Is Egypt a genuine port of call or just a come on?

lorene1

In today's world, problems can occur anywhere at any time. The cruise company does not want to put it's passengers into a danger zone and their insurance company will not let them put the ship into a danger zone.

If you want cruise certainty from terrorism, try the Staten Island ferry or maybe Antarctica. Even Antarctica cruises can be modified for other reasons.

DON

Thanks for the heads up, Roaming Kiwi 58

I feel your pain. Not aching to do more Greece, where we have two ports already and we've been lots before. But I guess we wait and see. I'm certainly not looking for certainty from terrorism, or I would never head to the Middle East. Or leave my house.

;-)

Not so funny that I just found your post. Just signed up for the Nov 1 sailing from Athens yesterday. And also signed up for a car, driver and maybe a guide in Port Said yesterday as well. First thing this morning we got an email that Port Said is unsafe. I'm really questioning the timing of this announcement. Had I known this yesterday morning I would not have signed up for the cruise. This is the second time Oceania has pulled this on us. And interestingly enough when I checked for warning and alerts on the State Department website there is nothing for Egypt. But there is both a warning and an alert for Israel and now we are spending additional time there. I'd love to know the last time an Oceania ship called at Port Said.

Cruisers hate change. Lines know we will cancel if some of these more unique ports are cancelled. They hem and haw on phone, even lie when necessary. I did Egypt in 07. Only thing I liked was Cairo museum. Whole area a third world experience. I remember its been rarely offered in subsequent years. And for a reason. Dangerous.

Edited by zoncom

We are on the same cruise, Lorene. It looks like Cairo has been cancelled, but the other two Egyptian ports have not. One of our Roll Call members has posted the letter Oceania has sent out regarding their decision.

We are o.k. not going to Cairo since this would be our second visit. Luxor is our highlight, and we would cancel the cruise if this port was cancelled too. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Only thing I liked was Cairo museum. Whole area a third world experience. ... Dangerous.

When I was in Cairo last fall, the hotel concierge in response to a question said that Cairo was perfectly safe except when you try to cross the street. That matches my observations and those of others. In general the Egyptians are lovely and gentle people, but the traffic in Cairo is totally insane.

The government tried to get a little control over things by installing red light cameras at some intersections. The drivers ripped them all down in a matter of days. So Cairo is dangerous for red light cameras.