Favorite Barcelona Hotel

kandj05

Thank you EnricM. I really appreciate the speedy response and clarification. We will arrive in Barcelona, from our cruise, on May 4, 2017. We arrive very early. We have one day to see what we can see. We plan to go to Sagrada Familia. We are wondering if we should do a HOHO bus? Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thank you EnricM. I really appreciate the speedy response and clarification. We will arrive in Barcelona, from our cruise, on May 4, 2017. We arrive very early. We have one day to see what we can see. We plan to go to Sagrada Familia. We are wondering if we should do a HOHO bus? Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

We really enjoyed seeing the city from HoHo bus which we boarded at its start at Plaza Catalunya. Are you planning on seeing the interior of La Sagrada? If so, I'd recommend reserving tickets online for the earliest time you can get there taking taxi from ship. What are you doing with your luggage, or is Barcelona simply a port stop or do you have hotel room??

There is a HoHo stop, blue route, right across the street from La Sagrada so after seeing La Sagrada you could ride that loop, getting off at Plaza Catalunya, walking across the plaza and getting on the red route HoHo bus on same ticket.

When you say you have one day, are you going to airport the same day or is it port stop, re-boarding the ship?

Edited by NMLady

We really enjoyed seeing the city from HoHo bus which we boarded at its start at Plaza Catalunya. Are you planning on seeing the interior of La Sagrada? If so, I'd recommend reserving tickets online for the earliest time you can get there taking taxi from ship. What are you doing with your luggage, or is Barcelona simply a port stop or do you have hotel room??

There is a HoHo stop, blue route, right across the street from La Sagrada so after seeing La Sagrada you could ride that loop, getting off at Plaza Catalunya, walking across the plaza and getting on the red route HoHo bus on same ticket.

When you say you have one day, are you going to airport the same day or is it port stop, re-boarding the ship?

Here is my original post from one page back:

I should have possibly read this before booking our hotel. Now I am having doubts after reading the post by EnricM. We did book our hotel in El Gotic. It is Hotel Barcelona Catedral. It is a 4 1/2 star hotel with great reviews. We only have one day in Barcelona after we get off the ship and then we fly out very early the next morning. It is very close to a beautiful cathedral, Las Ramblas, and Plaza Catalunya. We know we won't have time to see much so thought it was the perfect solution. Have we made a mistake? We would really like to end this trip of a lifetime in celebration of our 20th anniversary on a positive note.

I think this answers your questions regarding our itinerary. Thank you. :)

Kristy

Here is my original post from one page back:

I should have possibly read this before booking our hotel. Now I am having doubts after reading the post by EnricM. We did book our hotel in El Gotic. It is Hotel Barcelona Catedral. It is a 4 1/2 star hotel with great reviews. We only have one day in Barcelona after we get off the ship and then we fly out very early the next morning. It is very close to a beautiful cathedral, Las Ramblas, and Plaza Catalunya. We know we won't have time to see much so thought it was the perfect solution. Have we made a mistake? We would really like to end this trip of a lifetime in celebration of our 20th anniversary on a positive note.

I think this answers your questions regarding our itinerary. Thank you. :)

Kristy

I wouldn't worry about having booked in Barri Gotic ;) It is our favourite location. We have stayed at the Acta Atrium Palace in Paseig, Eijample (sp?) and on Las Ramblas. The Barri is by far our favourite. We chose Hotel Colon last time and didn't regret it one bit. You are going to love being close to the Cathedral Las Ramblas etc.

I think you will have a marvellous time in that location. Remember, we all have our personal preferences. One of the nice things about the area is the small streets, the hidden gems you find whether they be restaurants or stores or just some super squares :)

Hi Ron & Kristy

... whatever you decide to do, make sure you pre-book the major attractions so as not to waste time queueing and, in fact, to ensure you can visit them at all. Not only we receive foreign visitors all year long, but we also have lots of internal tourism within Catalonia (schools, OAPs...). Besides, keep in mind that many of your fellow travellers in the same cruise (and other cruisers that might be mooring the same day!) are likely to focus on the same places.

Hohos, to me, are a bit of a mixed bag... on the one hand I don't like them, I'm more the adventurous type when exploring a city: me, my guidebooks and a map, it's all I need and then public transportation. This gives me and my party the chance to do as we please when we please and not being driven like a flock of sheeps with dozens of other visitors. But on the other hand, when time is scarce, a hoho gives you the opportunity to have a quick glance (but only a glance!) of the city being visited, and then you can focus on the specifics, this or that sight that caught your eye. Anyhow, if you ask me, if I don't have much time, I prefer to adjust my available time to a few sights (or just strolling an area by myself) rather than driving around without being able actually to see anything properly.

Check ideas here: http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/ | http://www.infocatalonia.eu | http://www.timeout.com/barcelona | http://lameva.barcelona.cat

Enjoy!

