Sitka - staying onboard

Sequim88

We are finally to the point where we are considering staying onboard in a port. In this case, Sitka due to tendering. We've been there before and done what we could with a wheelchair involved (Raptor place, Russian Dancers, town bus tour). Most everything else HAL offers has the symbols for physical activity greater than the first level. So not much onshore for us except walking around town. About the only thing would be to visit Sitka Lutheran Church where some friends of ours son as an intern Pastor for a year and see if anyone remembers his time there.

On the other hand my parents were never excited about Mexican port stops and said they really enjoyed the time on the much less crowded ship. For us most of what we want to see at Sitka is the beautiful view from the ship.

Are we missing something about Sitka?

We are finally to the point where we are considering staying onboard in a port. In this case, Sitka due to tendering. We've been there before and done what we could with a wheelchair involved (Raptor place, Russian Dancers, town bus tour). Most everything else HAL offers has the symbols for physical activity greater than the first level. So not much onshore for us except walking around town. About the only thing would be to visit Sitka Lutheran Church where some friends of ours son as an intern Pastor for a year and see if anyone remembers his time there.

On the other hand my parents were never excited about Mexican port stops and said they really enjoyed the time on the much less crowded ship. For us most of what we want to see at Sitka is the beautiful view from the ship.

I think you are but the wheelchair might be the limiting factor. You are missing all of the Russian history and the wonderful park with the totems. You could easily see the Russian Orthodox Cathedral, plus the Bishop's House, and the park on foot. I hesitate though where the wheelchair is involved.

I would not stay on board because I can see these sights very inexpensively (less than $15 pp) and those are things that I enjoy, but staying aboard may work best for you.

Tenders are such a hassle for the able-bodied, I can't imagine the pain with a wheelchair! :( I heard somewhere [either on here or on HAL's site] that HAL now docks in Sitka rather than tendering. I'm not sure if it is true but if so, perhaps you will be able to go ashore. This is the port I am most looking forward to on our HAL voyage next month...the Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Sanctuary are on my must see list but even the downtown looks lovely.

Btw, I love your avatar! Such a cute cat...Russian Blue?

I do believe HAL is docking [5-10 minute drive out of town] for almost all of their cruises now, only possibility of tendering is if there is more than one ship scheduled. We docked on the Maasdam in June, free shuttle to town that can accommodate wheelchairs and the drop off is right downtown. Quite a few nice shops and places to eat and just enjoy the town itself, or check out the Sheldon Jackson museum, really great native artifacts and a very nice little museum. But I do understand staying on the ship, anymore we usually don't do much on the mandatory Victoria stops as we go there a lot and the ship is usually deserted and quiet! Play it by ear and do it low key, especially if the weather is nice, Sitka is lovely even with nothing planned. Hope you have a wonderful time no matter what you decide.

Sitka was one of our favorite stops. The town is quaint and full of history. In your case I wouldn't want to hassle with the tender including the wheelchair. We were on a HAL ship that docked. That worked well for us.

I hope you have a safe and enjoyable cruise.

Looking at the cruise schedule attached. http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Sitka-SIT-2016-1.pdf HAL appear to be docking on every visit to Sitka this year at the Old Sitka Dock at Halibut Point Marine (OSD). You should be able to get the shuttle into Sitka town

Docking or tendering could make the decision for us. We liked Sitka but we've already done all the things that don't involve walking.

Found an article about docking, not tendering, this year.

Docking so looks like no more tendering - at least for HAL - Sitka schedule this year shows OSD (Old Sitka Dock) for all HAL ships. We might get off and walk & roll for a bit. Halibut Point is about 5 miles from downtown Sitka but if they have regular transportation back and forth that would be OK. Probably get off after the crush and return early.

Russian Blue?
Not sure - probably American Gray. Picked the picture because it resembles our Gray cat. Edited by Sequim88