Princess Shuttle location at Vancouver (YVR) airport

MsSoCalCruiser

We have never been to Vancouver (YVR) airport before. We are flying Delta. Do you know the distance between the Delta gates and the Princess shuttles?

Also, this is our first time flying into another country. What do we have to do once we land? How much time is usually involved?

Thanks so much!

In virtually all cases, no matter the cruise line, or location, you meet the cruise line rep for ground transportation after you claim your bags.

In the case of an international flight, the cruise line rep can't meet you until after claiming your bags and dealing with passport and Customs checks, as that area is "sterile" and secure. So, you will exit the scure area to the "free" area and the Princess rep will be there.

Time and distance will depend on many variables. Could be as little as 15 minutes, but would expect 30, probably.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Once you deplane you will head from the gate to customs. After being processed at customs you can proceed to the baggage collection area (relatively close to customs). Once you have collected your bags you then proceed to the Arrivals area. Note that all international passengers proceed along the same route.

Once you enter the Arrivals Hall you will see the Princess rep. There are usually a number of reps from limo companies etc in the same general area. The entire process will take about half an hour.

Once you deplane you will head from the gate to customs. After being processed at customs you can proceed to the baggage collection area (relatively close to customs). Once you have collected your bags you then proceed to the Arrivals area. Note that all international passengers proceed along the same route.

Once you enter the Arrivals Hall you will see the Princess rep. There are usually a number of reps from limo companies etc in the same general area. The entire process will take about half an hour.

No passport check? That is not customs...separate process.

It is actually immigration (passport control) before you collect your suitcases. At immigration they check your custom declaration (and mark it as either no issue leave without questions or questions needed) and this you hand in when you leave arrivals. Then you'll meet the Princess rep. At YVR they usually have portable booths clearly showing the cruise line name.

No passport check? That is not customs...separate process.

As I read it the original question related to procedures in Vancouver.

The CBSA is often referred to as Customs and Immigration. Those of us who live here typically refer to it as Customs.

After deplaning one arrives at "Customs". If you are directed to a booth you will speak with an officer who will inspect your passport and review your Customs declaration. Alternatively you may bypass this process and be directed to a kiosk where entry is handled electronically.

Prior to actually entering the Arrivals Hall you will hand your Customs Declaration Form to an agent. Unless the form has been marked for further investigation you will simply pass through.

Never ceases to amaze me how people on CC can turn a simple question into an issue.

Seems like you now know you'll have passports checked and customs declaration handed in before you can get to the Princess minions.

But nobody mentioned the distance angle - it can be quite a schlep, depending which gate and how fast you walk around 5-10mins on foot from gate to baggage claim, but Delta usually seem to get E87, the closest gate, so more like 2-3 mins walk for most people. Terminal Maps are here; a guide for cruisers is here which confirms the above info (pass CBSA, collect bags, leave secure area and only then see cruise reps).

You may not know since it's your first time that you will actually go through US immigration & customs here in Vancouver before boarding your return flight and also at the pier before boarding the ship - this is why the maps linked above mention US CBP.

Personally I'd advise against a Princess (or any other cruiseline) transfer in Vancouver because there is basically zero extra convenience, it's slower, and hugely more expensive than other methods. At the point where you meet the reps you are already in the international arrivals lobby - so finding cabs, limos, and SkyTrain just involves walking to the other side of it then outside or up the stairs.

Cabs and limos are fixed price ($35+tip per car to the pier for the former, variable price for the latter depending on size but starting at about $70 for towncar incl tax & tip, going up to about double that for a 10pax stretch). If you check the price of the transfers, you'll probably find it's US$29pp.

Since all the local transportation uses Canadian $, that means even a solo traveler can take a cab by themselves for basically the same price. If you're a couple a towncar is comparable value, and five or more will pay less to travel in your own stretch limo!!!

SkyTrain is even cheaper at $9pp - $7.75 evenings and weekends - and avoids any traffic delays, but does mean a couple of blocks extra walking to the platform and three blocks on the downtown end. All of these methods should get you on your way faster than waiting for a bus to fill up before leaving as well...

Some ports are far away, have poor transport options, a language barrier, or something that makes cruise transfers the sensible option - but here they are basically a waste of time and money.