Hi Ron & Kristy

... whatever you decide to do, make sure you pre-book the major attractions so as not to waste time queueing and, in fact, to ensure you can visit them at all. Not only we receive foreign visitors all year long, but we also have lots of internal tourism within Catalonia (schools, OAPs...). Besides, keep in mind that many of your fellow travellers in the same cruise (and other cruisers that might be mooring the same day!) are likely to focus on the same places.

Hohos, to me, are a bit of a mixed bag... on the one hand I don't like them, I'm more the adventurous type when exploring a city: me, my guidebooks and a map, it's all I need and then public transportation. This gives me and my party the chance to do as we please when we please and not being driven like a flock of sheeps with dozens of other visitors. But on the other hand, when time is scarce, a hoho gives you the opportunity to have a quick glance (but only a glance!) of the city being visited, and then you can focus on the specifics, this or that sight that caught your eye. Anyhow, if you ask me, if I don't have much time, I prefer to adjust my available time to a few sights (or just strolling an area by myself) rather than driving around without being able actually to see anything properly.

Check ideas here: http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/ | http://www.infocatalonia.eu | http://www.timeout.com/barcelona | http://lameva.barcelona.cat

Enjoy!

EnricM, thank you so much for all of the wonderful information. You are very kind. This is our very first trip to Europe and to be honest Barcelona was an unexpected bonus. We had already decided that extra days would be spent in Rome because it is close to the top on my bucket list. Unfortunately the day the ship docks in Civitavecchia it happens to be a national holiday, May 1st, so the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and Vatican Museums are closed. This is the main reason why we are flying into Rome and spending 3 days. I know that I won't get to see much in Barcelona in the short amount of time we have but I will see something and that is awesome. Maybe it will be the next vacation to Europe that we decide on. :)

My wife and I will be traveling to Europe for the first time for our 10 year wedding anniversary and sailing out of Barcelona on NCL Epic May 7 .

I have booked our pre and post stay at Hotel Colon I aske for any recommendations or a heads up on what to expect with hotel Colon .

TIA

Alex..

EnricM, I've been reading your previous responses and sincerely appreciate your helpful suggestions! Quick question: With all our cruising in the last 12 months, just realized we double-booked our hotel for our TA cruise departing Barcelona. Forgot we'd booked one hotel almost a year ago, and after returning from an extended vacation and dealing with family emergencies, booked another several months ago while trying to finalize our upcoming cruise plans. Other than $100 price difference for the 2-night stay, thoughts on one hotel versus another - ease getting from airport to hotel, bus/train stops, HOHO bus, etc. We booked the Sagrada Familia tour (early access on Sat @ 8:50 a.m.) and may join friends at Lonja de Tapas (El Born). Previously stayed on Las Ramblas and took a City Center tour. Thanks much!

Both hotels are well located. If anything Jazz is slightly closer. But honestly, we're talking about Silken being a 10' walk away, literally, so this shouldn't be a factor. I'd choose the hotel based on which one entices you more. That's obviously personal, but to me, anything within a 15-20' walk radius from Plaça Catalunya I consider it to be "in the centre", and sometimes, being slightly off the dead centre can be a blessing!

Edited by EnricM

We booked the Hotel Continental and now I'm 2nd guessing myself, as usual. We only have one night post cruise and originally wanted to be in the Gothic Area. I just found out that our room at the Hotel Continental will be an inside room with a window, possibly looking at a wall. The room was pre-paid but is able to be cancelled with full refund.

There is a small hotel called El Jardi that gets great reviews and the cost for the highest priced room with a balcony over-looking the square in the Gothic area by the cathedral, is less then what we're paying at the Continental. Yes, it is a very simple, basic room but they say that the location is perfect.

What stops me is that a vehicle might not be able to pick or let you off at the door. I'm not sure about it, but, I thought I read it somewhere. We have a flight that leaves at 11:15a.m. the next morning and don't know if it would be a hassle and take up time getting out of there. Hauling a few bags of luggage a little distance could be a a pain!

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

@karinad... can you walk 200 yards... literally? Then you're set.

Anyhow, while those streets are indeed pedestrianised, I've seenthe odd vehicle passing by so I'm not 100% sure the taxi couldn't drop you at the door of the hotel. But even if it doesn't, as I said, it's just 200 yards from Les Rambles, in front of the El Liceu stop, that shouldn't be a drama... even with luggage!

@karinad... can you walk 200 yards... literally? Then you're set.

Anyhow, while those streets are indeed pedestrianised, I've seenthe odd vehicle passing by so I'm not 100% sure the taxi couldn't drop you at the door of the hotel. But even if it doesn't, as I said, it's just 200 yards from Les Rambles, in front of the El Liceu stop, that shouldn't be a drama... even with luggage!

