Thanksgiving holiday and traffic

ozscotart

Hello all

We are going on the Oosterdam from Tampa on 18th November returning to Tampa on 25th November and then have to fly out later that afternoon from Orlando to Glasgow.

Now you will need to forgive us for being vague Brits but it has only just occurred to me this is a holiday weekend and maybe there'll be a bit of traffic ? I rang HAL (UK) about disembarkation times, they tell me the earliest is 7.15 but they don't do transfers to Orlando airport only Tampa . I thought we could pick up a car at Tampa and drive to Orlando , we need to be there by about 2pm.

Do you think this is realistic ? Do you have a better suggestion?

Cheers !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The 25th is the day after Thanksgiving, so it's not a peak automobile travel day. It is, however, a peak shopping day. You may be better off hiring a car to pick you up and drop you off. I'm not sure how much time you would lose with rental car pick up and return. That Friday is also a relatively slow air travel day. However, relatively slow + Orlando still equals pretty busy.

As mentioned, that day is not a significant travel day in the US. Many people make it a four day weekend, either as their employer is closed or they take the day off. It is also unlikely that any road construction will be active that day to impede the drive.

Do be sure to have a backup plan if it should happen that your arrival is delayed due to fog. While it is infrequent, it does occur often enough from November through March that you ought to have the possibility in mind.

I do also suggest you post your question in the Florida Departures forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

You will probably be heading to Orlando on I-4, and as you approach the attractions area (Disney, etc.) the traffic will be monstrous. Your best bet is to get off I-4 onto the GreeneWay (SR-417) and spring for the tolls to avoid the interstate. Get off the GreeneWay at the Boggy Creek Rd. exit (new flyover just completed) and enter the airport through the south entrance.

If your flight is at 2, and you're on the road by 9 or maybe a little earlier, you should be okay.

Edited by hrhdhd

If you can get off before 8:30 or so you should have no problem IMO. It's about 85 miles, or 1h:20m drive time if you take the route suggested above by hrhdhd above.

If your flight is at 2, and you're on the road by 9 or maybe a little earlier, you should be okay.
He said "we need to be there by about 2pm. " so the flight could be later. Edited by jtl513

Be sure to load the Waze app onto your phone. It will provide the quickest route to the Orlando airport (MCO). It is free and uses crowdsourcing to alert drivers of construction, police and other delays. There are several rental car agencies near the Tampa port.

Tampa to Orlando should get a pretty safe three hour drive, even if you do hit some traffic on I-4.
:confused: It's about 85 miles. What are you driving? :confused:

Edited by jtl513

:confused: It's about 85 miles. What are you driving? :confused:.

Any vehicle through the mess that will be the attractions, the outlet malls, your average lost tourists, and the assorted uninspected cars along I-4 between 535 and the BeachLine. :)

You will be driving I-4 between Tampa and Orlando - and then getting to the airport. Have you EVER driven that stretch of I-4?
Only about 20>25 times, although I'll admit that it was never on the day after Thanksgiving. We've cruised out of Tampa twice, and each time the total drive between our house near Cocoa Beach and the Channelside terminal was around 2.5 hours each way.

Edited by jtl513

Just off Mapquest - which showed under present LIGHT traffic conditions the 116 miles from Tampa port to Orlando international would take 1:46 -- that is averaging over 60 mph. I've driven from Sanford (north of Orlando) to Tampa a number of times when we could hardly make 60 at all - and spent much time at a dead stop.

Remember, OP is thinking about making a flight -- not just hoping to get home in time for a favorite TV show. Best possible time is not a good benchmark in his case.

I have lived in the Tampa Bay Area/Orlando area for the past 40 years. In my former life I commuted between the two cities every day for 3 years on the I-4 corridor. Thank goodness that's over !

This is what you should expect on 11/25/16; day after Thanksgiving and my suggestions.

Try to get off ship ASAP; out of terminal by 9 am.

Reserve rental car at Tampa Airport for one way drive to Orlando Airport. I do not think there are rental cars in downtown Tampa that allow one way rentals.

Take cab to Tampa Airport; with traffic and time to get car allow one hour. Currently Alamo Rental Car Company offering a SUV one way to Orlando for under $50 US.

Allow another 2 hours from Tampa Airport to Orlando Airport to time to get to checkin area for flight.

