Help me decide a cruise (it's down to two) to bring my daughter along

greenfroggie

We're planning a Pacific coastal cruise in the fall and the two real choices are Princess - Crown Princess and RCI - Explorer of the Seas.

We've both sailed plenty on our own, before kids, and thus we have good Princess "points" and I do like the itinerary better, but it seems Princess does not have baby sitting for our 1yo.

RCI seems like it would be better for our daughter (seems more kid friendly) and they do have baby sitting, but the itinerary is less desirable (though very similar!) and less desirable departure date. Only one of us has been with RCI before and 20 years ago. It might be the more 'new' experience?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Honestly for a 1 year old the cruise is for you. She won't remember it. She might have fun while there, but she'll have fun anywhere with mom and dad.

The most kid friendly lines we've discovered are Disney and RCI. They have toddler splash areas (you can't take kids who are not toilet trained into the pools, even if wearing swim diapers. It is a violation of USPHS rules). They are brighter and colorful, and the staff is very used to dealing with infants and toddlers. And as you noted, they have babysitting so you can have some "alone time" if you wish.

I know, people will say that Princess is great with little kids. IMHO, not compared to the two named above. Princess is OK with little kids.

If it were me...I'd either leave the baby home with grandma (if that's an option) and have a great adult cruise OR select a ship and line that are very kid friendly and have a great family cruise. And yes, I've traveled with my daughter beginning at 8 weeks!

Only some Royal Caribbean ships have infant splash pools, and the Explorer does not seem to be one of them. Nor do they have the Royal Babies nursery. You can arrange for in room babysitting if you want.

I still think that Royal should be your choice if you think you will be cruising again. They have a better loyalty program and a better overall kids program, so that as your daughter gets older you can take advantage of that.

However, you also cannot go wrong with Princess, so if you do not care about loyalty programs, take the cruise that suits you best right now.

The EOS has some of it's Pac NW 7 night cruises for $149pp cruise fare (plus port & gov.) At that kind of price, it's too good to pass up IMO. Not sure what the coastal pricing is but last time I looked, it was really reasonable too.

There's a lot more to do on the EOS but you might get pretty tired walking all over. Make sure you bring an umbrella stroller - you'll need it on either ship.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Thanks we decided to stick with the much better itinerary and go for Princess. We'll just figure out evenings or take turns watching or just crashing.

Have a great time on the cruise and take a lot or pictures so you can show her when she grows up. I wish my mother took me on a Princess cruise I would have become elite without having to pay LOL :D

Tony