Wheelchair/Handicap excursions

rozychica

Hi! We are traveling Aug 22-27 to Cozumel and Progreso with Carnival Liberty.

My boyfriend is a paraplegic and is wheelchair bound 100%. He can transfer out of his wheelchair (manual chair) and fold up the chair to put in a trunk etc.

We are trying to figure out things to do during our port in Cozumel. Carnival is no help in advising us on what to choose in regards to excursions.

I would like to find an accessible beach. Or even an excursion to go on.

Any advice? Thanks!!

My boyfriend is a paraplegic and is wheelchair bound 100%. He can transfer out of his wheelchair (manual chair) and fold up the chair to put in a trunk etc.

We are trying to figure out things to do during our port in Cozumel. Carnival is no help in advising us on what to choose in regards to excursions.

Any advice? Thanks!!

I don't know if this site will help you? http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/cozumel-accessible-shore-excursions

There are wheelchair accessible taxis available but you may need to wait for one to be called by the dispatcher. Not sure if it would be easier to book a private driver through ToursPlaza, so that you can discuss requirements in advance and they could advise you on suitable locations to visit.

https://toursplaza.com/

The Money Bar claims to be 100% accessible according to the website and offers good food, views etc. It has sandy areas with loungers but not long sandy beach.

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/amenities.htm

Also I think Chankanaab has sand wheelchairs available (may be the beach in the first link) but they cannot be reserved.

Edited by c-leg5

That is a tough one... I can't remember for sure which places have ramps. Cozumel has a lot of broken sidewalks and I always trip walking on them if I am not careful. Taking a taxi downtown and then shopping, people watching might work but honestly Cozumel just isn't set up with an easy plan. Too much sand and broken sidewalks.

If you could go to Chankanaab that might be good, but I haven't been there in 10+ years and it has changed so much. I hope someone answers as this would be a great place since there is plenty to see. It is a state park.

oooh.... just thought of something. How about the submarine ride? I bet that would work. NEVER MIND..... just looked at the Carnival listing, says passengers must be able to climb down a ladder.

Edited by ABQrobin

Thanks for the replies! I will check them out. I was hoping at least one port we could do something. I think I read Progreso is a really bad port for accessibility. So Cozumel I am hoping for some luck especially since my last cruise in 2013 Cozumel was a bust for me due my excursion being cancelled.

Thanks for the replies! I will check them out. I was hoping at least one port we could do something. I think I read Progreso is a really bad port for accessibility. So Cozumel I am hoping for some luck especially since my last cruise in 2013 Cozumel was a bust for me due my excursion being cancelled.

Meant to add yesterday - you may get more help and suggestions if you ask on the disabled cruise travel board on CC

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

• 1 year later...

Any advice? Thanks!!

What about salsa and salsa? That was fun and no difficulty in doing it. Uxmal, though not huge with handicapped people, has taken steps to make much of it accessible. I myself am not able to walk very far at all and have difficulties, but we want to take our grandsons to see Uxmal next month. I will let you know how we do.

I was in Cozumel last week and we took a taxi to Chankanaab Park. I did notice someone pushing a beach type wheelchair - the ones's with fat wheels. There is a smooth walkway to the beach and you could probably get to the pool area with someone strong pushing. Restroom access would be ok at the restaurant nearest the entrance - I don't recall any steps. I think that the other restroom/shower that we used - a bit further down the beach, had some a few shallow steps. You do need to take steps down to get into the water - it's rocky there before you get into the water. Good luck!