Recent ...NCL Gem

$hip$hape

What was the outcome of this event?

"On Sunday, the United States Coast Guard was forced to medevac two passengers off a Norwegian Cruise Line ship as it sailed near the coast of Virginia.

According to WAVY.com, watchstanders in Portsmouth, Virginia, were notified that two male passengers aboard the Norwegian Gem cruise ship were dealing with a medical emergency at 2:13 a.m. local time Sunday morning."

I was just wondering why the Coast Guard would be "forced" to deal with two pax at 2:13 am?

Edited by $hip$hape

It's just semantics. People had a medical emergency. Not a big deal or very rare. Nothing to see here, people...

I know it isn't rare. I think there's been a medical emergency on every cruise I've done, including a norovirus outbreak on the last (I didn't cause it, btw). I read the news article about this one, and it was the wording of it that made it sound like something more than an average emergency had occurred.

Night-time medevac are pretty dangerous even for trained USCG first responders, although the GEM was reported to be only about 75 miles off the coast, unlike the night before with the Breakaway where a long-range medevac was successfully launched - both a MH-60 Jayhawk chopter and aircraft were needed to fly the mission (possible ??? mid-air chopter refueling & support) ... it's not exactly like an Uber-X ride, taxpayers like you & me ultimately foot the bills.

The news article I read did not use those words in verbatim, however.

Source -

http://wavy.com/2016/07/24/2-airlifted-from-cruise-ship-60-miles-off-virginia-coast/

From another news USCG medevac article,

“Anyone with medical considerations should remember to consult with his or her physician before heading offshore and if prescribed medication to bring extra,” said Capt. Patricia Hill, Sector North Carolina Commander. “Complications from diabetes, asthma, and allergic reactions are just a few common examples of medical issues that could arise when people head to sea.

Adding to the list of the usual acute trauma case like cardiac arrest, CVA or stroke, accidental falls with spinal injuries, pool incidents - it's more common than you think with today's cruise ship demographics ... should listen to our live EMS dispatch locally, plenty of excitement.

Forced to deal could simply meant having to prioritize and triage ... perhaps NCL should begin to offer private air ambulance options as a rider to their packages, LOL. ;)

Edited by mking8288

Actually you have no reason to ever be told about the situation or condition or outcome of this medevc unless you are immediate kin

A general report is all you should expect stating there was a coast guard call

Actually, we all know that. No one asked for names. No one asked for outcomes. No one is "expecting" anything. But when something is made public, some people have a natural curiosity about what might have happened, and sometimes people who were on the cruise might know a little more.

Some posters are taking this thread waaaaaaay too seriously. The OP simply asked an innocent question out of curiosity, and only one person, mking8288, has actually attempted to answer the question that was asked. If you don't know, fine. No worries. But there's no need for HIPPA lectures.

What was the outcome of this event?

"On Sunday, the United States Coast Guard was forced to medevac two passengers off a Norwegian Cruise Line ship as it sailed near the coast of Virginia.

According to WAVY.com, watchstanders in Portsmouth, Virginia, were notified that two male passengers aboard the Norwegian Gem cruise ship were dealing with a medical emergency at 2:13 a.m. local time Sunday morning."

I was just wondering why the Coast Guard would be "forced" to deal with two pax at 2:13 am?

Actually' date=' we all know that. No one asked for names. No one asked for outcomes. No one is "expecting" anything. But when something is made public, some people have a natural curiosity about what might have happened, and sometimes people who were on the cruise might know a little more.

Some posters are taking this thread waaaaaaay too seriously. The OP simply asked an innocent question out of curiosity, and only one person, mking8288, has actually attempted to answer the question that was asked. If you don't know, fine. No worries. But there's no need for HIPPA lectures.

[emphases added]

Well, just to clarify, the OP did ask specifically about the outcome:

From above: "What was the outcome of this event?"

Actually' date=' we all know that. No one asked for names. No one asked for outcomes. No one is [i']"expecting" [/i]anything. But when something is made public, some people have a natural curiosity about what might have happened, and sometimes people who were on the cruise might know a little more.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the original post most certainly does ask for the outcome

The outcome is more than likely a personal medical issue and no ones business

Actually you are the one making a big deal about this issue

Reread your posts 2 5 and 8

Hippa lectures now that's funny considering your inquiring mind regarding this evac

Edited by luvtheships

some posters are taking this thread waaaaaaay too seriously. The op simply asked an innocent question out of curiosity' date=' and only one person, mking8288, has actually attempted to answer the question that was asked. If you don't know, fine. No worries. But there's no need for hippa lectures.[/quote']

I agree with you!