Question re: dinner without tablecloths

manmachine

On your plate. Where do you put your silverware while eating in the buffet? Seems kind of gross that people would put dirty silverware on a tablecloth.

And, at the beginning of a meal flatware is placed on a recently clean table that has been cleaned with a special solution.

On your plate. Where do you put your silverware while eating in the buffet? Seems kind of gross that people would put dirty silverware on a tablecloth.

And, at the beginning of a meal flatware is placed on a recently clean table that has been cleaned with a special solution.

Correct me if I am wrong but eating at a table with tablecloth silverwear goes onto table cloth between bites. I do expect restaurant to put out new clean tablecloth for next diner.

Edited by Micah's Grandad

Correct me if I am wrong but eating at a table with tablecloth silverwear goes onto table cloth between bites. I do expect restaurant to put out new clean tablecloth for next diner.

Glad you are not eating at my house. Nothing grosses me out more than food placed on a table or tablecloth, dirty flatware on a tablecloth or a bare table.

In my experience, butter knives and rolls go on a plate, used flatware is placed on or in the bowl or plate that was used. The MDR staff always takes my flatware when they clean my eating area and bring me new clean flatware with the next course. If you can't balance your utensils on a plate during bites just ask for an additional napkin. I'm sure the staff will comply with your request.

No need to correct you... You are exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Table Etiquette

Once you begin the meal, your utensils should never touch the table, as no one enjoys the site of a soiled tablecloth. It’s improper to even allow the handle of a utensil to touch the table while the other end rests on the plate.

Stu, you are wrong. Utensils stay on the plate "between bites" and are not placed on the tablecloth.

Stu, you are wrong. Utensils stay on the plate "between bites" and are not placed on the tablecloth where dining etiquette matters. But hey, it's Carnival, not a state dinner. If I had put my gravy laden utensils on my grandmother's tablecloth between bites on Thanksgiving I would have been told not to.

Edited by AHS123

Used silverware does not go on the tablecloth after a meal! The utensils stay on your plate while you are eating with the fork tines up. When you are done, then you can place your fork with the tines down and the knife next to it.

Never have I seen it proper to put used silverware on the tablecloth, whether you are done or not. I would love to see where that "etiquette" came from.

Used silverware does not go on the tablecloth after a meal! The utensils stay on your plate while you are eating with the fork tines up. When you are done, then you can place your fork with the tines down and the knife next to it.

Never have I seen it proper to put used silverware on the tablecloth, whether you are done or not. I would love to see where that "etiquette" came from.

Yes, and I bet you, like I also hate to see people hold the knife or fork incorrectly. Can't understand that.

Snarkiness aside, do they "set" the table or just bring you silver as you need it e.g. salad fork with the salad, soup spoon with the soup, fresh fork or spoon with desert etc. rather than pre-set a full tablesetting? I presume they have a bread plate, so the OP could rest silverware there I suppose. Maybe they use placemats...I don't know. I don't eat at Applebees or that type of chain restaurant, but I presume in those sorts of restaurants, they prewrap the silver in a napkin and then you unfold all your stainless and put it on the napkin while you wait for your food, putting the napkin in my lap when the dishes arrive...or at least that is what I would do. Another thought is using the coasters or water glass napkin assuming they use coasters or napkins for water glasses so the tables don't get all wet from condensation. I've done that in bars that serve food on bare tabletops.

Can't stop laughing!

LOL...best answer of the day!

Actually, I loved that one, too! Just impressed that many people are thinking about using utensils. Not serving utensils in a buffet line, of course, but table utensils! Big step!