It's Official - Cozumel to Re-open Nov. 14th!

azuregazr

Hello everyone,

I am booked on a Celebrity cruise that would land us in Cozumel on November 30. I also booked a dolphin encounter at Chankaanab Park through my cruise line for my family. As of this afternoon, Celebrity is still offering this excursion for 11/30. I don't understand if Chakaanab was totally destroyed, why is Celebrity still selling this excursion. I can't seem to get an answer from Celebrity at this time. Does anyone think it will be up and running by then.

Erin

doubtful! But, I'm sure they will take your money anyway if you are willing to give it! Probably give you an onboard credit, or credit another excursion that you may or may not want to do! I certainly would not book any excursions ahead of time in Cozumel for quite a while!

Sounds like your TA doesn't stay informed, lol..I am up north and also am a TA, but I do worry about my clients so I try to stay informed.

Hope the info helps!

Barb

Here's part of the email my TA sent me in response to sending her the link you gave me. I'm not all that concerned about which ports we go to. Since this is my first cruise, they will all be great to see - at least once.

Hi Sue,

Thanks for sending. Some of the ships are going to Cozumel now with supplies. They are tendering and delivering supplies only. The docks are very damaged, some gone altogether. Royal Caribbean is going to use an alternate port until the end of 2005. They will let me know about our cruise at some point and I will let you know as soon as I hear.

I didn't think it would be open either. I had booked this excursion quite a while ago, as a dolphin encounter at Chakaanab was one of the reasons that we booked this cruise. My 7 year old son is quite disappointed as he was looking forward to his dolphin encounter. I was hopeful that Chankaanab would be open since Celebrity is still offering it as an excursion. One would think that if it isn't going to be open, the cruise lines would reflect that on their websites and not offer it. I certainly don't know what other excursions will be open on 11/30 and I would expect for Celebrity to refund my money instead of offering an onboard credit.

Erin :)

I received this from a colleague and thought it was a beautifully written piece.

Cozumel and it's battle with Hurricane Wilma Update

...and they moved forward with courage as strong as the ancient Mayan!

The island of Cozumel, as well as the many surrounding areas that Hurricane Wilma hit is still reeling. The old Cozumel that we know will never be the same. Cozumel will return, and I'm sure it will be with a new sunny image. I was on the island during Hurricane Gilbert, Keith and Roxanne. I will never forget them. The best and the worst of everyone comes out. The experience brings a sense of unity to all and this provides a strong positive resource for the community. Even those of us who have homes, friends and family on the island, but were in other places on this earth felt the "injury" as Hurricane Wilma sat on top of the Yucatan. We all watched it on the internet and the television as we imagined the winds and waves and our loved ones. We too, were part of the united spirit that is needed to rebuild the island.

Dan rode the storm out with our three dogs (Buggy, Black Beauty and Popee) in Villa Caribe. We lost a window and part of the 9 foot tall wall that surrounds our downtown property. Other than that, and the mess the storm created, he was fine. He couldn't believe that the hurricane pounded on them so such a long time! I think he and everyone on the island found the confinement for such a long time the most challenging thing during the storm. The constant noise was unforgetable.

Our beach homes at Villas Mar y Sol suffered very little structural damage but have tons of seaweed inside and outside. The area and surrounding shoreline is still flooded in places and the utilities are not on yet. Clean up will be difficult but that is the main thing needed to get these homes back in shape. There were a few windows lost upstairs and all the windows downstairs but all contents are ok (we think).

The PDS II suffered and will take hard work and a lot of money to repair. We are hoping to be ready for guests by December. The completion date depends on the island's ability to get utilities and supplies as well as workers. We will have a better idea of the completion date after the electricity is restored.

The other homes we manage suffered minimal cosmetic damage. Most of them will just require a good cleaning and a few minor improvements.

To find details of the island’s damage and progress, go to www.Aldora.com. The writer goes into the detailed news of the progress on the island and offers his opinions too.

To see many photographs, go to www.eczm.com. He has an internet service on the island and had a generator prior the hurricane so has been able to send constant new photos.

Remember that photos will always be "worst case scenarios" and it doesn't look like that everywhere you look. People want to see the impacting images so that is what photographers show. Not all Cozumel has construction damage. But some construction was so badly damaged that they will just tear it down and start over. We can get news of updates as the means of communications from the island increase.

Many past visitors, friends and family have called or emailed asking what they can do. Daily, the needs of the people we know change, as progress of the recovery moves forward. The first couple days, they were all worried about food and water. That immediate need is being addressed as ferries, cruise ships and airplanes arrive filled with goods. The electricity is returning around different areas. Fortunately, there are some powerful people whose families live on the island and own homes and businesses here. They will be a constant push to convince the city to restore electricity quickly. The telephone system is intact throughout many areas of the downtown and beachfront areas! Some worked on Sunday! This is amazing news I think! The electricity has been on in Chedraui since Wednesday evening and they are open for business. They have maintained order since just after the hurricane by the military presence and only had looting for a few hours after the hurricane. There were diamonds and gems floating down the river created by flood waters along the Melgar Avenue! This caused some excitement to a few people.

