TK menus - our take

rols

I recall that the TK items on the menu in the main restaurant on the Odyssey were rather underwhelming. It seems that they have improved since the speciality TK grill has opened. Can anyone on board the Encore please post the TK Grill menu as it might get our saliva juices watering in anticipation of our forthcoming cruise. Happy New Year to all.

Further to my remarks about the Thomas Keller Grill and his dishes that continue to be offered in The Restaurant, I have learned that they are different in style and do deserve to be in the different restaurants. Apparently, the dishes served in The Restaurant such as the excellent caviar starter of last night, are more Per Se than Grill. That said, I prefer his Grill dishes overall. And another outcome: I am now suitably educated and chastened!

Happy and healthy cruising!

Let me try to clarify the TK offerings on Seabourn as well. Keller has four restaurants -- the French Laundry, Bouchon Bakery and Cafe and Ad Hoc in Napa Valley and Per Se. French Laundry and Per Se while different are fairly similar in concept. Keller does not have a Grill Restaurant -- this was a new concept for him developed for Seabourn. On Seabourn the occasional TK offerings are in line with the French Laundry/Per Se concept. The TK nights in the Colonnade are in line with Ad Hoc. And as stated, the Grill concept is new for TK and has no land based Keller counterpart.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Let me try to clarify the TK offerings on Seabourn as well. Keller has four restaurants -- the French Laundry, Bouchon Bakery and Cafe and Ad Hoc in Napa Valley and Per Se. French Laundry and Per Se while different are fairly similar in concept. Keller does not have a Grill Restaurant -- this was a new concept for him developed for Seabourn. On Seabourn the occasional TK offerings are in line with the French Laundry/Per Se concept. The TK nights in the Colonnade are in line with Ad Hoc. And as stated, the Grill concept is new for TK and has no land based Keller counterpart.

As to the menu in the TK Grill options every night include Dover Sole, Lobster Thermidorian, Rib Steak, Sirloin, Lamb Loin, Roast Chicken for Two , Eggplant Parmesan and a daily special. Last night the special was Short Ribs Wellington. There is also a selection of about 8 first courses ( chilled artichoke p, Maryland Blue crab cake, shrimp cocktail, wedge salad with blue cheese, New England clam chowder and consume)as well as a daily special.

As to the menu in the TK Grill options ( this is for the Quest, Encore may well be different) every night include Dover Sole, Lobster Thermidorian, Rib Steak, Sirloin, Lamb Loin, Roast Chicken for Two , Eggplant Parmesan and a daily special. Last night the special was Short Ribs Wellington. There is also a selection of about 8 first courses ( chilled artichoke p, Maryland Blue crab cake, shrimp cocktail, wedge salad with blue cheese, New England clam chowder and consume)as well as a daily special.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you recommend doing for someone that has an enormous appetite yet only wants to dine on quality (I'm not eating pizza or a hamburger)? I noticed the portions are small here. Can I get away with ordering 3 entrees, 3 appetizers, 2 desserts at dinner as I do on other cruise lines or would I draw attention from guests and crew? My girlfriend eats similarly and neither of us are overweight (yet!).

We have recently done 35 days on the Quest. Thoughts on TK, I would echo the comments of Eliana - underwhelming in the restaurant; and of Frantic36 - not everywhere please!

These comments have nothing to do with the wonderful staff who just do what they are told to prepare and present.

The Grill - very ordinary fare, boring.

Restaurant - TK offerings limit the normal menu, are uninspiring and bland. We have more imaginative meals at home on a week night.

Colonnade - TK offering very ordinary, and shuts down one dining outlet with its limited menu.

The biggest problem we encountered was that on cold weather cruises (or ones subject to weather) the pool grill is closed and the TK option closes down a further dining option in the Colonnade by virtue of the limited menu and advance bookings process. This has two knock on effects:

1. It does not fit well with the more adventure/explorer type itineraries that Seabourn is promoting. If you are off ship and active all day and back late, you don't necessarily want to go through the whole dress up for dinner. Something more resort casual (pool grill or Colonnade) is preferred. Also if it's a late port departure you may not be back on board until 7 or 8pm. So Colonnade with its TK bookings is out. If it's wet/windy/cold the pool grill is closed.

2. In our broader group of friends last trip a significant bone of contention was there was nowhere for a solo diner to go for a casual quick meal (on cruises subject to weather issues). Your partner has gone to bed early (tired/sick) so you can't do room service and eat in the room, you want a quick meal no dressing up. The pool grill is closed, the Colonnade has TK and no other menu. It's early to bed with no dinner. There was quite a bit of frustration - this occurred on many nights.

So...TK if you must. Keep it in The Grill, but please smarten up the rather mundane offerings. We are pleased to note the addition of the sushi restaurant on Encore - something with a bit of taste. I would have thought most Seabourn travellers these days would have wide ranging tastes and expect variety.

