How much do you tip?

mjmcgove

I prepay gratuities and give $2 everytime I order room service coffee. If my Steward does something I ask I always give a tip because I don't want the Steward to feel unappreciated. At the end of the cruise or at the end of a great night in the dining room I tip the waiters. I do the same in the Steakhouse. If I feel like I have been treated exceptionally I tip extra but it isn't necessarily as they are added to the bill. So many of the staff are awesome and keep smiling and working to make my vacation incredible.

Edited by smyliecruising

Did they tell you that if you take their portion of the tip off and you hand them cash, they have to turn that cash in so it can be distributed evenly? Did they also tell you if you take their portion

of the tip off, they are called in and questioned as to why the customer removed the tip? You are not doing them any favors by removing tip, give them extra and leave grat. on the bill.

Pat

And who told you this tall tale or do you just want to argue with me...Seeing that I don't list every cruise I have (18) and that I travel solo and make more friends with the crew than do other people(Tourist)I seem to glean a lot of info from my friendships.. On my last cruise......Why do I even bother to explain this stuff to somebody who thinks that a Cabin Steward has to pool his tips with his other Cabin Stewards.....

Michael

Edited by mpdog42
adding more content

Did they tell you that if you take their portion of the tip off and you hand them cash, they have to turn that cash in so it can be distributed evenly? Did they also tell you if you take their portion

of the tip off, they are called in and questioned as to why the customer removed the tip? You are not doing them any favors by removing tip, give them extra and leave grat. on the bill.

Pat

Your first statement is incorrect. Anyone who receives cash keeps 100% of it. Even the bartenders.

The second part is here say. Being that cash tips are one of the three options outlined, if they are questioning ANYONE means they have operational issues.

What does salary have to do with deciding to tip someone? I am glad you have the poster the permission to tip if they wanted. They can now sleep soundly.

Sent from my iPhone

Really? I hardly think you go around conducting business and tip everyone you come into contact with. I got to assume you only tip those in the service industry that perform some form of function particularly for you.

You're very generous. That same $2 tip covers a full sit down service meal in the MDR over the course of 2 hours.

How did you determine this?

First of all recommended tip to MDR waiter was always $3.50 and $2 for assistant. Plus in mdr they do not have to cover distance from the restaurant to cabin. We always tip $2-5 for room service depending on our order.

How did you determine this?

First of all recommended tip to MDR waiter was always $3.50 and $2 for assistant. Plus in mdr they do not have to cover distance from the restaurant to cabin. We always tip $2-5 for room service depending on our order.

Your daily tips per person are for three meals a day.

Your daily tips per person are for three meals a day.

Yes, but there is much less service in buffet. $5.50 pp was per day in cash tips. $2-5 is not pp for room service delivery.

Anyway I wish cruise lines would add service charge to fare so we are not paying for people who are just removing it. Many international cruisers are doing this especially when their currencies go down against USD, or just because they are not used to tips.

Really? I hardly think you go around conducting business and tip everyone you come into contact with. I got to assume you only tip those in the service industry that perform some form of function particularly for you.

Where it is customary I do. Does not matter to me what they are getting paid.

Sent from my iPhone