All Zika All The Time...

DYKWIA

Hmm . . . I live in Florida--guess I should move. ;)

Seriously, Florida is a big state. Do we have mosquitos? Yes. Can you defend against them? Yes.

I am heading to Europe next week--despite the increasing terrorist attacks. Mosquitos seem less of a risk in comparison.

We should leave Florida!

UK travellers are advised my the Government to avoid Florida, many travel agents are now offering change of destination for those affected.

You had better avoid parts of the Indian Ocean, all of the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, and Hawaii also.

Or, you could just use bug spray.

Does bug spray work against terrorists?

you live in florida, so that's just one more thing you have to contend with...

along with insanely high humidity and alligators....

but for someone going on vacation, they don't have to put themselves at additional risk when their government has warned them not to - and again, we're specifically referring to pregnant women...

The British media has a habit of making mountains out of molehills. You can now purchase long sleeved sun shirts, excellent for sun & bug protection. Repellent is always a good idea. Avoid areas where the dreaded mosquitos gather - swampy areas, standing water. Of course if you are pregnant, consult your doctor.

you live in florida, so that's just one more thing you have to contend with...

along with insanely high humidity and alligators....

I'm from South Carolina where the humidity is much worse. Right now the humidity in Washington DC is worse than it is in South Florida.

We don't swim in freshwater ponds so we don't have to deal with alligators.

There are twenty million of us living in Florida including pregnant women.

The British media has a habit of making mountains out of molehills. You can now purchase long sleeved sun shirts, excellent for sun & bug protection. Repellent is always a good idea. Avoid areas where the dreaded mosquitos gather - swampy areas, standing water. Of course if you are pregnant, consult your doctor.

I the advice came from a professor at the Centre of Tropical Medicine in Liverpool

I the advice came from a professor at the Centre of Tropical Medicine in Liverpool

I dont doubt the eminent Professor's qualification but is Liverpool really the best location for the 'Centre of Tropical Medicine' [emoji12].

A bit like housing a Centre of Football Excellence in England [emoji33][emoji33]

Edited by Ladesign

I dont doubt the eminent Professor's qualification but is Liverpool really the best location for the 'Centre of Tropical Medicine' [emoji12].

A bit like housing a Centre of Football Excellence in England [emoji33][emoji33]

It's a great place - they're not going to get struck down with Malaria / Zika / Dengue fever whilst commuting to work on the Birkenhead ferry. During the SARS outbreak at least one expert was killed by the the very disease they were trying to cure, not helpful.

Edited by DYKWIA

At the moment, if you're heading to Miami, just stay out of the Wynwood area. Not that's a bit of a shame, because there are some decent restaurants and one very good craft brewery there.

Also, bring DEET! Or buy once in US. Apply frequently, if going on an excursion in port, especially in late afternoon, early evening. You'll be okay on a ship as long as it is moving.

Founded in 1898 by a ship owner in a large port at that time it is a prestigious school of tropical medicine with support from Bill Gates Foundation, Wellcome Trust and others. Sorry to butt in but as a medic who qualified in Liverpool (OK quite a while ago) it was considered a jewel in the crown. Seriously our thoughts should be with the residents of that area of Miami affected particularly of child bearing years as it must be worrying to say the least.

I'm from South Carolina where the humidity is much worse. Right now the humidity in Washington DC is worse than it is in South Florida.

We don't swim in freshwater ponds so we don't have to deal with alligators.

There are twenty million of us living in Florida including pregnant women.

don't know your point...

as i said, obviously people living in florida are living with the risk...

but you live there .....unless you're planning on moving several states north, where that particular species of mosquito doesn't venture, you're stuck and will have to live with the risk....

although if i were a pregnant floridian, i might seriously think about heading north for the duration.....but who can actually do that?

they're just going to have to take every precaution they can and then hope for the best....it adds another layer of tension to a pregnancy that i wouldn't wish on anyone..

but the point is, if you live in florida, you're sort of stuck with the situation..

however, if you're just a visitor, you can avoid the risk by not traveling to florida (or any place that has zika)...

Edited by alaska_planner

Looks like it might get worse before it gets better. Fla Gov has now asked for CDC assistance. 10 more cases.

http://www.flgov.com/2016/08/01/gov-scott-florida-calls-on-cdc-to-activate-emergency-response-team-following-confirmed-mosquito-borne-transmissions/

This, from the same know-nothing head-in-the-sand government-is-the-root-of-all-evil Governor that has implemented a gag order on the use of the words "climate change" by anyone in State government.

Most of us take anything this grandstanding clown utters with a pinch of salt (and a shot of Tequila).

Looks like it might get worse before it gets better. Fla Gov has now asked for CDC assistance. 10 more cases.

http://www.flgov.com/2016/08/01/gov-scott-florida-calls-on-cdc-to-activate-emergency-response-team-following-confirmed-mosquito-borne-transmissions/

Still in Wynwood, six people have no symptoms.

This isn't a big deal to most Floridians.

Still in Wynwood, six people have no symptoms.

This isn't a big deal to most Floridians.

Except for the people in the Miami area I guess, and Wynwood in particular. The Zika news is plastered all over the Miami Herald's webpage. The CDC is recommending pregnant women to avoid the Wynwood area, which is only 3-4 miles from the cruise terminal.

This, from the same know-nothing head-in-the-sand government-is-the-root-of-all-evil Governor that has implemented a gag order on the use of the words "climate change" by anyone in State government.

Most of us take anything this grandstanding clown utters with a pinch of salt (and a shot of Tequila).

Understand your position. ;)

At least he has now decided it was time to call in the CDC. I was surprised the State held off so long in bringing them in, although I do know you guys have a robust mosquito illness program there...

Except for the people in the Miami area I guess, and Wynwood in particular. The Zika news is plastered all over the Miami Herald's webpage. The CDC is recommending pregnant women to avoid the Wynwood area, which is only 3-4 miles from the cruise terminal.

Please feel free to avoid the area.

We were at the Wynwood Walls on Sunday.

I'm not sure if you are warning people (and people do need to be aware) or simply noting how news grabs hold of, well, news, and doesn't let go until a juicier bite comes along. Wait until the hurricanes threaten. Of course, a hurricane would get rid of the mosquitoes temporarily. Then we get weeks of "this path, but wait, that path, actually now it's.... " And then, guess what's back?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

I'm not sure if you are warning people (and people do need to be aware) or simply noting how news grabs hold of, well, news, and doesn't let go until a juicier bite comes along. Wait until the hurricanes threaten. Of course, a hurricane would get rid of the mosquitoes temporarily. Then we get weeks of "this path, but wait, that path, actually now it's.... " And then, guess what's back?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Just reporting the facts, Ma'am. It's big news here in South Florida.

"Jucier bite?" Did you mean that to be a double entedre?