It must be an Australian thing, we had 32 days on Quest ( from Dover UK to Boston USA via Iceland and Greenland) in Aug/Sept 2016 and we were totally underwhelmed with the TK offerings.

We were disappointed that the menu in other venues was diminished because of this. I didn't once see Ribs offered at the Patio Griill as on previous BTK ( before Thomas Keller) cruises

During our 34 days on Encore we dined 5 times in the Grill. We turned up on spec as a couple on one occasion, asked nicely and they managed to fit us in.

For us the Grill added greatly to our cruise. The service was a bit more strung out, particularly at the beginning of the meal but that gave us chance to chat. Loved the food, a bit of tableside theatre was an added bonus.

We also hade TK lobster in the main dining room one night which was excellent.

So after all the hype and moaning on here prior to cruising for us it worked. What didn't work quite as well was ad hoc in the Colonnade - much preferred the theme nights such as Indian & Middle Eastern.

Slightly off topic but also worth mentioning was Sushi. A fresh alternative to traditional dinner with fun staff guiding you through the menu.

Henry :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

Agree the best nights we had on board recently were the French, Indian and Middle Eastern. All credit to the chefs. Surprising, given our previous favourites were all dining room dishes but they seem to have phased them out to stream line the MD menu to make room for TK.

We did TK Grill four times and gave up. It was chaotic and the food seemed very 70s try hard local bistro. While the lamb was just nice, the lobster on 3 separate evenings was swimming in a watery nondescript sauce on a bed of spinach.

TK in the Colonnade was painful. Even the staff seemed to want to get the meal done with and out of there.

Have read the reviews of recent Encore experiences and are happy for those who have enjoyed the experience. The sushi restaurant sounds like a wonderful addition.

As a final comment we believe Seabourn is best limiting TK to The Grill in order to provide different experiences in each of its restaurants. Otherwise the ship becomes homogenous and that isn't an experience you want when travelling.

As a final comment we believe Seabourn is best limiting TK to The Grill in order to provide different experiences in each of its restaurants. Otherwise the ship becomes homogenous and that isn't an experience you want when travelling.

I don't disagree with you although an occasional insertion of TK inspired fare in the main dining room hasn't done us any harm.

The Colonnade is perfectly capable of standing on it's own two feet, on Encore recently Jes and his team had a strong following. Knowing there is a distinct alternative to the main dining room is important.

Jes was based in the Colonnade during our cruise. I don't know if it's usual to have a top flight chef up there or whether that's just because on Encore the Colonnade forms a more integral part of the dining experience.

A lot of officer hosted tables were held there.

For us as we relax and become more familiar with Seabourn we don't feel the need to be eating in the main restaurant every night. I used to feel we were missing out if we didn't eat in the dining room, not any more.

The only place we have still to try is the Patio Grill at night.

Ah I see.

He certainly does a very good job and is passionate.

When I'm wandering around with my camera I often see behind the glossy facade. A good example would be the clip of him briefing waiters prior to lunch service. Not done for show or my benefit. I'd been wandering around previously and noticed it happening so returned later on during the cruise to capture it.

He also led a group of passengers around a fish market making a sizeable dent in the petty cash!

The only place we have still to try is the Patio Grill at night.

Just curious what the thoughts of others are about the Patio Grill now TK is in residence.

On previous cruises we have done the majority of our night dining there after long shore days or lazy pool days when we didn't want to get dressed up. Certainly freezing weather never put us off and the blankets were put to good use while we had our lobster, cowboy steaks, lamb racks, pork chops, jumbo prawns etc.

On our last cruise we found the lunchtime menu extremely limited and repetitive and we actually had lunch in the MDR on a number of days as the Colonnade was too hectic. The Pool Grill offerings were so bad we really don't know why they bothered. The pizza was always cold (we would usually avoid pizza, but there is no real choice) a few lettuce leaves, no sliced up salad items to make your own, no prepared salads for variety or something that doesn't lead to the ubiquitous Caesar salad (seriously, there other salad options in the world), a few lukewarm wraps in a pot or some "scallopini" to have with a dry lettuce leaf (or your Caesar salad)

The burgers and hotdogs are still very ordinary - even with the "TK touch". A choice of bread roll would be nice instead of only the brioche sweet rolls. Yes, Australian hamburger tastes are quite different, but if there were salads and roll choices, we could make one to our own tastes. Same for the hotdog - some days there were lovely German sausages but you could not get a roll, mustard and sauerkraut to make your own "hotdog" - we tried! So it was German sausage and dry lettuce leaf and chips (fries)!

The dinner menu had us struggling to find something to eat - the steaks which were previously amazing were awful and usually there were 2 or 3 mains that never changed.

For very little cost and a bit of imagination, they could really make something of the pool grill - and I don't mean turning it into a buffalo wings, let's deep fry everything outlet! Perhaps do some grilled chicken Portuguese style on their char grill, some Asian style salads, a few sushi, a few crusty rolls and some pate.

It seems to be aimed at 7 day cruises with a port a day and not for those who are on vacation rather than a trip.