Solstice "Ocean View" category

Logically I would have said it should be 3159 as there is no 3519. But if you look at a picture of the cabin windows from an external shot it looks like the circular windows are on deck 2 (crew cabins?).

Yes, possibly. Makes me feel a lot better about possibly choosing an ocean view. I'm going to give celebrity a call and check if I lose any of the offers (drinks package, obc etc) if we switch from concierge and then if its ok I'll pop back with some possible cabin choices.

I'm so thankful for everyone who has commented, it makes a world of difference being able to have a conversation with people about it, there really is lots to consider isn't there!

Many thanks

Shaun

Ok, just got off the phone with Celebrity. Some of the ocean room views DO have portholes. At first he said he thought they all do, so I said "Nooo, I've seen pictures" so he went to check with someone, came back and said the some have portholes, some have windows and that when booking whoever I speak to should be able to tell me which have the windows.

Hmmmmm. Doesn't fill me with confidence. He also went off to check that we wouldn't be penalised for moving to a lower grade of cabin in terms of the perks, which apparently we won't unless we go to inside cabin (which we wouldn't do).

So if we were going to switch to a standard verandah cabin, 2b category, based on what's available we would probably go for 7130 or 6152 forward, on the hump, flat balcony near the forward lifts, avoiding looking down onto lifeboats. What do people think to that one? If we wanted something more central we'd go for 7334 where we would have lifeboats below but be closer to the central lifts for the atrium etc.

If we do go for oceanview, they are much of a muchness as far as I can tell so as long its not a porthole I'd just go for the most central one I could get that was available.

Also he told me that as captain's club members we pay for the category below the category we book, so we would only pay 2C prices (thus saving us another £100).

What do people think? Any wisdom to offer? Any "yes, definitely" or "definitely avoids" in there?

Either should have a view straight down to the sea. 6 will be closer to the sea an stairs. From the site plan it looks like 6152 is very close to the lifts and stairs - I doubt noise will be an issue but looking at the deck plan it looks like people might have a view into your cabin (if your door is open) whilst waiting for the lift.

Yes, good points about the cabin being visible from the elevators possibly. There is one available a couple of doors down (6136) that is more private. Also like the idea of being closer to the water - any risk of noise from the public areas below do you think? At least with deck 7 there are just cabins below.

Cabin 3519 on Equinox is not a passenger cabin; probably crew.

The forward-facing oceanview cabins, on deck 7 and 8, have large slanting windows. We loved that for transatlantic, but would still prefer a low deck regular oceanview for Alaska. We have had a balcony on an Alaska cruise, and only used it once, for a couple of hours, during the entire 10 days.

We had the front oceanview room on deck 7 on our Solstice cruise to Australia. It was wonderful. We checked into our room and could see the harbor and the Sydney bridge right out our window. They also have these rooms on deck 8. There are about 7 or 8 on each of these two decks. They begin numbers 7101 and 8101. There is a large area you can sit in right below the slanted window. This area also gives you additional space to place things you need often. We liked these rooms so much we just booked one on the Equinox for October 2017.

We got 6103 last year on a guarantee - right above the theatre, never heard a whisper from the theatre, what we did hear was the lowering of the platform on the side as you come in to port - often it seemed up to 2 hours before docking - sometimes it came down with a loud thump - you should be nowhere near this

this photo shows the small platform down

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eclipse&espv=2&biw=1097&bih=541&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNmt2utZ7OAhUoL8AKHS-lAvYQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=celebrity+eclipse&imgrc=S7z6P1o_loh8NM%3A

Have noticed that those cabins near the front lifts look like they might look down on a open part of deck 5

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eclipse&espv=2&biw=1097&bih=541&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNmt2utZ7OAhUoL8AKHS-lAvYQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=celebrity+eclipse&imgdii=S7z6P1o_loh8NM%3A%3BS7z6P1o_loh8NM%3A%3Bt9vixvCtZIzAPM%3A&imgrc=S7z6P1o_loh8NM%3A

Edited by DYKWIA

@joetop, thanks. Strangely enough those forward facing oceanview are more expensive than balcony atm.

Thanks for the reassurance on the noise from the 6th deck. We are considering all balcony options now, having decided we definitely do want one. I've noticed the 2c (30% obstructed) category are cheaper than the 2d (50% obstructed). Have to admit to being confused by the pricing. But anyway we are thinking does 30% mean that you look down on the lifeboat whereas 50% means you look out on it? The 2c 30% obstructed categories seem to be in the aft and forward (where the lifeboats are) whereas the 2d 50% obstructed seem to be in the midship where the tender boats are.

It looks as though all the staterooms on deck 6 (except the hump) are classed as obstructed to one extent or another.

I think I'd be happy to pay the lowest balcony category price to look down onto the lifeboat, but wouldn't be happy if the boat was actually "in" our view if that makes sense.

Huge thanks to anyone still reading:-)

@joetop, thanks. Strangely enough those forward facing oceanview are more expensive than balcony atm.

Thanks for the reassurance on the noise from the 6th deck. We are considering all balcony options now, having decided we definitely do want one. I've noticed the 2c (30% obstructed) category are cheaper than the 2d (50% obstructed). Have to admit to being confused by the pricing. But anyway we are thinking does 30% mean that you look down on the lifeboat whereas 50% means you look out on it? The 2c 30% obstructed categories seem to be in the aft and forward (where the lifeboats are) whereas the 2d 50% obstructed seem to be in the midship where the tender boats are.

It looks as though all the staterooms on deck 6 (except the hump) are classed as obstructed to one extent or another.

I think I'd be happy to pay the lowest balcony category price to look down onto the lifeboat, but wouldn't be happy if the boat was actually "in" our view if that makes sense.

Huge thanks to anyone still reading:-)

Category 2B on deck 6 are not obstructed at all.

Yes, the category 2b on deck 6 seem to be on a hump. Thinking will go for that. When you pointed out some of them were above an open walkway/gangway were you saying that was an advantage or disadvantage? Thanks so much for your help. Am going to choose a specific cabin this evening then phone and make the switch tomorrow.

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

Yes, the category 2b on deck 6 seem to be on a hump. Thinking will go for that. When you pointed out some of them were above an open walkway/gangway were you saying that was an advantage or disadvantage? Thanks so much for your help. Am going to choose a specific cabin this evening then phone and make the switch tomorrow.

I was just making the point that some of the 2b category cabins might not have a direct view down to sea, certainly those nearer the front do.