first cruise in hurricane season

amandaaa04

I've just read that NOAA is forecasting the strongest hurricane season since 2012.

I'm heading north in October. Fingers crossed. ;)

From what Ive been reading NOAA hasn't been accurate since the 2012 season. This years seasonal predictions have already been changed and it has been very quite out there.

I've just read that NOAA is forecasting the strongest hurricane season since 2012.

I'm heading north in October. Fingers crossed. ;)

And you can toss the season predictions in the trash with last yesterdays garage. That is about all they are worth.

hey all...

i'm heading out on my first ever cruise and while I'm anxious in a couple ways (mainly not knowing if i get sea sick!) my biggest question is what happens if there's a hurricane? how does that work?

i'll be going on the pride out of baltimore on the 21st - freeport, half moon cay and grand turk.

thanks!

First off, I hope you have a great cruise on the Carnival Pride. We'll be taking our 5th cruise on the Pride in early 2017.

Prior to cruising from Baltimore, we did many cruises from NY to Bermuda, and all of those cruises were in September, and hurricane season. Out of all of those cruises, we were close to a hurricane only once and had to be re-routed from one port to another. The captain made sure to keep us out of harm's way.

As others have mentioned, I strongly recommend taking Bonine the night before you sail, and while sailing. Best not to wait until you think you might need it and better to get it into your system beforehand. I still take it just to be on the safe side, even though I don't think I need to.

I just got home from a 2 week land vacation in Playa Del Carmen. The forecast for Tropical Storm/Hurricane Earl originally had Cozumel and PDC directly in the projected path cone. The day before it was forecast to come ashore the path changed to a more southerly route, impacting Roatan and Belize.

I read that those 2 ports were cancelled by ships/cruise lines that had them scheduled, but I saw ships in Coz every day that week. We had 3 nights of wicked T Storms in PDC, but great day time weather, and except for some large waves, it was vacation as usual.

So not only long range forecasts be off, but immediate 3 day predictions also. There was plenty of time in this case to re-route the ships heading towards Roatan and Belize.

Edited by evandbob

You've been lucky.

We've had a couple of VERY rough rides, missed ports, and even a cancelled cruise. :eek:

October is still my favorite time to cruise. We've had more smooth cruises than rough ones.

Call me crazy, but the rough ones were exciting.

Me too.:)

hey all...

i'm heading out on my first ever cruise and while I'm anxious in a couple ways (mainly not knowing if i get sea sick!) my biggest question is what happens if there's a hurricane? how does that work?

i'll be going on the pride out of baltimore on the 21st - freeport, half moon cay and grand turk.

thanks!

Ships can generally move faster than hurricanes.

And faster than that sometimes is the reshuffling port ports when one is active.

Generally, it's when a hurricane is headed for a ships point of embarkation/debarkation that things can fall apart quickly.

In any case, they are the experts, and they will give you good advice, up to and including cancelled cruises, which are rare, but do happen.

We have sailed from Miami, Florida, Jacksonville, Florida & Fort Lauderdale, Florida. All during hurricane season. I have never had any bad weather on any cruise yet! I have though gotten sea sick on my second cruise. I am not prone to motion sickness though! As a matter of fact we had not even left Miami, when I began feeling a bit dizzy headed and weak in the stomach! I never really got sick. I just felt ill! We were on the Destiny, (Now The Sunshine) we were leaving from Miami, at 4:00 PM. The ship had just come out of dry dock, and and between loading things on the ship and some other things it was delayed until about 9:00 PM! The sights of Miami, from a cruise ship deck is amazing, Daytime or Nighttime. Nighttime was very nice with lights of Miami, but the ship was facing the port so it had to turn around in the port! Watching the Lights on a moving ship. made me ill! after lunch the next day I was fine! I have never had any ill effects while at sea!

