Price Drop when Final Payment Received

Marymommyof3

I just wanted to vent a little. I apologize if I have offended any of you. Some of your comments seem harsh. Others I thank you for your advice. We are not advanced cruisers like many of you so we had no idea of the policies and that all the mass cruise lines are the same. All I was looking for was some advice. So like one of you said "move on", I will.

Some people are just downright rude, I almost stopped reading this site because of them. I feel for you, our cruise dropped a total of $3500.....not offered an upgrade but an upsell, adding insult to injury. I didn't let it bother me much, I was just taken aback with the amount of the drop. I expect prices to go up and down but even our TA was surprised at the difference. I enjoyed our cruise, I hope you have a lovely time on yours.

Some people are just downright rude, I almost stopped reading this site because of them. I feel for you, our cruise dropped a total of $3500.....not offered an upgrade but an upsell, adding insult to injury. I didn't let it bother me much, I was just taken aback with the amount of the drop. I expect prices to go up and down but even our TA was surprised at the difference. I enjoyed our cruise, I hope you have a lovely time on yours.

Not referring to anyone here but typing behind a no name screen makes people bolder then they probably are in person. Ruder too. BUT, please make note of all the people who are not. Part of the rude is: what you consider rude I might not and visa versa. Some of us have been there done that often and forget that there are newbies. Or sometimes that newbie comes on and make such an outrageous comment that it is hard for us not to comeback with a harsh comment.

As to the OP, it is like anything in life. You buy it, you got it. The vast majority of people don't even know that they can check and maybe get a reduction in price. I sure didn't and I'm not anywhere close to a cruise virgin. I book it when I find the price I want. I am happy. I don't go in everyday to check. By the time last call comes into play I am so far into shore excursions that I don't care about the price.

If you got on a plane and asked what people paid I would doubt you would find more then two or three that paid the same price. Some higher some lower. Hotel rooms, plane tickets etc. Once the time period passes there is no chance of making money. So, what do they do? They have a flash sale. They need bodies in the seats. Period. They probably get crappy rooms. They probably can't take four people.

Many people plan months or even over a year to get the cruise and the cabin they want. Why should you then complain that you got your wanted cabin on the cruise you want and seriously, the cruise line is cheating you because they won't give you a refund. It is common business practice.

Only once in 30 years have I been offered an upsell. Never a discount. I have paid for many cabins on many cruises and none of those got a price reduction ever. That means my DS, my other DS, DD, spouses, kids, mother. We just went to our cabins and had a fun time.

Edited by notentirelynormal

While price changes have always been part of the system the age of modern computers has brought the concept of "dynamic pricing" into full focus. Cruise lines, hotels, airlines and entertainment venues have all jumped in and raise or lower prices as the market responds. All of these type of entities suffer from the fact that if they do not sell the usage of their cabin, room or seat for a given day or longer for a cruise then that opportunity is lost. In retail if you do not sell an item today you still have the chance to sell it in the future, although even there poor selling items are subject ultimately to price reduction.

In addition the cruise line, or the ball club wants to fill its venue with people who may then spend further money. The hot dog and beer at the ball game or the photo on the cruise are all profit centers that are enhanced when the house is full. Sometimes if I get onto a cruise at a "bargain" rate or into a show at half price I feel justified to myself to buy something extra. I am sure the cruise line appreciates that.