Wine experience

LADinCT

I came across a page on their site about "The celebrity wine experience"

specialized tastings, wine packages, wine dinners on board the ships. I am very interested as we are doing a Solstice sailing to Aus/Auck & H is in the wine biz. We won't have time to go to any wineries which he isn't happy about. But really, how many vacations have I spent in dark basements of estates with wine barrels. There may be excursions, but the site isn't' cooperating.

Can't click on anything. Did I mention X's website is terrible? It just spins for hours when you click on wine package. I saw a promo for specialty dining & it wouldn't let me add that to my cart either. This site thing could be a deal breaker, I should have known when it was impossible to book. I've had to call the every day this week with some other stupid question that I could have answered on the site.

Does anyone have any details on the "Celebrity Wine Experience"

The Wine Experience is all on board activities. They offer several different events from basic wine 101, wine & food pairings, an Around the World wine tasting, Port tasting, wine dinner in a specialty restaurant, Chef's Table (which is as much about the food as the wine), champagne tasting, Reidel workshop. They used to offer a high end wine tasting but I haven't seen that recently. Not all events will be offered on every sailing, I think it usually depends on the number of sea days. Of course there is a fee for each event. Cellar Masters usually has a complete listing for the sailing and any sommelier can book an event for you.

I've attended them all over the years so ask if you have any questions. I don't remember the prices though.

IMHO, which wont get you a free cup of joe :D

If your hubby has this kind of wine knowledge he will be board to tears with the wine presentations. He may find the Around the world tasting ok, but nothing like roaming thru a dark cellar enjoying the wonderful smell of muskie oak barrels ageing away for a Prisoner blend!

The last wine 101 we went to the SOM said the wine we were tasting was best suited for cooking a rue or sauce.

He would enjoy a tour in the wine tower tho.

ps: the Chef's Table that Mary Lou mentioned is well worth the additional cost, well for us novices' it is.

EW

699445738_wine101.jpg.7ec89d7072672089938074554a37101a.jpg

1427103606_winetower.jpg.abca396340f394c26e10c467351dbb6b.jpg

tower.jpg.dc2aa075d3c8fc1517c4e77ec63e1015.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

As you can tell by our cc name, we love our wine. Have sailed on reflection and eclipse 6 times over the last few years and have had some great wine experiences. The Riedel wine glass tasting is about the glasses, but is accompanied by some great wines. Our recommendation is to get to know the Somelier in cellar masters will be able to give you some great tastings. They are willing to open some wines not usually offered once you get to know them.

I am surprised by your comment "we won't have time to go to any wineries".

Are you commencing or finishing the cruise in Auckland?

There are a number of shore excursions in different NZ ports which feature wine.

In Napier is "Grape Escape", whose website features "Napier ship excursions" which would give an opportunity to see rural scenic areas plus visits to wineries.

I live an hour north of Auckland, in an area known as "Matakana Wine Coast" offering a number of wineries and coastal views. Again, Auckland based companies could offer you a trip north to this area for your Auckland visit.

I believe that you would learn and experience far more on a couple of shore excursions than onboard tastings. The New Zealand climate is quite variable, so wine styles vary with the soils and the climate - the Otago wineries are in chillier areas and the Marlborough [blenheim/Nelson] feature sunny climate wines. East of Wellington is the Martinborough area and Napier has a coastal warm climate for their grapes.

NZ varietals are quite locally oriented, so your husband [and you, if a taster] would certainly experience a range of whites and lighter reds - Pinot Noir - [unlike the heavier Australian reds].

I would be happy to assist with any questions you might have.

We recently disembarked from the Eclipse and are also wine lovers. I would recommend NOT purchasing any of the wine experiences/tastings onboard. They are geared more towards those who are just learning about wine...the wines are very pedestrian...wines I can find at home. Celebrity tries to bring some wines onboard at different ports, but we had a hard time finding any big, bold reds. Get to know your sommelier and visit Cellar Masters. Once they get to know you, most will do what they can to find you wines you will enjoy.

Not sure what happens to my post. Thanks for your help,

Not going to Napier, I don't see any winery shore excursions except for Melbourne- Wallabies & Wine- Yarra Valley & Healesville Wildlife sanctuary.

We have one day in Auk so perhaps could book something- any ideas for tours or wineries somewhat close by.

Do we need to prebook Reidel thing for $89pp

You do not need to prebook the Reidel wine tasting, or any of the wine events. I don't even know if you can, well maybe the Reidel but not necessary.

There is a port of call boards that should have more information on what is available in the different ports in OZ.

We have one day in Auk so perhaps could book something- any ideas for tours or wineries somewhat close by.

Go to Waiheke Island for the day. It's about 40 minutes by ferry. There are some excellent wineries on Waiheke. Google Waiheke Wine Tours - there are a few options.

The Matakana wineries mentioned by PeterGavin earlier are also excellent.