Upsell Timing Question

Stace894

Ok,,, a question for those who have done Upsells before. I called yesterday for an upsell for my 8/19 cruise. They didn't have anything available at that time but said call back 1 wk before. One week is actually this Friday, but in reading these threads it seems like most people call on Monday for a Friday sailing for availability. Any input or thoughts?

That's kind of what I figured. Can't hurt to call and its not like I will be upset if I don't get anything. Still get to go on a cruise in 10 days! Win-Win. Just would be nice to surprise my DH and DS with a nicer room when we arrive. But not like they will be disappointed as they don't know I'm trying to call. :D I will just start to check as of this Friday and see what happens.

Previous posters have said that the non-suite upsells start 3 days out.

I called 10 days out and upgraded 3 insides to mini suites for $300 each (150pp). Granted, this was for a January sailing and there were MANY rooms vacant.

I'll also throw in - one of the rooms was booked through a travel agent, and two of the rooms weren't even in my name. No problem upgrading all 3 - they'll take your CC # and charge for all.

After I win the Powerball, I'm going to call Upsell all day and randomly upgrade insides to haven. Then I'll sit back and wait for the "there goes the neighborhood" thread to start. Simple pleasures.

The sweet spot for Haven upgrades seems to be about 3-4 weeks out. I upgraded from Mini Suite to Haven Spa Suite at 24 days out. No experiences in upgrading to non Haven rooms though.

The sweet spot for Haven upgrades seems to be about 3-4 weeks out. I upgraded from Mini Suite to Haven Spa Suite at 24 days out. No experiences in upgrading to non Haven rooms though.

Can you give us the price for the Haven upsell?

I'm sailing on the Escape this weekend and originally had connecting balcony cabins. I started calling about a month before our cruise before any upsells were available and continued every couple of days until they opened up. I waited about a week after my first offer for the price to drop to where I was willing to pay, $1000 per person (for the first 2) for a 2 bedroom Haven suite. After I told my parents about the upsell, I was able to call back and upsell them from their balcony cabin to a Haven Spa Cabin for $500 per person.

Looking forward to our first Haven expierence.

...After I win the Powerball, I'm going to call Upsell all day and randomly upgrade insides to haven. Then I'll sit back and wait for the "there goes the neighborhood" thread to start. Simple pleasures.

I'll be looking forward to your review for THAT one--esp. all the pics. [emoji6]

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Can you give us the price for the Haven upsell?

I'm sure it depends on your sailing - how many Haven cabins still available, type of cabin you're booked in & availability of that category, etc. However I've generally heard, and my experience matches (for Epic, -aways, and Escape):

$1,500 pp to go to a 2 BR Haven Penthouse

$1,000 pp to go to an Aft or Forward Suite

$750 pp to go to a Penthouse or Spa Haven Suite

They may negotiate. On my May Escape sailing there were only 3 Aft suites available. I was booked in a BX. They were asking $1,000 pp to upgrade to Aft, I offered $750 pp, they took $850 pp.

I'm sailing over New Years Eve. I imagine these upsell prices will be quite a bit higher given what they're asking for a Haven Penthouse ($7,500 pp!!!! 15 of 'em left, lol).

Anyone have experience upgrading from standard balcony to aft balcony or aft mini-suite? How much did you pay?

If there's availability on your sailing, and the category you're after experienced a price drop since you booked it, you may be better off calling your PCC or TA and see about upgrading.

From my experience, Upsell wants to make $$, and every change they make has that as a goal. I actually used Upsell to move a 4th room from Balcony to Minisuite, and they charged me the same amount (300) as the 3 insides I moved. The rep was upfront about it - saying they wanted $300 for that category, regardless of where you were moving from. If you're only 1 or 2 categories down from where you're trying to be, this may not make financial sense. As always - I have no idea if my experience was the norm.

Anyone have experience upgrading from standard balcony to aft balcony or aft mini-suite? How much did you pay?

Upgrading and upselling are two different things.

Upgrading means you pay retail price - so look at the price of the aft balcony/minisuite, subtract what you paid, and that will be the difference. The price to upgrade will be different on each sailing and depending on the category room (BX is cheaper than BA, so the upgrade from BX to an aft Balcony would be more expensive than to go from a BA to aft).

Upsell means Norwegian offers you a lower price to move you into a higher category to generate additional revenue. They seem to focus more on getting people into The Haven, but I've heard upsells may become available in the last 2-7 days for these types of options. I've never seen anyone post about doing this specific type of upgrade, so I would have no idea. However the upsell price to go from Balcony to The Haven seems to be ABOUT 50% of the retail difference, so if its $4,000 retail price difference between Balcony and Haven, it will be about $2,000 to upsell. That may be a good estimate for your balcony to aft balcony.

After I win the Powerball, I'm going to call Upsell all day and randomly upgrade insides to haven. Then I'll sit back and wait for the "there goes the neighborhood" thread to start. Simple pleasures.

Reading that, all I could think about was this:

[YOUTUBE]UvVC0XLDfiE[/YOUTUBE]

Oh lord. XD

So I'll be on topic, though... I've got my fingers crossed for either an upgrade or an upsell into a balcony for my upcoming Getaway cruise. I'd love to surprise my sister with one! ...and okay, I would really like one, too. haha

Edited by dreamr

We are on the breakaway in the haven, my son and daughter in law and two kids had a mini suit gtx, they upsell to s haven penthouse for $500 each. They did it two weeks before sailing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called 10 days out and upgraded 3 insides to mini suites for $300 each (150pp). Granted, this was for a January sailing and there were MANY rooms vacant.

I'll also throw in - one of the rooms was booked through a travel agent, and two of the rooms weren't even in my name. No problem upgrading all 3 - they'll take your CC # and charge for all.

**i hope I'm on the ship you decide to upgrade! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by tje4481

I really don't want to spend the type of money it would take to upgrade into a Haven suite. Would be very happy with even just a balcony so that DS doesn't have to sleep above me on the wall bed. A mini-suite would be fantastic just for the extra leg-room in the bathroom. DH is a big guy and was a tough fit in an Oceanview last trip. Will call on Friday and see what happens and just keep trying until Wed. Good luck to all my other Upselling friends! 8 days and counting!

I really don't want to spend the type of money it would take to upgrade into a Haven suite. Would be very happy with even just a balcony so that DS doesn't have to sleep above me on the wall bed. A mini-suite would be fantastic just for the extra leg-room in the bathroom. DH is a big guy and was a tough fit in an Oceanview last trip. Will call on Friday and see what happens and just keep trying until Wed. Good luck to all my other Upselling friends! 8 days and counting!

Good luck on your Friday call! Please let us know how it works out for you.

(And for Dougout....you deserve that winning Powerball ticket. Can't wait to hear about the cruising party you will throw:cool:)

We are thinking about trying for an upsell on our November cruise on the Getaway. Is there a specific phone number I need to call or do I call the reservation number? Do I ask for a specific dept or just speak with a reservation person? Thanks.

I called upsell# 1 month out on my last cruise May 2016 was able to go from balcony to haven for additional 750pp. And this was a comped cruise through CAS. Will try again on my upcoming Nov. Cruise if there are any available.