort of dessert for me. Generally the worst has been in some of the Speciality restaurants. It was on a ship that I learned to my cost that consommé soup is clarified with egg white! I would love to see Wagammama style allergy books in the Speciality restaurants, those menus don't change and it would be so wonderful to check without having to ask, the waiter trying to guess, eventually admitting defeat and disappearing to ask the chef.

Edited by Florry

On this subject I must just say that I similarly have to avoid gluten, not out of choice, but out of medical need, and I have sailed on P & O and Princess, both adopting a similar system. Ordering from the menu the night before.

I was delighted with the system on my recent Celebrity cruise, however. There I could order the night before, but as the menu had symbols denoting gluten free, or vegetarian, next to various items, it was perfectly possible to just order along with everyone else. It was so nice not to feel "different", plus sometimes you don't know what you fancy until you sit down. I have to say that on this matter Celebrity won, with other matters it was a different story.

Nancy