What to do if Southwest cancels flight?

egvra76

We usually fly Southwest. I've had to cancel a flight in the past for whatever reason & have had a sort of large amount of refund due to a price drop. If you receive refunds & have them as a credit, you must use them within a year of original booking date.

can i make a reservation beyond the original booking date?(somehow stretchin' it)... or do i need to be at the seat of a plane before?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

can i make a reservation beyond the original booking date?(somehow stretchin' it)... or do i need to be at the seat of a plane before?

I am pretty sure you have to be in a seat on the plane within one year of original booking date. One time we had a $200 credit, then a flash sale came up & we used it to book a non planned escape weekend. It was wonderful not paying for that flight. Good luck & enjoy your cruise. We've never had a major issue with Southwest, but of course there can always be some unexpected problem come up.

If SW cancels your flight, you will be put on the next available flt. BUT remember 130 other people were also on that flt and it will take days to get all 130 on new flts. You have become a statistic and they wont inconvenience any other passengers to help you because that just makes their on time performance even worst. So you will wait maybe days, and if its weather related, you wont be put up in a hotel.

BUT.... It has been my experience that SW never has only one flight from A to B... Usually about 5-7 per day (including connections). So if you book the first flight out, you almost always have alternatives.

Also, SW is one of the better airlines to deal with WHEN everything goes to hell. Their res agents seem to still care, and will go way out of their way to help you re plan in a "situation"... Which is more than I can say about most of the legacy carriers.

But as always.... there are "rules" for cruise ship passengers: (And I'm speaking as a former airline pilot):

1) Go out 2 days early. (Nothing worse than loosing your long planned vacation due to the airline... NOTHING)

2) NEVER accept less than a 2 hour connection, ANYWHERE. In todays airline environment, there are WAY too many things that delay flights...

3) Look out for flights "operated by" That almost always means commuter flights, which delay and cancel at 2-3 times the frequency as their main stream partners....

Based on real experience, do Southwest provide hotel and meal vouchers?Will they reimburse me for the hotel that i booked on FLL in the event i was a no-show due to their hiccups?We're flying 2 days early so i think we're on the safe side, if anything i just want to get to know WN better. Thanks

Based on real experience, do Southwest provide hotel and meal vouchers?Will they reimburse me for the hotel that i booked on FLL in the event i was a no-show due to their hiccups?We're flying 2 days early so i think we're on the safe side, if anything i just want to get to know WN better. Thanks

If the delay or missed flight is due to weather, no they don't give any compensation. If it is something that is in their control, plane breaking or something they should. My experience it was always weather even though no other airlines had trouble due to the same weather.

Don't over think it now that you've made your decision. You should be fine w/ 2 days and time of year you are in. Best bet if you are still concerned, get travel insurance to help cover costs if something does happen.

Will they reimburse me for the hotel that i booked on FLL in the event i was a no-show due to their hiccups

Will they "reimburse" you for the hotel that you have already booked?

That would be a No.

They have their own hotels that they are contracted with. If they determine that it is their responsibility to put you and your family up for the night, they will give you vouchers for the hotel they are contracted with.

If the delay or missed flight is due to weather, no they don't give any compensation. If it is something that is in their control, plane breaking or something they should. My experience it was always weather even though no other airlines had trouble due to the same weather.

Don't over think it now that you've made your decision. You should be fine w/ 2 days and time of year you are in. Best bet if you are still concerned, get travel insurance to help cover costs if something does happen.

I did spent the entire week stalking SW's flight status, perhaps more than the cruise we're going into (LoL).I remember booking this flight back in April and just tossing it aside , well not until last week's debacle. But yep, i should probably just relax now:)