Hope that helps

Just off Mapquest - which showed under present LIGHT traffic conditions the 116 miles from Tampa port to Orlando international would take 1:46 -- that is averaging over 60 mph. I've driven from Sanford (north of Orlando) to Tampa a number of times when we could hardly make 60 at all - and spent much time at a dead stop.
To/from Sanford you're staying on I-4 through the worst part.

Google Earth says it's 84.9 miles from Channelside to the south side of MCO via the Greenway (417) and Boggy Creek Rd - 1 hour, 19 minutes. Two hours worst case IMO at 42 mph average if you hit any congestion before getting off I4 onto 417.

BTW, Google Earth says it's 85 miles Channelside to MCO via I4 to 528 to the north side of the airport. What route gives 116 miles? :eek:

Edited by jtl513

Google Earth says it's 84.9 miles from Channelside to the south side of MCO via the Greenway (417) and Boggy Creek Rd - 1 hour, 19 minutes. Two hours worst case IMO at 42 mph average if you hit any congestion before getting off I4 onto 417.

Okay, just 'cause you did it twice ;) -- it's the GreeneWay. The road is named after James B. Greene, who used to chair the Expressway Authority. (One of my peeves, obviously.)

What route gives 116 miles? :eek:
Mapquest says its 85.9 miles from "Port of Tampa cruise parking" to MCO:

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/list/1/us/florida/business-tampa/port-of-tampa-cruise-parking-361722884/to/us/florida/mco-orlando-international-airport-4242691

Okay, just 'cause you did it twice -- it's the GreeneWay. The road is named after James B. Greene, who used to chair the Expressway Authority. (One of my peeves, obviously.)
Sorry, I never noticed that! DW says she knew though. :) Edited by jtl513

To/from Sanford you're staying on I-4 through the worst part.

BTW, Google Earth says it's 85 miles Channelside to MCO via I4 to 528 to the north side of the airport. What route gives 116 miles? :eek:

Mapquest provided the 116 mile figure. I do not have personal knowledge.

In any event, if I were seriously interested in making an international flight and had been advised that the drive would take 1 hour 19 minutes, or two hours "worst case", I would allow at least three hours; which is what my original post on this thread mentioned.

OP you CAN rent a car from near the port to save the hassle of the Tampa airport. $55 at Budget for November 25. They offer free shuttle pick up at the cruise port.

Enterprise car rental is another option. The will also pick you up at the port and take you to their office nearby to get the car. We have done this many times,they are prompt and efficient.

OP you CAN rent a car from near the port to save the hassle of the Tampa airport. $55 at Budget for November 25. They offer free shuttle pick up at the cruise port.
Enterprise car rental is another option. The will also pick you up at the port and take you to their office nearby to get the car. We have done this many times,they are prompt and efficient.
Good suggestions! :) Edited by jtl513

I have lived in the Tampa Bay Area/Orlando area for the past 40 years. In my former life I commuted between the two cities every day for 3 years on the I-4 corridor. Thank goodness that's over !

This is what you should expect on 11/25/16; day after Thanksgiving and my suggestions.

Try to get off ship ASAP; out of terminal by 9 am.

Reserve rental car at Tampa Airport for one way drive to Orlando Airport. I do not think there are rental cars in downtown Tampa that allow one way rentals.

Take cab to Tampa Airport; with traffic and time to get car allow one hour. Currently Alamo Rental Car Company offering a SUV one way to Orlando for under $50 US.

Allow another 2 hours from Tampa Airport to Orlando Airport to time to get to checkin area for flight.

Hope that helps

Good news. Budget Car Rental has an office in downtown Tampa a mile from the port in Embassy Suites. One way car rentals approx $57.

Thanks for all your help ! Yes, my husband (I am female) drives the M8 very often, and I have now booked a car to be picked up near the cruise terminal, we will try to self disembark. Our flight is 5.20pm, they say we need to be there 3 hours before, factoring in a bit of time to drop off the car, so 2pm.

We are still a bit nervous about driving in Florida but the comparison to the M8 is helpful, it can be quite difficult with exits on both sides of eight lanes but I recall from the last time we were in Florida,25 years ago, that American drivers were very courteous. We will be the confused tourists on the way to Orlando!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums