NCL stock down on mixed earnings results.

ColinIllinois

On my last cruise, I was told there was going to be a 30 minute wait for O'Sheenans for dinner and half the tables were empty. Wot???

I saw this a few times on the Gem and asked about it. I was told it is because there are not enough waiters. If they seat people and the wait is way too long they get angry. Better to only seat to the staffing level.

There's no availability because service has SLOWED dramatically over the last year. You used to be able to get in and out of a dining room in an hour if you wanted. Not anymore. I can't say for sure why, but I suspect NCL cut back on staff. The reason I'm guessing that is because the staff that's working there seems to be working really hard to please. Therefore, there must not be enough of them.

I noticed this as well. Restaurants would be empty when there was supposed to be no reservations and slow slow slow. They've definitely cut back on staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is having to make reservations not Freestyle. Freestyle started with dining' date=' you can eat where you want, when you want and with whom you want, instead of sitting at a designated table at a certain time and with the same people. Many don't have an issue making reservations and if one doesn't want to make reservations they can just show up and wait in line if the venue is busy. But to say they aren't Freestyle anymore is not correct. You keep saying things like them adding things most don't like, I'd have to disagree, it might be some don't like but not most.[/quote']

I mostly agree with you, but NCL is no longer promoting the term "Freestyle", according to none other than Andy Stuart:

From: https://skift.com/2016/06/07/why-norwegian-cruise-line-is-spending-400-million-to-update-old-ships/

Skift: Norwegian recently changed its branding from Freestyle Cruising to Feel Free. What was the impetus behind changing that branding and what do you hope to accomplish from it?

Stuart: The challenge of freestyle cruising was that we always had to explain it. When we said, “We offer you freestyle cruising,” people would sort of look quizzically at you. If they cruised with you, they probably got it.

For some people, though, it was a swimming event at the Olympics. It had different meanings for different people and almost invariably [we eventually had to communicate exactly what it was]. That’s a challenge when you have a very short window to communicate to people.

We felt there was an opportunity to come up with something that told essence of the story in two words without having to move onto another explanation, and everybody felt “Feel Free” achieved that because it’s emotional. You say that, and we use it in everyday language. How often a day do you say, “Hey man, whatever you want. Feel Free.”

We can now agree that NCL is no longer "Freestyle" but tells people to "feel free" because feelings are more important than reality.

I mostly agree with you, but NCL is no longer promoting the term "Freestyle", according to none other than Andy Stuart:

From: https://skift.com/2016/06/07/why-norwegian-cruise-line-is-spending-400-million-to-update-old-ships/

We can now agree that NCL is no longer "Freestyle" but tells people to "feel free" because feelings are more important than reality.

I "feel" like my credit card has been violated when I have to pay them big city prices for drinks and food, essentially making the ship a floating hotel, a really expensive hotel

Lots of people think its going up, lots think its going down. That's how the market works. I am not going to value his opinion any more than anyone else who works at the company because if he had a negative outlook on what he is doing, he'd be tanking his job and company. It doesn't mean he is right, it means he THINKS he is right. As of now, the stock price does not say he is right and that is what matters

NCLH - Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ)

35.61 -1.44 (3.89%)

Sep 2, 4:00 PM EDT - Disclaimer

35.60 -0.01 (0.03%) After hours

Open: 36.27

High: 36.91

Low: 35.36

Volume: 3,946,646

Avg Vol: 2,646,062

Mkt Cap: 8.35B

NCLH : Summary for Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings - Yahoo ...

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NCLH?p=NCLH‎CachedNorwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH) President & CEO Rio Frank J Del Bought $3 million ... President & CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ:NCLH) Rio Frank J Del bought 83,498 shares of NCLH on 08/31/2016 at an average price of $35.94 a share.

Del Rio's transaction sends a mixed message to investors.

Edited by swedish weave

might be tied to Fed comments and the chances of a interest rate increase.

Maybe you know this, but does a rise in interest rates affect the kinds of loans that a company like NCL will have on their debt? Personally, I don't care what happens with mortgage rates as mine is fixed, but if I had an adjustable mortgage I would be very concerned about it. Do you think higher interest rates will hurt NCL with their large debt burden?

Maybe you know this, but does a rise in interest rates affect the kinds of loans that a company like NCL will have on their debt? Personally, I don't care what happens with mortgage rates as mine is fixed, but if I had an adjustable mortgage I would be very concerned about it. Do you think higher interest rates will hurt NCL with their large debt burden?

Would probably not impact existing but would impact lines of credit and future loans. Rcl and Ncl both will need such as they continue their building programs

Would probably not impact existing but would impact lines of credit and future loans. Rcl and Ncl both will need such as they continue their building programs

One interesting factor is the method NCLH is using regarding the ownership of the new builds. They are forming a corporation for each of the new builds. Maybe the logic is to prevent massive losses to NCLH if one ship fails.

I don't know enough about this to analyze the reasons, but it poses some questions.

Edited by swedish weave

One interesting factor is the method NCLH is using regarding the ownership of the new builds. They are forming a corporation for each of the new builds. Maybe the logic is to prevent massive losses to NCLH if one ship fails.

I don't know enough about this to analyze the reasons, but it poses some questions.

That would not make much difference since all of the individual corporations would be held by the same holding company. It might be something like ccl did by creating a new company for their Asian operations. Ccl creates companies for different home port countries or regions, but not for ships. Will need to see if this has been discussed in any analysts reports. Might be related to debt financing. Might prevent a debt holder from being able to place a lien against any company assets except the specific ship the loans were against.

Currently in airport on way to London so not able to do any research on it for a day or two.

Edited by RDC1

When the changes started to pile up, I stopped cruising on NCL. You just don't know if you are going to get the same product you book anymore. Instead, I have done land vacations. I booked an RCI cruise for 2017.

The recent stack decline has a lot to do with revenue not meeting expectations. I hope that the stock holders demand change to make NCL attractive again. I would love to cruise the 2014 NCL again.

Here is an article regarding its downgrade to Sell.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-norwegian-cruise-line-nclh-123712034.html

Edited by Jane Don

When the changes started to pile up, I stopped cruising on NCL. You just don't know if you are going to get the same product you book anymore. Instead, I have done land vacations. I booked an RCI cruise for 2017.

The recent stack decline has a lot to do with revenue not meeting expectations. I hope that the stock holders demand change to make NCL attractive again. I would love to cruise the 2014 NCL again.

Here is an article regarding its downgrade to Sell.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-norwegian-cruise-line-nclh-123712034.html

If we're dreaming, I want to sail the 2009-2010 NCL again

Are there restrictions on posting factual information ??

BTW -- What is the big picture in your opinion ?

The big picture in my opinion is year over year growth and revenues, not a daily basis mini-snapshot. All the recent changes instituted by NCLH will not be reflected on a daily stock chart.