Underwater camera recommendation!

I am looking to purchase a underwater camera for snorkeling and swimming on cruises or not on cruises..

I dont want to break the bank but would like something that takes nice pictures for a decent price. If you know of one please send me brand and model number.

Thanks so much in advance.

I purchased the Nikon COOLPIX AW130 Waterproof Digital Camera - $270.

First time I used it was on our Bermuda cruise in June. Incredibly impressed with the quality. In my signature is a picture review, and some of the pix were taken on our jet ski excursion.

Also, the videos that it took were just tremendous quality.

I recommend the GoPro for sure. I have been using it for scuba diving and my friend has been using it to film her Extreme Cowboy Racing. It works equally well on land or under water and, believe me, it has taken a beating and keeps on recording.

Recommend you post this question in the "photos and camera discussion" forum.

Looks like it's now been moved over here.

There are several informative threads on this. I love my GoPro

Indeed there are. The Search function will reveal much information, including stuff some folks may not feel like posting for the fifth time. :D

Whether a gopro or a conventional compact camera is the better choice depends greatly on your needs. When someone else recommends XYZ as the best solution, make sure you and they are both seeking to solve the same problem. GoPros are fantastic for video of your activities. They're not not so strong at the conventional still camera stuff.

My personal choice is the Olympus TG-4. Ruggedized, waterproof to 50ft without any additional casing, fast f/2.0 25-100mm (equiv) lens, built in GPS & WiFi, has ability to shoot in RAW format, and charges from USB. More info at http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-tg-4/olympus-tg-4A.HTM

Edited by gpb11

I have this camera, cost me $50 and it has been absolutely worth every penny. Also being so cheap, I don't really worry about leaving it behind or attaching it to something risky.

https://www.amazon.com/Action-Sports-Camera-icefox-Waterproof-Accessories/dp/B00Y2J7N14/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470435514&sr=8-2&keywords=icefox

HERE ARE A BUNCH OF RANDOM VIDEOS FROM RECENT VACATIONS:

Edited by psumustang

I am looking to purchase a underwater camera for snorkeling and swimming on cruises or not on cruises..

I dont want to break the bank but would like something that takes nice pictures for a decent price. If you know of one please send me brand and model number.

Thanks so much in advance.

I like the Olympus Stylus Tough TG-4. It's waterproof to 10 or 15 m (30 to 50 ft); pretty smart with the exposures. It has many modes. If you want to do some retouching, it does shoot raw, and the Olympus software has capability for adjusting white balance etc. in raw format.

The "microscope" macro mode is pretty amazing.

Recommend getting a GoPro - can use in and out of water and relatively easy to use. We have three different types and love them all.

While the GoPro can be used underwater, it is designed basically as an action camera and a video action camera. There are other types such as the Olympus TG4 and many others that are designed as digital camera that function underwater.

You need to decide what you need and how much you want to spend.

DON