Koningsdam to caribbean pool atmosphere

edgekid

We are seasoned cruisers on celebrity, norwegian, royal caribbean and princess..this will be our first venture on hal..after reading the reviews, not worried about the quality of the food or the nightlife..the one area that we have some concern is at the pool where we spend most of the day, especially on sea days..our hope is that they will “liven it up" for the caribbean cruises, as the demographic will probably be different than the european cruises, and tend to be more fun..not looking for belly flop contests, just some current music and participatory activities..any thoughts?

The only participatory activities I've ever seen at a HAL pool are the sale tables set up there. I've seen that in Alaska, Canada, and the Caribbean. And sometimes there's a special buffet lunch or a sailaway party.

I think the Band (or whatever replaced the HellCats) do play at the pool from time to time. No idea what they play since it's usually loud and I don't stay to listen.

We are seasoned cruisers on celebrity, norwegian, royal caribbean and princess..this will be our first venture on hal..after reading the reviews, not worried about the quality of the food or the nightlife..the one area that we have some concern is at the pool where we spend most of the day, especially on sea days..our hope is that they will “liven it up" for the caribbean cruises, as the demographic will probably be different than the european cruises, and tend to be more fun..not looking for belly flop contests, just some current music and participatory activities..any thoughts?

They had a steel drum class the last time we sailed the Zdam in Dec. it was a lot of fun. Other than some music, I don't remember any other pool activities. Wish HAL would do an officer vs passenger pool volleyball game. We loved that on Celebrity. Even the Captains participate!!!

They had a steel drum class the last time we sailed the Zdam in Dec. it was a lot of fun. Other than some music, I don't remember any other pool activities. Wish HAL would do an officer vs passenger pool volleyball game. We loved that on Celebrity. Even the Captains participate!!!

If that's what makes your cruise, then sail with X. We prefer the relative quiet of a HAL pool-side.

To the OP!

Actually, in our experience, the average age on Caribbean sailings is higher than on European sailings on HAL in our experience, with many " life experienced" 4 and 5 star mariners sailing Koningsdam coming season to try her out.

First, let me say that I spend little time by the pool except late afternoon because I refuse to battle with the chair hogs.

Secondly, I have been on 4 Celebrity cruises and can't recall a great deal of pool side activities. Certainly, nothing loud or crazy.

Lastly, on 4 previous HAL cruises, they did have the legendary HAL Cats playing live music at times by the pool. But, no volleyball or pool games.

We prefer to relax with a book, and nap.

Contrary to the other posts there WAS pool activities on the 21 day (10/11 day B2B) Caribbean cruise I took on the Oosterdam in October/November 2015. There was golf chipping contests, pool volleyball, steel drums, and a band among other things (I can't recall the rest). I think it may be dependent on the cruise director, activity director and perhaps what demographics are on that particular sailing. Our activity director Jeremy had a lot of fun things to participate in no matter your age or activity level.

Like many HAL cruisers I do enjoy the quiet pool time but these activities were never too loud or annoying (if I wasn't participating) and lasted for less than an hour at a time.

One of the things we disliked about the Koningsdam was the fact that sweaty people took over the upholstered furniture around the pool. There are chairs and couches on the sides which were full every afternoon of people who had been in the pool sleeping. Some of them didn't even have towels under their wet bathing suits. These were not the lounge chairs, but more like nice patio furniture. It seemed like a new location for the lounge hogs to take their naps!

We also like to spend quit time around the pool, read or jump in the pool when it gets too hot out on deck. Or find a deck chair on the shady side of the ship to read. What we both hate( hate might be to strong a word) is the chair hogs who put a towel and or book on a chair and then disappear for the rest of the AM or PM.

Allan