Zika causes pause is in planning

Presentation

Well, I've actually had Zika so no, I am not worried. It's not as bad as the flu. The only possible concern is the risk to unborn babies. That's something each person has to determine for themselves. The same way women make their own risk-assessments about what food/drink and activities they consider safe during pregnancy. Some women take every possible precaution, and some are more relaxed.

• 3 weeks later...
We decided to put a pause in our cruise planning until we see how this one plays out.

I'm making no judgment on other people's decisions, just curious if anyone else has given thought to this?

Governor: 4 new Zika cases likely came from Fla. mosquitoes

http://usat.ly/2ahmqaz

ZIKA was a consideration but not enough to prevent us from travelling. Precautions will be necessary yes, for example, wearing light weight long sleeve shirts and pants would probably be a good suggestion for Puerto Rico for example. Having said that though, we are an LGBT couple without children and have zero plans for having children in the future so had either of us been a female who is pregnant or wants to have children in the future, I would have either postponed or found an alternative destination to avoid the higher risks areas. :)

We decided to put a pause in our cruise planning until we see how this one plays out.

I'm making no judgment on other people's decisions, just curious if anyone else has given thought to this?

Governor: 4 new Zika cases likely came from Fla. mosquitoes

http://usat.ly/2ahmqaz

I am not in a demographic that needs to worry about it, I live at Ground Zero( first cases in FL are in my home county) and I was in an airplane less than a month after 9/11. Flying Internationally. has not and will not in any way affect my travel plans.

This is like not cruising because of the threat of terrorism. We live in Florida, an hour north of Miami. The media is blowing this out of proportion- we're not concerned.

There are almost 20 million people in Florida and there 4-5 cases reported. Anyone pregnant you are cruising with?

If not, what is the problem? Mosquitoes do not live on ships, and if you are overly concerned there's Deet!

Edited by loubetti

I did a land vacation to Puerto Rico this past April/May. Lovely time, lovely place at two beach resorts (one on main island, one on Vieques). Just added DEET to my morning regimen before going out. I got no bites while outside of the San Juan area. BUT, my last night, I stayed in Old San Juan. Walked along the port walk (right where Carnival docks), sat at Darsenas Square and listed to a band play. Next morning, I had two bites... no Zika appearance, though.

As with everything, you can collect all the anecdotes you want. But, it is your decision...