Southampton Check-in

I am travelling on the Navigator on the 21st of August and received an email from RC yesterday advising that check-in would be by deck and to arrive at around 2:15 for our deck. We were planning to check-in and board earlier (around midday), I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this and knew how strict they were at the port and made you stick to these timings. I don't recall ever having this previously.

Hi, I've never adhered to allocated times!! Just arrive around 12 ish, check-in and go to the Windjammer :o

Can't imagine they turn you away; would have thought they'd be keen to get everyone on board as soon as they can??

Dont worry about the RECOMMENDED checkin time. Southampton is a wonderful port and boarding couldn't be easier. People arrive at various times depending on mode of transportation and "kick out" times from hotels. Scratch this concern off the "what to worry about" list.

We cruise in September and have printed off our Guest Ticket Booklet which includes an Embarkation letter. As well as giving a list of decks and times, it does say if you are Suite, Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald or Platinum guests you can check in any time between 11am and 3.30pm. I don't remember having this letter previously we were given a time to board.

I am travelling on the Navigator on the 21st of August and received an email from RC yesterday advising that check-in would be by deck and to arrive at around 2:15 for our deck. We were planning to check-in and board earlier (around midday), I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this and knew how strict they were at the port and made you stick to these timings. I don't recall ever having this previously.

Out of interest what deck are you in to be asked to check in at 2:15?

Thanks for the quick responses. I wasn't overly worried as it's not my first time going from Southampton but didn't want any undue delays on the drive down from London! :D

I have a question for you. I'm driving down from Heathrow to Southampton for my trip in October.

I've been to Stonehenge and not really into Castles. I've also been to the New Forest.

What would you recommend I go touristing at on the way down.

Thanks all.

Raina

Australia

Check in is normally provided by the Port Aauthority.

They may have gone the way of P&O check in.

Each deck is colour coded and give a time of check in, on arrival you will get a card of the colour assigned to your deck. You are called forward in order of the cards. Expect some sitting around in the terminal if you arrive early.

According to the cruise doc for the staggered check-in time is due to works currently being carried out at the terminal.

The lower the deck the later assigned check-in time unless you are platinum and above then check-in at any time.

I have a question for you. I'm driving down from Heathrow to Southampton for my trip in October.

I've been to Stonehenge and not really into Castles. I've also been to the New Forest.

Thanks all.

Raina

Australia

How about Winchester? A lovely cathedral city. You can even see the statue of William Walker, the hard hat diver who placed hundreds of concrete filled sandbags in the early 1900's to underpin the cathedral walls. http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/our-heritage/famous-people/william-walker-the-diver-who-saved-the-cathedral/

Simon

Thanks all.

Raina

Australia

Windsor town is good for a walk around (there is a castle but there is more to see apart from this). Haven't been, but Portsmouth is supposed to be a good visit now. They have a relatively new viewing tower on the seafront plus a harbour etc. Also an outlet shopping centre if that's your thing!!

I'd choose Winchester as a nice stop off to Southampton and it is fairly close to the port so easier to work out timings.

Windsor on the way back to London.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks all.

Raina

Australia

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is only 20 Miles from Southampton, about 40mins to an hour from the Cruise Port (Depending On Traffic) and attractions include HMS Victory (Lord Nelsons Flag ship), HMS Warrior (the first Iron clad warship in the world) and Henry VIIIs Mary Rose. There are also lots of other attraction in the area and here are a couple of Links.http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/ and http://www.visitportsmouth.co.uk/.

Hope this helps

Salisbury Cathederal, maybe?

Southampton is quite a nice city to walk aorund / shop.

Winchester is very quaint.

Out of interest what deck are you in to be asked to check in at 2:15?

We actually have someone travelling in our party who is partially disabled and as it's her first cruise we wanted to board relatively early to get her settled when there are fewer passengers on board. I have contacted RC to get confirmation from them that we can.

We're deck 6.

For completeness, here's the info we received:

Royal Caribbean International would like to offer the following check-in times to better enhance the check-in and boarding experience. Check-in will take place between 11:00 AM and 3:30 PM. We encourage and recommend guests arrive at the following designated times to limit queues and wait times.

Deck 10 11:00 AM

Deck 9 11:30 AM

Deck 8 12:15 PM

Deck 7 1:15 PM

Deck 6 2:15 PM

Deck 2 & 3 3:15 PM

Suite, Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald and Platinum Guests can check-in and board anytime at their convenience between the hours of 11:00 AM and 3:30 PM. This also applies for any guests who have purchased Flights and/or Transfers through Royal Caribbean International. Gold Members are asked to refer to their assigned check-in time noted

above.

Thanks all.

Raina

Australia

I see others have already provided far more useful info than I ever could. I guess I'm a typical local, despite living in London I am not great at giving advice on these sorts of things! :):D:eek:

We actually have someone travelling in our party who is partially disabled and as it's her first cruise we wanted to board relatively early to get her settled when there are fewer passengers on board. I have contacted RC to get confirmation from them that we can.

We're deck 6.

For completeness, here's the info we received:

Royal Caribbean International would like to offer the following check-in times to better enhance the check-in and boarding experience. Check-in will take place between 11:00 AM and 3:30 PM. We encourage and recommend guests arrive at the following designated times to limit queues and wait times.

Deck 10 11:00 AM

Deck 9 11:30 AM

Deck 8 12:15 PM

Deck 7 1:15 PM

Deck 6 2:15 PM

Deck 2 & 3 3:15 PM

Suite, Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald and Platinum Guests can check-in and board anytime at their convenience between the hours of 11:00 AM and 3:30 PM. This also applies for any guests who have purchased Flights and/or Transfers through Royal Caribbean International. Gold Members are asked to refer to their assigned check-in time noted

above.

Slightly different to the wording for my Independence cruise on the following week.

8EDD0CFC-92E8-43F3-8B42-5B61E16E9616_zpsgx1n3lhw.jpeg

Thanks all.

Raina

Australia

Are you driving down the day of the cruise or do you have spare time to spend site seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Check in is normally provided by the Port Aauthority.

They may have gone the way of P&O check in.

Each deck is colour coded and give a time of check in, on arrival you will get a card of the colour assigned to your deck. You are called forward in order of the cards. Expect some sitting around in the terminal if you arrive early.

we had this on our 2013 adventure cruise. Our card was a golen yellow. they called for gold colour cards so we went over and gt the most patronising look ever and told "no, this is lemon yellow"