Oh, thank you! I was worried that it could be like it is in Venice! Have u heard of the Hotel El Jardi, Enric?

Yes, passed by many times... but I'm not in the tourism business and I live here, so there's little I can tell you about hotels -other than maybe a comment about location and reputation (for the most famous that is).

Edited by EnricM

Yes, passed by many times... but I'm not in the tourism business and I live here, so there's little I can tell you about hotels -other than maybe a comment about location and reputation (for the most famous that is).

I guess there are so many small hotels, etc., that no one could know unless u stayed there. We live in a small town with one hotel and a B&B and I still couldn't tell you about them!;)

!!SAM!!

Well, if you already booked, it really doesn't matter, right? what's done is done :)

Anyhow, I already gave my thoughts on this area here. Me -as well as many Barcelonians- tend to avoid Les Rambles when possible: too crowded, too rowdy, tacky souvenir shops, outrageously expensive terraces serving crappy food (absolutely disgusting frozen paellas, sangria with the cheapest wine you can buy, etc.)... For me, Les Rambles is a route to go to A or to B, but most of the time it's no longer pleasant to stroll like it once was, when it was called La Rambla de Les Floristes (the florists boulevard) due to the large number of florist stands there was.

Does it mean it's somewhere to avoid?, no, if you're visiting Barcelona you *must* walk Les Rambles... but staying *in* Les Rambles is something else. But again, that's my opinion.

The lower Raval area, especially the streets Carrer Nou de la Rambla, Carrer Sant Ramon, Carrer de l'Est... can be a bit seedy in the evening. The Red Light District is there and you can find street prostitution and pushers.

Edited by EnricM

If I'm remembering correctly, this is the hotel where we stayed about 20 years ago. We enjoyed the hotel and its location--BUT if I'm remembering correctly, there was a cathedral across the street and we found the bells maddening: made for a very unrestful stay. I'm hoping that someone can confirm-- or better yet, say it ain't so.

If I'm remembering correctly, this is the hotel where we stayed about 20 years ago. We enjoyed the hotel and its location--BUT if I'm remembering correctly, there was a cathedral across the street and we found the bells maddening: made for a very unrestful stay. I'm hoping that someone can confirm-- or better yet, say it ain't so.

Are you referring to the Hotel Colon? We are at the Barcelona Catedral Hotel and I know it is right by a cathedral. Not worried though. Only there one night after the cruise and a short night at that. We have to be at the airport at 4:45 am!

Barcelona is the fourth top destination in Europe, and ranks among the top15 in the world, year after year. Besides, when it's not summer vacation, it's this business event, that concert, that exhibition or conference, a major sport event, festival, etc. ... or a bunch of them coinciding at the same time. So the city is busy all year round. In September there are several events, among them, the Festival de La Mercè, which gathers many thousands of visitors from all over Europe.

These are the reasons sometimes hotels are unavailable (even a year ahead!) and/or prices skyrocket from one week to the next.

Edited by EnricM

Have been reading all the great hotel suggestions for Barcelona but when I look into availability for some of these hotels for next Sept, some already sold out. Find it rather odd that some hotels are sold out a year in advance.:confused:

Maybe there is more than one cruise in port. That can be a huge influx of people. Check multiple search engines. I used http://www.agoda.com.

We stayed at the Hotel Barcelona Universal. We walked over to the Las Ramblas, about a 12 min walk.

Lots of great information in this thread! Tough choice for us between Hotel Jazz and Hotel Barcelona Universal, but we ultimately chose Hotel Barcelona Universal. Just booked it today for 2 nights pre-cruise next May. We splurged a little bit and got a terrace room as this vacation/cruise we will be celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. This hotel also offered an Anniversary Package which is what we booked under.

Thanks also for the information in your other post on directions to walk to Las Ramblas. This hotel appears to be very conveniently located.

Lots of great information in this thread! Tough choice for us between Hotel Jazz and Hotel Barcelona Universal, but we ultimately chose Hotel Barcelona Universal. Just booked it today for 2 nights pre-cruise next May. We splurged a little bit and got a terrace room as this vacation/cruise we will be celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. This hotel also offered an Anniversary Package which is what we booked under.

Thanks also for the information in your other post on directions to walk to Las Ramblas. This hotel appears to be very conveniently located.

WE just returned from cruise yesterday and had a great 2 night stay at Barcelona Universal in room with terrace on 9th floor, really nice small pool and bar on 10th floor with a great city view. Tapas bars in the area were really good and cheap, 1st one we stopped at only charged us 3 euro's for 2 Amstel light beers, hotel also has a very nice breakfast buffet for 15 euro's that includes champagne, we will stay here again if we get the chance to visit this beautiful city again. Walk to Las Rambles was just 10 mins