Visa paywave/paypass?

Mum81

We are booked on a cruise that will see us having 2 days in waikiki beforehand and one day in Maui. I am planning on loading funds onto my DC Tag (waterproof wristband you can swim with) instead of carrying and leaving large amounts of cash or cards sitting on a beach. What I want to know is: Do most major bars/restaurants/stores in Hawaii use Visa paywave or paypass? I will of course carry a small amount of cash for emergencies & tipping.

I don't think they use paywave over there. When we were there in May they either swiped our cards and we signed or we put it in with the chip and used the PIN. I even explained to one shop in Maui how the paywave works in Aus.

There was a limited effort to use it a few years ago. I had an atm card with it, but it didn't continue after that card expired.

We barely have chipped cards in the US. The big banks that make those decisions have decided that US consumers and businesses do not have the mental ability to use a chipped card with a PIN. So we are getting chipped cards with signature....a minimal improvement at best.

Oh...and to add to the misery, many, many, many chipped card readers are not yet active because the software to use them is either unavailable or not ready for prime time. The standard and archaic mag stripe cards are still the de facto norm.

So, if you want access to your vacation funds, I suggest something other than Paywave.

Edited by thinfool

In Aus we can choose to use paywave/paypass for purchases of less than $100 for debit and credit cards. All of our cards have chips (I don't think there are any old ones left without chips but I could be wrong) and if you choose not to use paywave/paypass or if your purchase is over $100 then you just insert your card at the chip end and use the PIN. Our credit cards by law have to use a PIN, except when using paywave, we can't just swipe and sign anymore. This was introduced about two years ago and is seen as an increase in security.

Edited by mongee

I'm not sure about Paywave specifically. I haven't really seen it at bars and restaurants at all, but at places like Longs drugs or McDonalds I have seen similar technology if not payave specifically. My husband frequently pays with his apple watch at places like that. So some places certainly have the technology the question really is if they are setup to use paywave or just the other ones like applepay. Definitely I'd say no as far as bars and restaurants though.

~Katy

Cash is not harmed by getting wet...stick it in your hubby's velcroed pocket!

Or get a water wallet! Keeps things dry and you can keep it with you. I use one as my regular wallet right now, a small one fits a few cards, ID, and a reasonable amount of cash.

~Katy