Epic European Adventure -Trip Report 7/1-7/11/16

Great review! We leave on this cruise in April and I've been taking LOTS of notes from your thread :)

We'll be in Europe for a total of 12 days and I have to ask a question that has been stressing me out -- what did you do about laundry??? Did you pack enough clothes for the whole trip? I'm leaning against this, because we're taking the train from Paris to Barcelona and I don't want to be lugging around a bunch of heavy suitcases. But, if that's the only option then we'll deal with it.

Great review! We leave on this cruise in April and I've been taking LOTS of notes from your thread :)

We'll be in Europe for a total of 12 days and I have to ask a question that has been stressing me out -- what did you do about laundry??? Did you pack enough clothes for the whole trip? I'm leaning against this, because we're taking the train from Paris to Barcelona and I don't want to be lugging around a bunch of heavy suitcases. But, if that's the only option then we'll deal with it.

I don't know if it's any help, but on the Wednesday, there was a Laundry Bag special for USD 19.95 (or USD 19.99, but it was definitely under 20 dollars!:)) If you filled the paper laundry bag (and you can squash quite a few things in), then you paid the fixed price for washing, drying, and everything was returned beautifully folded within 2 days.

First of all great review, my family is going in May so we are looking forward to the adventure. You mention that you only took 200 euros and had money left over at the end. I was wondering if all the gift shops you purchased items from took your credit card as well as restaurants, etc.? The euros were used for tips,taxis and misc small items? I'm trying to figure out how much we need to bring in euros ourselves.

Thanks again

Thank you! We paid by credit card for everything other than small purchases, some cabs and tips. We found that cabs in Barcelona generally took credit cards, but cabs in Italy did not. Also, each one of the adults took 200 euros each, so we had a total of 600 euros in cash to cover 5 people. This worked out really well for us.

Thank you! I only brought a carry-on and didn't do laundry, but I wore mostly light sundresses that don't wrinkle. I was able to pack 8 dresses, 4 tops and two pairs of shorts, in addition to yoga clothes for travel. I did have to rinse my bras out in the shower because we got a little sweaty on a few days. Also, due to the boot, I only had to bring right shoes and not pairs :) My advice is to pack about a week in advance and then continue to think about it and take things out of the suitcase until the day you leave. I still brought too many tops but did pretty well overall. I realize that it's a lot harder with kids so I can't provide any advice there.

Thank you! We paid by credit card for everything other than small purchases, some cabs and tips. We found that cabs in Barcelona generally took credit cards, but cabs in Italy did not. Also, each one of the adults took 200 euros each, so we had a total of 600 euros in cash to cover 5 people. This worked out really well for us.

Thank You for responding, sounds like we need to plan around 600 euros for our family of three.

Three years ago, my daughter and I traveled for 5 weeks through Europe, including a 12-night Baltic cruise. We each had a carry-on and a backpack and that was all. In my travels, I've learned I need fewer pants and shorts than I always seem to think I do, so we cut down on those and every top matched every bottoms so we could do lots of mixing and matching. We handwashed our undergarments, and took advantage of the laundry service on the ship (we were Platinum on the line so had free laundry). We knew we'd buy a few t-shirts as souvenirs, so that meant we could pack fewer tops. For shoes, we each took only the pair we wore on the flight and one more. And, we're not small people (I'm 6'1" and my girl is 5'8") so it's not like our clothes were smaller than average. LOL. I just refused to go through 13 countries lugging a bunch of suitcases. If you really think it out and plan, IMHO, it would be easy to do 12 days with carry-on and a backpack per person. Good luck!!

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

• 4 weeks later...
Since the Concierge takes you down to Cirque show which tickets do you have to purchase? We want to make sure we are on the floor.

If you want to sit close to the stage (where you may be selected to participate in the show), purchase premium tickets. If you want to set back a bit under the balcony overhang, purchase standard tickets. TBH, those seats looked like it would be difficult to see everything that's going on (I sat in the balcony).

Since the Concierge takes you down to Cirque show which tickets do you have to purchase? We want to make sure we are on the floor.

As QuiltingCruiser noted, you have to buy the more expensive tickets to sit right on the floor. If not, even with the Haven, you will end up at the edge of the room. I sat at the front corner of the table so I was roughly 2 feet from the "stage" and had an amazing view. I think you would also have a great view from the balcony without the danger of being asked to participate in the show :)

Thanks for the review. After seeing the pictures, we decided to switch to your room. I don't know if Manolito will be our butler, too, but other than the door stop confusion, do you have any more thoughts on his service/ideas how to communicate with him?

Thanks!