Florida Ships

bvm5

There seems to be a prevailing thought process, and maybe its from "newbie" cruisers that bigger somehow correlates to "better". Let you in on a little secret, that is rarely the case

Oh boy! You are SO correct! However it's hard to change the status quo opinion that bigger is better.

Where's Mardi Gras when we need her? :D

MARDI_GRAS.jpg

Oh boy! You are SO correct! However it's hard to change the status quo opinion that bigger is better.

Where's Mardi Gras when we need her? :D

MARDI_GRAS.jpg

There are some that post things such as "Well I only cruise newer, bigger ships...."

Okkkkkkkkkkkkk................why?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

There are soooo many better options for ports of call when you embark in Florida, and the prices are so much better than Galveston ... I'd cruise on the S.S. Minnow. Lol

I would cruise once a month if we had those little 3-day, weekend getaways.

*sigh*

There are soooo many better options for ports of call when you embark in Florida, and the prices are so much better than Galveston ... I'd cruise on the S.S. Minnow. Lol

I would cruise once a month if we had those little 3-day, weekend getaways.

*sigh*

♫♫♪ A three hour tour, a three hour tour. ♪♪♫

In Jacksonville, the Fantasy Class Ships are the only ones that could fit under the Dames Point Bridge.

Tampa also has a bridge clearance problem.

I guess in Florida's case, it just simply has nearly half of the fleet. The only year-round non-Florida homes for Carnival ships:

Baltimore (Pride)

Charleston (Ecstasy)

Galveston (Breeze, Freedom, Liberty)

Long Beach (Imagination, Inspiration, Miracle)

Mobile (Fantasy starting 11/9/16)

New Orleans (Dream)

San Juan (Fascination)

Seattle/Melbourne, AUS (Legend)

Sydney, AUS/Shanghai (Spirit)

That's 12 of the 25 ships home porting in Florida for at least part of the year. Splendor will head to China, but Horizon will likely take her place, so Florida will have 12 of the 26 ships starting in Spring 2018. The only possible change I could see is if one ship gets based year round in New York or Boston, but Florida will likely still have at least 11 ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tampa also has a bridge clearance problem.

I guess in Florida's case, it just simply has nearly half of the fleet. The only year-round non-Florida homes for Carnival ships:

Baltimore (Pride)

Charleston (Ecstasy)

Galveston (Breeze, Freedom, Liberty)

Long Beach (Imagination, Inspiration, Miracle)

Mobile (Fantasy starting 11/9/16)

New Orleans (Dream)

San Juan (Fascination)

Seattle/Melbourne, AUS (Legend)

Sydney, AUS/Shanghai (Spirit)

That's 12 of the 25 ships home porting in Florida for at least part of the year. Splendor will head to China, but Horizon will likely take her place, so Florida will have 12 of the 26 ships starting in Spring 2018. The only possible change I could see is if one ship gets based year round in New York or Boston, but Florida will likely still have at least 11 ships.

Im gunna have to correct you here! The pride leaves baltimore january 2nd and doesnt arrive back until march 12! Im guessing the cruise line wants to avoid having the staff shoveling the deck if a snow storm happens to rill through baltimore on a port day. Or first day sailing with 20* twmps before the windchill!

Why are there only the old small ships in Florida? Seems like all the bigger ones are in other states and we are left with the left overs.

Imagine how all of us land-locked saps feel!

Magic is already in Port Canaveral, and has been for a few months.

I was just looking at the next available on the website to help and provide information. Not sure why people are being so snarky tonight..

Edited by rae.holmes

I was just looking at the next available on the website to help and provide information. Not sure why people are being so snarky tonight..

All the OP wanted to know was why Florida had ONLY small and old ships. I don't know how the OP came to think that:confused:

Depending when Conquest and Splendor are in Ft.L, Valor, Victory, Magic, Sunshine are in Pt. Canaveral, Glory and Vista in Miami. Not small ships.

Depending when Dream is in NO, Freedom and Breeze in Galveston.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

In some ports the height of BRIDGES restrict the size of the ships that can sail from there ,,, including Jacksonville, Tampa, and Baltimore.

The newer the ship the bigger and taller they are becoming thus they don't fit under the bridges.

Oh poor Floridians with 5 ports close by and only "small" ships. No sympathy here in Indiana for you. I frequently pay more for flights than I do for the cruise fare, no matter how small the ship is. [emoji22]

Seriously though, it could be that a lot of the smaller ships are used for shorter 3-4 days cruises of which Florida has many.

Edited by Becci

Because of the Skyway Bridge, there is a height limit for Tampa. If you've ever been on the Paradise, there isnt a lot of room between the stack and the bridge. The breeze wa just in Miami and now Magic is in Canaveral. Vista coming, plus the Glory.... i would LOVE to hear what your idea of a big ship is!

Same with Jax

I am with the group that says Floridians don't have any reason to gripe. We'll take any ship- small and/or old here in Kansas. Like someone else said, we pay as much for our flights as we do our cruise fare a lot of the time. I guess we land locked people can choose any US port for our embarkation port, because we have to fly or drive a really long distance no matter where our cruise starts. I've found repositioning cruises are a fun choice too.

Why are there only the old small ships in Florida? Seems like all the bigger ones are in other states and we are left with the left overs.

I agree with you. I live a light jog away from the fort Lauderdale port. I see the ships when I go to pubix! This year my family is driving up to port Canaveral because the lack of ships down south. All the people complaining about Florida having so many ships seem to forget that the Carnival headquarters are in Miami.

I agree with you. I live a light jog away from the fort Lauderdale port. I see the ships when I go to pubix! This year my family is driving up to port Canaveral because the lack of ships down south. All the people complaining about Florida having so many ships seem to forget that the Carnival headquarters are in Miami.

So you are really close to FTL & Mia....why drive to Pt Canaveral?

Edited by First and Ten

So you are really close to FTL & Mia....why drive to Pt Canaveral?

We are driving to port Canaveral because we wanted the better ship. Last year we did the Glory and over all we were not impressed. The 2 years prior to that we were on the breeze and had our best carnival experiences. Soooo in less than a week we will be driving to the carnival magic because it is a sister ship.