ORDERING MULTIPLES OFF MENU-and not eating it all?

octcruise10

I am wondering how many people will read your statement and really want to reply, but are afraid to blast it because the moderators would be upset? So I will keep my thoughts to myself:D

Why even post?

You are just rude!

I was wondering if it is frowned upon to order several things from the menu each night to "try" but not necessarily eat it all? I don't like waste but I am a foodie so I like to try different things and since they are not offering the same things each night I thought it would be ok?

Any thoughts?

If we are at the same table I will accept you for who you are and hope we find something we both like to chat about.

I am not going to spend one second looking at what you (or anyone else) orders or what is consumed. Nor am I going to spend one second on judging, frowning, evaluating your eating habits. It just doesn't matter to me. There are so many things in life that are more interesting to me. I would only have an opinion if I thought my way of doing things was the only correct way and I learned a long time ago that just isn't how it works.

The MDR is banquet style and food is cooked in large batches. If it isn't taken out to the diners, it then becomes excess and is thrown out at the end of the evening, any whos. Galleys don't pack up left overs to serve the next night and food isn't "cooked" to order like in a high class restaurant so there will always be waste.

Order what you want...excess food at your table or excess food in the kitchen goes to the same place. I'm sure the fishes love it when cruise ships pass overhead.

THIS! Anyone who thinks cruise ships don't waste enormous amounts of food every single day is delusional. Just because you don't waste what's on your plate doesn't mean it's not tossed in the kitchen. The "clean plate club" mentality is responsible for many people's bad eating habits. Some people have never learned how to stop eating when they're satisfied, since they were taught they needed to clean their plates.

To the original poster, order what you want, it's your vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a waiter, once, I believe was on the old NCL Majesty, MDR, he knew everything on the menu including ingredients and how it was cooked. If I even mentioned, 'that looked good', it was on my plate as a side. How many times did I have 2 desserts?

We had a waiter, once, I believe was on the old NCL Majesty, MDR, he knew everything on the menu including ingredients and how it was cooked. If I even mentioned, 'that looked good', it was on my plate as a side. How many times did I have 2 desserts?

Felix was his name.

I was wondering if it is frowned upon to order several things from the menu each night to "try" but not necessarily eat it all? I don't like waste but I am a foodie so I like to try different things and since they are not offering the same things each night I thought it would be ok?

Any thoughts?

So you think that is a good reason for you to waste food, I was brought up in a home where I was taught not to waste anything, so I am appalled at those who do, and there are many in the MDR but mostly on the Lido deck buffet.

THIS! Anyone who thinks cruise ships don't waste enormous amounts of food every single day is delusional. Just because you don't waste what's on your plate doesn't mean it's not tossed in the kitchen. The "clean plate club" mentality is responsible for many people's bad eating habits. Some people have never learned how to stop eating when they're satisfied, since they were taught they needed to clean their plates.

To the original poster, order what you want, it's your vacation.

Bad eating habits start with taking to much food for your first plate full, I was taught that you could always go back for more if your still hungry.

And for you another its your vacation, so don't worry about what other are thinking, is more bad advice.

So you think that is a good reason for you to waste food, I was brought up in a home where I was taught not to waste anything, so I am appalled at those who do, and there are many in the MDR but mostly on the Lido deck buffet.

The same amount is prepared regardless. It either goes out of the kitchen or straight to the trash. If someone wants to try something new but can't eat two full meals it is fine, no need to guilt them about it. The food isn't saved, frozen, served again, etc. It is thrown away either way. Ask the next time you are on the ship, or even better, ask for a tour of the kitchen. You don't have to take my word for it.

Edited by LMaxwell

You can order as you like. I love trying new things. I wish they could have things in little portions for people to try. I know they have the dishes all laid out of how they are suppose to look and come out in the full plate.

DH and went to a buffet in Las Vegas and loved how they served things. The food would come out in little ramekin dishes. So we could grab something and share it and not feel so bad for a huge amount of it not going to waste.

What we do is we order the entree we really want and then if we are interested in trying something we order it and share with the entire table. That usually means not much is wasted and the portion sizes are small compared to most landbased restaurants.

We do the same thing!!!

If we are at the same table I will accept you for who you are and hope we find something we both like to chat about.

I am not going to spend one second looking at what you (or anyone else) orders or what is consumed. Nor am I going to spend one second on judging, frowning, evaluating your eating habits. It just doesn't matter to me. There are so many things in life that are more interesting to me. I would only have an opinion if I thought my way of doing things was the only correct way and I learned a long time ago that just isn't how it works.

Love your thought process.:)

Well said and Thank you...It would be a privilege to be your table mate!

Yes, i really want to waste food...did you read my post?? before you started judging? I was brought up in a house if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything. Thank you for enlightening everyone about waste it is much appreciated.

I am really against food waste at home. I try to eat perishables first, freeze leftovers and eat them later, and not waste any food.

However, on a cruise, the food is part of the fun. I'm okay with that little bit of food waste, as long as it's just one week!

Any thoughts?

A cruise is a prefect time to try new or different foods that you normally wouldn't eat at home.

Everything is already plated in the kitchen and the servers just grab them and bring them out so they don't mind you ordering different items to try.

I once wanted a second lobster tail, the server said it comes as complete plate with the shrimp and sides so just eat what I want.

As other posters stated, they either bring it out to you to try or it gets thrown out, they don't save the plated food.

Enjoy your cruise and the food!:)

Love your thought process.:)

Well said and Thank you...It would be a privilege to be your table mate!

I would be happy to be your table mate, along with snowskier, GiftieEtcetera, tonit964, and any other reasonable posters in this thread. We can look around us to see if anyone looks APPALLED! :cool:

A cruise is a prefect time to try new or different foods that you normally wouldn't eat at home.

Everything is already plated in the kitchen and the servers just grab them and bring them out so they don't mind you ordering different items to try.

I once wanted a second lobster tail, the server said it comes as complete plate with the shrimp and sides so just eat what I want.

As other posters stated, they either bring it out to you to try or it gets thrown out, they don't save the plated food.

Enjoy your cruise and the food!:)

Yes, BUT Carnival is not dumb, they probably "plate" an extra 10% for guests-that-like-to-try-something-new-with-no-plans-on-eating-it-all.

If these guests stopped ordering food they have no intention on eating, CCL would adjust the number of "extra" plates, resulting in saving food and money. So ordering an extra plate and not eating it is wasteful (along with the Lido guests that abandon full plates of food).

One can rationalize it all you want, but ordering three entries just to "try" something is wasteful.

Yes, BUT Carnival is not dumb, they probably "plate" an extra 10% for guests-that-like-to-try-something-new-with-no-plans-on-eating-it-all.

If these guests stopped ordering food they have no intention on eating, CCL would adjust the number of "extra" plates, resulting in saving food and money. So ordering an extra plate and not eating it is wasteful (along with the Lido guests that abandon full plates of food).

One can rationalize it all you want, but ordering three entries just to "try" something is wasteful.

You're entitled to your opinion but in mine, it's not wasteful. IMO, there is nothing wrong with wanting to try different foods.

What's wasteful is if you know you do not like salmon, at all and you just order it for the sake of ordering it.

Any thoughts?

Ask for a smaller portion, on our recent Alaska cruise, I ask for smaller portions of things I just wanted to try and our server was very accommodating. If you don't ask, they can't say no.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

i would be happy to be your table mate, along with snowskier, giftieetcetera, tonit964, and any other reasonable posters in this thread. We can look around us to see if anyone looks appalled! :cool:

like:):):):):)