Suggestions for May

karatemom2

We have cruised to Alaska many times, but never in May. We typically go later in the season July/August. But I am very excited about seeing Alaska in May and enjoying some different scenery and activities for our May 18-28 cruise next year.

So I'm hoping to get some suggestion. My DH usually likes to fish, but I imagine the fishing will be hard to come by that early - maybe King Salmon? We like to hike and I heard there might still be the possibility of snow shoeing? Also, will we be able to see whales and bears and if so, what is our best place for that. I am open to hearing all the different types of things those of you who have traveled in May have enjoyed.

Thanks!! :)

Some say May is drier but (based on Juneau) it is about a draw with August.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/clilcd.pl?ak25309

Biggest difference is August is about 7-8 degrees warmer (less cold?) than May. More chance of 70° days in August. Fog/cloudiness/precip are pretty close. I know it is a little different farther north but using Seattle as an analog May tends to be less frequent rains that are heavier and less long lived and more so in the afternoon. Marine layers in the morning that burn off and allow sunshine and heating that brews up instability showers in the afternoon. August has prevailing North wind which is sort of off-shore which can keep things less cloudy - sometimes.

One nice thing about May is snow pack on lower mountains still exists and feeds waterfalls.

For fishing the following has a nice chart of runs:

Alaska Salmon Runs Might catch the beginning of the Kings. Halibut might be an option.

Humpback whales are later but Gray whales should be around. Killer whales (Orca) are most commonly seen in May-June so the resident pods should be around but hard telling where at a given time.

The end of May is a wonderful time to cruise Alaska. There is typically less rain in May/June than other cruising months. The snow is still on the mountain tops which can make for some wonderful photos.

The first King Salmon was pulled from Ship Creek in Anchorage about May 15 this year, about a week later last year. Don’t know if you’re even going to be in Anchorage so will leave it at that. Haven’t heard of any snow shoeing excursions. You’ll find no snow at the lower elevations the end of May.

There are many humpback whales that winter in Alaska although most return by the end of May. We’ve seen many in May out of Icy Strait Point and Juneau. A good spot for bears is Denali although, until June 1, the park road isn’t open very far. There are black bear sightings in Juneau in May along the road to the Shrine of St Therese although it’s hit or miss if you’d actually see any. They eat the dandelions along the side of the road. We saw two second year cubs along the road this year.

Since you like to hike you would probably enjoy glacier trekking. Just need to know where you’ll be. If stopping in Anchorage, Matanuska Glacier is the most easily accessible and inexpensive.

My research also shows less rain (dryer weather) at the end of May. Love going in May. Love the temps also as it is already really hot back home.

Never had problems seeing humpbacks and orcas during that time period.

Snow on the mountains is beautiful.

I have never met anyone who has successfully fished in May in Ketchikan.

I went on the May 5-15 NCL Pearl cruise to Alaska this year. The weather was SPECTACULAR for eight of the ten days - the day we stopped in Juneau it was rainy right downtown but when we drove out to the airport and Mendenhall it was just overcast. There was snow on the mountain tops but in town everywhere there wasn't. The train ride from Frasier to Skagway was nice because of all the snow and frozen lakes in the first half. I think there was just enough snow everywhere on the cruise to make things nice looking without interfering with any of our activities. The temps during the day was probably averaging 60-something and 40-something at night - though our day at Ketchikan it seemed to be nearing 80 degrees. After such a great experience (my first cruise and first time to Alaska) I'm thinking May is the only time I'd want to go - few other tourists, schools aren't out yet and most of our stops we were either the first or one of the first ships of the year so the locals weren't worn out yet.

Good luck!