Driving to key west

aawheat

From FLL to KW is 4+ hours - longer if there is a traffic issue. Unless you want to devote several days (travel, tour, return) I would suggest not going all the way to KW - Key Largo is a better alternative for a day trip with some good dining options, state park, plus great snorkeling.

If you really want to do a day trip to Key West, do this.

Leave Fort Laud. around 5AM, take the Florida Turnpike all the way to US 1.

You will hit the keys just after sunrise, and miss most of the traffic.

Its about 100 miles from Florida City to key west.

This is where it gets really slow, some speed limits are as low as 35mph

through the Key Deer area.

You should arrive in Key West around 9 without too many stops.

Entering Key West there should be an IHOP or a Dennys for breakfast.

Leaving any later will involve you in the weekend traffic on the overseas highway, or rush hour in the Miami area.

This will give you a full day to explore the tiny island.

Park and walk until the sunset freak show at Mallory Square Pier.

Is it doable, yes. However, it will be a very long day. I'm with John on this one, Key Largo is a much closer spot.

You will spend 9 hours driving and that's without there being any traffic or issues on the roadways. You will also have to time it properly so you don't hit rush hour anywhere.

The drive is only pretty in some areas, like the 7 Mile bridge. Other areas you are going through towns and there isn't much to see.

I just did this drive again 3 weeks ago from Brickell midweek and for some reason it took us forever to get there. Traffic, moving trucks etc. And I timed it properly.

Key West is fun, but it spending one of your vacation days getting up extremely early in the morning and driving for a good portion of it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

Count me in as a third saying it is a grueling day trip.

I'd also skip going all the way to Key West and head to John Pennekamp and maybe to the Seven Mile Bridge.

The absolute BEST case is that it will be a nine hour round trip drive.

One accident can turn it into a nightmare. If there is a fatal accident anywhere, they have to bring the Monroe County Coroner and will shut down US 1 completely in both directions for six hours.

Like usual, I agree with the experts on here. Driving from FLL to KW back to FLL is actually a crazy thing to try and do in one day. No time to actually stop and enjoy everything. No way do I want to spend 9 hours in a car driving while in South Florida! :)

Agree with the others as well. We did drive from FLL to KW for a couple days prior to a cruise. Best weather for the drive, sunny, blue skies and mid 70's (in January). We rented a convertible, what a trip.

Funny story about the convertible, we rented ahead of time over the internet. It didn't specify what kind of convertible, just a convertible.

We get to the lot and there is a brand new, bright yellow Camaro sitting there. I said to my wife, wow, hope we get that one. Sure enough we did!

We're driving down the freeway with the top down and I tell my wife we look like we're in a ****** commercial (we're in our 50's)!!

A great trip, hopefully you get to do this, is was a great couple days.