Question re: dinner without tablecloths

manmachine

I asked for and received a second napkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's what I would do. Sometime the extra silverware gets in the way if it is all on the plate. I don't want a soup spoon, desert fork, etc on the plate that I am eating my main course on. I definitely don't want to put it on the table. Sure they clean the tables with some "special solution", but when was the last time they cleaned the rag? Just gross.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Table Etiquette

Once you begin the meal, your utensils should never touch the table, as no one enjoys the site of a soiled tablecloth. It’s improper to even allow the handle of a utensil to touch the table while the other end rests on the plate.

I agree with the first part, but not the second.

348e49faa2662f70e527777e7abf667b_thumb.jpg

Where do you put your silverware?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With or without a tablecloth we were always expected to have proper table manners growing up ...so..always keep your fork in your left hand, face down, knife in your right when cutting (no stabbing omg) if you are not finished but need to put you knife/fork down, they go on your plate in a "open" or "820pm" sort of cross design. When you are completely finished, "close" your knife and fork on your plate "together" in a "1020pm" this will let your servers know you are done. Never at anytime should you put your utensils on the table once you have used them.

Glad you are not eating at my house. Nothing grosses me out more than food placed on a table or tablecloth, dirty flatware on a tablecloth or a bare table.

In my experience, butter knives and rolls go on a plate, used flatware is placed on or in the bowl or plate that was used. The MDR staff always takes my flatware when they clean my eating area and bring me new clean flatware with the next course. If you can't balance your utensils on a plate during bites just ask for an additional napkin. I'm sure the staff will comply with your request.

you don't lick your fork or spoon clean before putting it down. :confused:

Never understood the complaints about no tablecloths. Personally I don't care for them and prefer the tables without them. Also too when I am not using a utensil I still have it placed on a plate, not the table.

We have had the problem of accidentally pulling the table cloth when getting in or out of the table, so I like them gone.

I find it admirable that some on this forum take the time to teach us proper etiquette but so many times there are certain circumstances where common sense must prevail and you must exempt yourself from proper etiquette for the time being.

I cruise a lot with 5 people and only infrequently will they seat us at a table for 6. They usually cram us in on a round table for 4 and add a chair and a place serving. Then a couple of people will order more than one appetizer and more than one entree and with the wine glasses, water glasses, ice tea glasses, plates, bread plates, signs with waiter's names, salt & pepper shakers, sweeteners, ketchup bottles, tabasco sauce and steak sauce bottles, I find it quite impossible to find a place on the table to lay an extra napkin with a spoon on it and to put my spoon on my bread plate to fill with bread crumbs to stir my next glass of ice tea with is not my fondest desire.

And balancing your knife, fork and spoon on the rim of your plate while taking a sip of drink while crammed into this situation is really next to impossible. So excuse my faux pas if I don't live up to the proper etiquette rules under these trying circumstances.

Perhaps if Carnival were to seat us more properly with adequate room for proper manners then these situations would not arise.

I think you should just be upfront and tell them a table for 4 with an extra chair is not acceptable and you will wait for a proper sized table. You are the customer and if requested properly, BEFORE they are walking you to the table shouldn't be a problem for them.

even when they had tableclothes, i still put a napkin on a table.....same as at chili's but the napkin is paper.....and i put my utensils on the napkin. doesn't matter to me what miss manners or someones grandmother says i should be doing. i do what's comfortable for me.