Disembarking

lneilan

I am trying to make plans for travelling from the pier when my ship docks at Canada Place. The ship is supposed to disembark at 7:00 am. Any ideas when we will really be off the ship and have our luggage?

Depends what you tell the front desk. What time is your flight? Will you carry off your bags? Do you have any priority for disembarking (Suite Pax, for example).

The HAL policy is to have every one off by 9:30. When you get off prior to that depends on what you tell the front desk when they send their survey around during your cruise.

We disembarked with a scheduled time of 845 in May, on a 3 ship morning. We picked up our bags and were through customs and waiting for my sister to pick us up in the parkade by 915.

Edited by Dobermangal

I'll add...

• 7am dock means the first walkoffs will be 7:30am. If you can manage to drag your own luggage across the plank.... you can debark at 7:30am.
  • do you want breakfast? Do you want a rushed breakfast? Personally I prefer to sleep in... especially the last day you lose an hour of sleep.
  • there is always a huge rush to leave the ship at the beginning. But if you are willing to hang back to 9:30am.... you avoid the crowds. While enjoying your sleep and breakfast.
  • what are you plans post cruise? catching a flight? sightseeing? Tell us more and we can provide a better plan for your debarking day.

I don't have plans, that's my problem. We will be arriving in Vancouver and heading to Seattle, but nothing is decided yet.

One of the buses leaves about 9 and one about 10:45 and was trying to get some info.

But I am still thinking of Amtrak too.

I am tired of making travel decisions this week!

Thoughts...

• 9am Quick Shuttle will get you to Seattle the fastest
  • 10:45am Quick Shuttle will allow you to sleep in and enjoy breakfast
  • Amtrak train doesn't leave until late afternoon. Need to leave your luggage somewhere like CDS baggage at the cruise terminal as you sightsee Vancouver for half the day.
  • no plans???? What about spending a few days in Vancouver post-cruise.... it's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined. They don't speak American... but the English is close enough.

Edited by xlxo

Regarding Amtrak Cascades, it leaves at 5:35 pm PDT. You could disembark and taxi to the Pacific Central Station to check your bags right away. Then do your day of sightseeing unencumbered.

Vancouver is a wonderful city for tourists with many unique attractions. We always enjoy going there and this time spent 1-1/2 days after our cruise in May, then traveled back to Seattle on the Cascades for our flight home.

Thanks, I have no schedule, just planning for when we leave.

Then absolutely, positively, do not rush. Sleep in as long as you can. Have a leisurely breakfast, and wait as long as possible before you leave the ship.

The crowds will be gone, and the elevators freed up. Most of the luggage will be gone from the terminal, and you'll more easily be able to find yours. Porters (should you want one) will be more readily available.

Because I need assistance disembarking the ship, more than once I have heard the "Final Call"---the third time. It's not my choice to wait quite that long, but it sure is easier that way.

Regarding Amtrak Cascades, it leaves at 5:35 pm PDT. You could disembark and taxi to the Pacific Central Station to check your bags right away. Then do your day of sightseeing unencumbered.

Vancouver is a wonderful city for tourists with many unique attractions. We always enjoy going there and this time spent 1-1/2 days after our cruise in May, then traveled back to Seattle on the Cascades for our flight home.

Much as I enjoy the Cascades train, this info is not quite correct - since the station is run by VIA, not Amtrak, and VIA trains are not daily, luggage storage is sporadic - you can either check bags early but have to collect them by 1pm, or can leave them late but cannot store them until noon. The times vary seasonally but unless your cruise is VERY late the current schedule will very likely remain relevant...

I would use CDS at the pier or a hotel bell desk, returning for bags at 4pm for either, then cabbing to Pac Central. You must be there 1 hour pre-departure for US pre-clearance, so CDS' early closure actually works just fine for train peeps.