The area around the connecting grids from Chedraui is restoring electricity as we speak. Material is being brought in by cruise ships and then taking back Americans that need to return to the states. The island is on the rebound and people are working hard.

The work already completed is a reflection of the wonderful people of Cozumel. Cozumel Vacation Homes past and future guests, friends, and family have emailed with many well wishes that we appreciate very much. Thank you for all your prayers.

Many people want to know what they can do to help. I think the absolute best way to do so is to plan a trip here and make it soon and frequent.

Your presence is what these people have to look forward to. They will get the island ready for you. They know how to work hard to make things pretty again. They are hospitible, friendly people and need your presence. I am sure that you will enjoy Cozumel and the people. Things will eventually be better than before. Cosmetically, you will see some lingering damage, and you may not be able to do everything that you did before. Restaurants won't be the same, but there will be many new ones spring up too. Some beachfront hotels may never open again. But there are many beaches, lots of sunshine and eventually, there will be lush tall gardens, flowers and beautiful structures again. In the meantime, go down to enjoy the people, and support their island. It will be a great experience for you. You can feel very good about helping the people restore their lives, and become a part of creating the new Cozumel.

Sincerely,

Veronica Withington

Cozumel will be back and better than ever. Thanks Veronica for a great letter.

Andrew at Cozumel Cruise Excursions

Sue (benjidog), did your TA tell you which port would be subbed for Cozumel by Royal Caribbean?

She did when I talked to her on the phone. It wasn't one I was familiar with, but maybe it was something like Costa Maya. I think it was farther south on that coast of Mexico. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out which one she was talking about.

The city is inviting all local businessmen to help in the claen-up of the cental tourist community in Cozumel.

With the call of the government authorities of the three levels they have established as time limit November 14 to have the center of the city completely clean and in perfect state to receive the first cruisers, the City Hall makes this call to owners of restaurants and commerce so that they support this time frame by the cleaning of the fronts of their business.

*Anybody taking these and any other Cozumel cruises soon, we thank you for that support.

..... I'm not all that concerned about which ports we go to. Since this is my first cruise, they will all be great to see - at least once.
You definitely have the right attitude. Stopping at Cozumel or not, you'll have a good time on your cruise.

i personally would love to go to cozumelon our thanksgiving cruise even if not 100 percent ready.

But the funny thing is all those people complaining about missing the port will still complain that they should not have been taken there because it is not 100 percent ready.

The cruise lines are in a lose lose situation in regards to cozumel this year

I recieved an email from my CarnivalGolf rep.

We are to sail Jan 7 to Cozumel and GC. She said that it is very unlikely that we golf in Cozumel and to expect to stop in Costa Maya.

We have excursions booked through her and the Cozumel Golf does not look like it is going to happen.

Now this is the only thing I have heard from anyone in regards to my upcoming vacation.

I am hoping that she is wrong and we will be pleasantly surprised when we dock in Cozumel. It is better than being told for sure we will be stopping there and then missing it.

I think pieshops made an important point - that people will complain if they are brought back to Cozumel before it is ready. I heard that happened in the Caymans...

I don't think it will happen here in Cozumel though - we are acutely aware that we need to provide the same high standard of service and amenities as always... and the people are working extremely hard towards that goal.

I'm not going to pretend you won't see a broken roof or damaged tree here and there, of course you will. But for people that want to visit Cozumel to shop, eat, drink, snorkel, dive, relax on a beach etc, there will be plenty available to them.

I've got a website up and running now which has some pics of the RECOVERY as well as the damage... www.yourcontactintheamericas.com/wilma

Hope you make it here on your Thanksgiving cruise! I think once a few ships come and realise Cozumel is genuinely ready then others will follow too - Bellera - I hope your cruise makes it here too despite what you've heard... we've got plenty of time to convince Carnival still...!:)

Ian

Well, I've read all of the previous posts and thought I'd add my 2 cents . . . although I'm not sure its worth even that much. lol

Personally, I would still like to visit Cozumel even if it is still not 100% by the time I arrive. While I'm not willing to go as far as some have suggested, i.e. grabbing a hammer and helping out, but I would still be willing to tender ashore (I've tendered before, its not nearly as bad as some make it seem) and do my part by spending some money to help the local economy. Even if a percentage of cruise visitors just came ashore, had lunch (with a few drinks of course) I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by the people of Cozumel. Ultimately, I think it would do your heart good in that you were helping out in a small way, especiall if you've enjoyed Cozumel in the past and plan on ejoying it in the future.

As for those repulsed by the thought of Cozumel not being in pristine condition . . . you could always enjoy a day on the boat enjoying the pool and entertainment on board. As for me, no matter what condition Cozumel is in when I arrive, it has to be better than Buffalo in December! LOL

Just my two cents . . .

Archived