Falmouth

Zigggypup

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, I just re-read my above post, and what I MEANT to say is that yes I wouldn't venture outside the gates, because I would not feel comfortable. Others might, but I wouldn't. Our bus driver on the excursion advised us NOT to leave the gated area, but to shop & get food inside, as he (native Jamaican) said it wasn't safe for tourists.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It has been a few years since I was there, but directly outside the Falmouth port gates is a tourist shopping area. Lots of small shops selling the usual stuff but also locally made items.

I can appreciate that some may feel uncomfortable in that milieu as there are usually some aggressive peddlers and Jamaican accents can be difficult to parse. But in the shopping area proper I never felt particularly uncomfortable.

It has been a few years since I was there, but directly outside the Falmouth port gates is a tourist shopping area. Lots of small shops selling the usual stuff but also locally made items.

I can appreciate that some may feel uncomfortable in that milieu as there are usually some aggressive peddlers and Jamaican accents can be difficult to parse. But in the shopping area proper I never felt particularly uncomfortable.

Your description is accurate as I perceived it. Just to add there is a heavy presence of what I will call tourism representatives that monitor the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, last time we were in Falmouth we did a tour with Jamaican Culinary Tours. It was amazing! I'm wondering if it will be exactly the same though if we repeat it though (which wouldn't be all bad...) Has anyone done this tour more than once? What was your experience like?

I also noticed there might be another company doing a similar tour. Any comparison between them?

Thanks!

Outside the gate isn't any different than most other Caribbean stops. Plenty of police presence. There is a really cool food tour that we took last stop. 5 or 6 stops, plenty of food, and you get to see a bit of the city too. I would highly recommend it. The pattys are great.

http://jamaicaculinarytours.com/

Thanks for this recommendation! I have it bookmarked now, for our next visit to Jamaica, hopefully in 2017.