Norwegian Jewel - Service Charges

Hi there

We have booked a cruise on Norwegian Jewel from Sydney in January 2018. I have had the service charges removed from our invoice as I would be happier tipping on an individual basis. My travel agent has assured me that although when I board the ship the service charges will be put back on my account I can go to guest services to have these removed.

Just wondering if anyone has had a successful experience with having service charges removed.

Very excited about the trip - 16 days from Sydney and the Jewel looks fab!

Im not sure where you are based, as it is possible that the rules are different dependent on where you booked. I can only report on what has been reported, mainly from people in the US. It could be different for you I suppose.

The charge will be added back to your bill and you will have to pay it. You can then claim a refund by filling in a form and the money will be refunded to you. I believe it takes somewhere between a long time and a very long time to be refunded.

I'm only reporting on other peoples experience. Personally I have never seen any point in creating myself a load of extra work when it's all taken care of for us.

For US booked cruises, the daily service charge is not included in your purchase price of the cruise. The daily service charge is accrued each day you are on board and is posted on your final statement each day. May be different in other countries when cruises is purchased. Don't know.

Hi there

We have booked a cruise on Norwegian Jewel from Sydney in January 2018. I have had the service charges removed from our invoice as I would be happier tipping on an individual basis. My travel agent has assured me that although when I board the ship the service charges will be put back on my account I can go to guest services to have these removed.

Just wondering if anyone has had a successful experience with having service charges removed.

Very excited about the trip - 16 days from Sydney and the Jewel looks fab!

YOU might be happier tipping on an individual basis, but if you remove the Service Charges it is possible that those you've tipped in cash might have to turn it in to be pooled in order to include those you didn't tip who are in the pool and for it to be distributed according to NCL procedures.

I don't know your country location but if you are in the US the service charges will be added to your account each day and no way to remove them from your Shipboard account. You go to Guest Services and ask for the Remove Service Charges form and then AFTER your cruise you follow the directions on the form to have the charges refunded.

Thank you so much. We are in Australia. Norwegian are starting new cruises out from Sydney later this year.

Check with the Sydney office to be sure. Australian bookings are new, I think, as NCL recently opened the office there. I haven't heard other Australians comment on this. It may be that you can still have the charges removed from your on-board account while on the ship, but the process now is as stated above: you pay the charges, submit a form, and then wait for a check to come in the mail.