Thank you all. I feel better after reading your replies. We are using EZ Air, flying Delta, and we have purchased princess transfers.

We are doing something that I hope we don't regret, flying in the day of our cruise. I hope there are no computer issues.

This really helps a lot. Thanks again :)

We were there 8/3/16 and had planned on using the sky train, but when we picked up our bags, the Princess rep was there with a bus ready to leave, so we bought the transfer. You hand your bags over there and they were at our cabin when we got there. It couldn't have been easier.

This is one airport I would NOT use Princess transfers, especially if you have an afternoon-arriving plane.

After spending about an hour and a half standing and waiting through passport control, we got our bags, found our rep. in the baggage claim area and then waited with her inside. Then we waited with her outside. Then we waited and waited some more.

Then we boarded the bus and waited and waited some more. We were waiting for 3-4 other couples, the last of which were on a flight arriving 2.5 hrs. after us!! We were the last of Princess' passengers for the day, so they held us until they had the last remaining ones.

It doesn't happen like this all the time, but could happen to you. In some airports, it pays to take the Princess transfer because there are little to no other options but not in YVR.

In subsequent visits to YVR, I learned to grab a taxi. It makes for a much speedier trip to the ship. ;)

This is one airport I would NOT use Princess transfers, especially if you have an afternoon-arriving plane.

After spending about an hour and a half standing and waiting through passport control, we got our bags, found our rep. in the baggage claim area and then waited with her inside. Then we waited with her outside. Then we waited and waited some more.

Then we boarded the bus and waited and waited some more. We were waiting for 3-4 other couples, the last of which were on a flight arriving 2.5 hrs. after us!! We were the last of Princess' passengers for the day, so they held us until they had the last remaining ones.

It doesn't happen like this all the time, but could happen to you. In some airports, it pays to take the Princess transfer because there are little to no other options but not in YVR.

In subsequent visits to YVR, I learned to grab a taxi. It makes for a much speedier trip to the ship. ;)

I agree!! Grab a taxi. :eek:

Thanks for all the info! We are cruising out of Vancouver in September with Holland America (sorry to post in the Princess area of the forum, but this is where google led me and there is a TON of info on this thread about flying into YVR--thank you, again!).

The ship sails at 4:00pm and our flight from Utah to YVR is scheduled to arrive at 12:22pm. Are we cutting it too close? I have no idea how much time to allow for both customs, getting our bags, and then getting to the ship. Any advice is welcome.

We are open to moving our flights to the day before and getting a hotel, but need to decide soon. Would you all advise us to do that?

Edited by starofmay

Thanks for all the info! We are cruising out of Vancouver in September with Holland America (sorry to post in the Princess area of the forum, but this is where google led me and there is a TON of info on this thread about flying into YVR--thank you, again!).

The ship sails at 4:00pm and our flight from Utah to YVR is scheduled to arrive at 12:22pm. Are we cutting it too close? I have no idea how much time to allow for both customs, getting our bags, and then getting to the ship. Any advice is welcome.

We are open to moving our flights to the day before and getting a hotel, but need to decide soon. Would you all advise us to do that?

When possible, it is better to arrive in the morning, or even a day before, in case flight delays occurs.

Best you find and join your roll call for your cruise for appropriate advice: http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=21

When possible, it is better to arrive in the morning, or even a day before, in case flight delays occurs.

Best you find and join your roll call for your cruise for appropriate advice: http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=21

Thanks for the advice. I think we'll go ahead and change our flights to the day before. Just for peace of mind. :)

Thanks for the advice. I think we'll go ahead and change our flights to the day before. Just for peace of mind. :)

Very good idea. Less than three hours from plane touchdown to ship departure is very, very tight!

Even if nothing goes wrong but the airport is busy it's very possible you might fail to meet the 'must be at pier 90mins pre-departure' threshold - it can easily take an hour to get through immigration, customs, bag collection and then it's at least 30mins to the port.

If you don't get on here you don't get on period on many HAL cruises. No other Canadian ports, so it's illegal to fly you on to meet the ship for all the one-ways - only RT Vancouver routes allow you to meet the ship in a US port legally...