We sailed out of Baltimore in October 2012. Surely we thought we were at the end of hurricane season and that we would be good. HAHA. We were hit by Hurricane Sandy and she had our ship a rocking. That was my 5th cruise and I had never been sea sick a day in my life until that cruise. I highly suggest Bonine, it took about a day to kick in since I was already sea sick when I started taking it. When you would walk around the ship, everyone would just sway with the ship, there was no straight line walking that cruise. They had to cancel all of the shows and entertainment because it was not safe for the crew. We were on a 7 day cruise and we were able to get off the ship for a total of 4 hours in Grand Turk. The Captain ended up getting us home a day early so we could get off the ship before they closed the Port of Baltimore down. I am sure the crew was happy since they then had to head back out to sea for 24 hours before they were able to get back into port and pick up the next sailing.

With that all being said, we still had a blast, maybe drank a lot more then we would have on a normal cruise, but what else can you do when you are stuck on a ship. We sail again this October out of Puerto Rico, so crossing our fingers for an uneventful cruise weather wise.

My first cruise was on the Pride during New Years week . Returning north I watched the TV channel at 4 AM showing the wind hitting up to 60 knots . It was fierce .:eek: Perhaps not hurricane fierce but wild none the less with BIG waves. Worst cruise weather I've experienced . Kinda fun in a rollercoaster way .

I have a funny story. My very first cruise in Oct 2013 was a 4 day on the Triumph. I was with a big group of friends. We are all excited. On embarkment day, They are talking about TS Karen but reassure us that they will go around her. I think they said we would be 150 miles around her. We were on Deck 2 in an oceanview. At 5AM, the waves begin to get rough. I mean I was air born off the bed. It scared me but eventually it rocked me back to sleep. I awake just before 7 and couldn't go back to sleep. So as not to awake my friend and cabin mate, I get dressed to go to the Buffet. At this point I'm feeling fine. I ride the elevator to the Lido deck (I think it's deck 10 on Triumph). I get off the elevator and immediately grab the wall for dear life. Yes it happened that quick. I stubble a few step, the feeling was awful. I was so dizzy and nauseous. I promised myself that if we got to Cozumel safely, I would fly home and never step foot on a cruise ship again. Decision made I proceed to the buffet. I don't know what I was thinking I just found myself in the buffet line. I think I was just staring at it. Finally this older gentlemen behind me, said "Ma'am, you don't look so good." I responded that I think I was seasick and maybe a little hung over. You see, we had gotten into our "bring on" wine the day before plus our TA sent us wine at dinner. I'll never forget his reply..."You need an apple and a Banana". I was really unsure but since nothing else sounded appealing I grab an apple and a banana. I go sit down. I absolutely hate biting into an apple. But didn't dare get up to go get knife. So bite into it I did. I'm still pretty skeptical here. I start figuring out the logistics of flying home and wonder how big a hit it would be to my savings. Who I could call to pick me up at the airport and drive me to Galveston to get my car. I tell you this because I want you to know I was serious. I was having no part of this. This is Sea Day 1 and I was calling it over. But by the time I got the banana down. I notice my stomach had settle some. The boat is still rocking (it would be rough until about 10 or 11 am) but I didn't feel so bad. I got up and went got me a Diet Coke to drink. Sipped it. Feeling even better, I went back thru the buffet and got some toast and eggs. By 9 am I was feeling pretty good. I go back downstairs and my friend is up. I ask her how she feels. She says she's fine and the rocking of the ship didn't bother her. She wants to go eat at the buffet. So I tell her I go with you. The exact same thing happened to her as soon as we got off the elevator. So I'm like apple and a banana. Needless to say we were laying by the pool enjoying the sunshine by the time the rest of our group got around. They all had their stories on their own sea sickness. Most went to the gift shop for either Dramamine or the bracelets. Needless to say I didn't fly home from Cozumel. I'll be taking my 5th cruise in Oct. I'm forever grateful to that nice man. Although it probably would have been cheaper in the long run if I'd flown home from Cozumel. ;).