Might have to cancel - leave 7th August

Glad he is recovering well- there is a lot of pressure on them at this age especially if exams (school and uni) are being taken.

I am not sure anyone was judging you some of us were just relaying previous experiences. My take of not over supervising comes from my own experience with my daughter after she was diagnosed with diabetes - It is hard to leave them to there own devices - this is natural response to any issues with our children - I was not singling out his issues.

However, I raised the point of letting the insurance know as we have come up against issues in past when I took ill between issue and travel also not an annual cover they were strict and did not allow me to travel as any further urgent treatment would have involved airlift Caribbean to the States and a long stay in hospital (I had bean declared fit to travel by medical team although the issue may return at any time) they forced cancellation and paid all costs including excess.

Also just to pick up on another point, in case others read on here, I am now disabled and I do have to let airlines and cruises know and they do have the right to veto my travel if they have already booked so many other disabled on (this also applies to the blind as well).

Again I hope all works well and you all enjoy your cruise

Edited by fragilek

Glad he is recovering well- there is a lot of pressure on them at this age especially if exams (school and uni) are being taken.

I am not sure anyone was judging you some of us were just relaying previous experiences. My take of not over supervising comes from my own experience with my daughter after she was diagnosed with diabetes - It is hard to leave them to there own devices - this is natural response to any issues with our children - I was not singling out his issues.

However, I raised the point of letting the insurance know as we have come up against issues in past when I took ill between issue and travel also not an annual cover they were strict and did not allow me to travel as any further urgent treatment would have involved airlift Caribbean to the States and a long stay in hospital (I had bean declared fit to travel by medical team although the issue may return at any time) they forced cancellation and paid all costs including excess.

Also just to pick up on another point, in case others read on here, I am now disabled and I do have to let airlines and cruises know and they do have the right to veto my travel if they have already booked so many other disabled on (this also applies to the blind as well).

Again I hope all works well and you all enjoy your cruise

Ok thank you - I can see that if you are " registered " disabled and require special facilities etc they can only take so many , but on a cruise ship generally - I would hazard a guess a high proportion have some condition or other. I have and my other son has unfortunately

Ive not eaten or slept properly in 72 hours worrying ( my condition lol ) so Im going to try and focus on ironing my clothes and planning our trip etc

I'm glad things are better with your son. This cruise may be just the thing he needs right now. (It may also be what you need too. [emoji846]) If you had to cancel, that may have been more stressful for him if he felt that he was "to blame" for the cancellation. Recent events mean that this cruise may be different for your family than you had expected, but that does not mean it won't be a wonderful trip. I'm sure you will keep an eye on him and worry like a mom does, but you all can have a good time despite concerns you probably never thought you would have to deal with.

I wish you and your family well (in all senses of the word).

Bon voyage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm glad things are better with your son. This cruise may be just the thing he needs right now. (It may also be what you need too. [emoji846]) If you had to cancel, that may have been more stressful for him if he felt that he was "to blame" for the cancellation. Recent events mean that this cruise may be different for your family than you had expected, but that does not mean it won't be a wonderful trip. I'm sure you will keep an eye on him and worry like a mom does, but you all can have a good time despite concerns you probably never thought you would have to deal with.

I wish you and your family well (in all senses of the word).

Bon voyage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you ever so much - this is so true. Because of the build up of stress - my son fixated on BREXIT and the UK leaving Europe etc and whilst his ideas were actually rational and very well thought out - the mania came as he thought no one was listening to him and thus his thoughts became irrational and grandoise. As he was just grandoise in his ideas - and Not psychotic or violent etc - thats why he is treated at home and has reaponded well. After 48 hours he can see his rational was off kilter

Today he deleted all his ideas from Facebook on how to save the UK from the fallout of Brexit and said if the MPs can have a summer break so is he ! So it was very scary to see it happen but Im so glad with decent sleep and apparently just a low dose of meds he is better. He was indeed worrying that he might not get his holiday.

In an emergency for this type of issue its really just sedate and sleep. Had we been flying to USA etc and our usual road trip then i may have just cancelled but this is a relaxing holiday in Europe and we are of course ( at the mo ) part of EU and have EUCC medical cards ( free emergency treatment )

I dont really care about whether insurance will pay as ( not bragging ) Im not short of a few bob or two and will just pay what ever I needed in the unlikely event the meds suddenly decide to stop working etc and he needed help. We caught it very fast as in my previous ( now retired ) profession I represented mentally ill patients and instantly recognised the signs.

Im rambling .... Thanks again :)

Well now that it is known he is sick - the insurance will not cover additional medical cost related to him going on vacation such as ship medical, medical in some port, flight back - unless some doctor signs he is 100% fit to travel before they go....

Sorry...but I don't believe this is true under the circumstances related to the OP's situation...and I certainly don't think RCI is going to require a signed document by the doctor saying he (the DS) is "100%" fit to travel :rolleyes:

OP

Glad things have calmed down. That had to be a scary situation.

I suffer from Bi-polar manic/depression yo yo situations. If I am not actively suffering from a manic episode there is no reason to not travel. People with all sorts of medical issues that travel on cruise. I am on daily medications that keep me pretty stable.