It's Official - Cozumel to Re-open Nov. 14th!

azuregazr

Here's my 2 cents--Buffcruisers--We will be there end of Janury. If everybody who visits Cozumel on a cruiseship would grab a hammer and nails, then maybe you would all be able to build a new pier by the time we get there. That way we won't have to tender! LOL

Diane

I have to admit that I did not read every single post on this thread, but I did notice a recurring theme of people complaining about the possibility of having to ride a tender into Cozumel. Why is this an issue? I was on a tender off of the coast of Punta del Este, Argentina when I was six months pregnant. No problems. The staff (Crystal Symphony) recommended that I not ride the tender first thing in the morning, because the waves were a bit rough. However, after a few hours, I was able to ride out to see the town and tour a museum. I would happily tender again, especially now that I am NOT pregnant.

I do not see tendering as a problem either. Our cruise and many for that matter stops in Grand Cayman as well as Cozumel and you tender in Grand Cayman!

I am sure it is going to be a little bit our a pain with our golf clubs, but hey when I get on the island and on the first tee I am not going to be thinking about how I got there!

So please, please please - be open for tourist in January!

I hoped that we would be golfing, and as of yet I have not heard any word on the golf course or its condition. The one hotel on the course is closed until Jan 10 while the other one is only closed until Nov 14. So I have no idea.

Also, I did not see any golf course in the pictures you referred to us. Yes, the island looks bad in spots but I have read that the downtown area is not as bad as the waterfront and that they only show the worst of the worst.

Like any of this matters anyway, there is nothing we can do. If our ship stops there in January - great, I will be ready to spend a lot of money while we are there and if not we will have another port of call added to our itinerary.

Either way I am out of the snow and cold.

Check out these photos and decide for yourself if you think there are any golf courses functioning!

http://eczm.com/wilma/Saturday1w/index.htm

I've already seen these photos and not one of them shows the one and only golf course. I can see where a person might draw the conclusion that it is damaged, but for you to say for certain that the golf course is "gone" is just an assumption, and probably not completely accurate.

Hi all

I'm not sure of the status of the golf course - I'll try to pass by today or tomorrow to find out.

The pier that sustained most damage - Puerta Maya - is owned by Carnival I understand, so one would imagine funds/insurance will be available for a quick reconstruction. In the mean time, tenders will most likely be used.

The pictures on the ECZM site are great, but bear in mind they focus on the damage, not reconstruction and the most recent ones are already a week old. I'm pleased to report that a LOT has changed since then!! :)

I'm updating pictures on my site daily if you want to see how we're doing www.yourcontactintheamericas.com/wilma, I've also attached a picture of the seafront taken yesterday...

Best wishes

Ian in Cozumel

cruisecritic.jpg.23ea0df8b14446c31b5a3d18b505b970.jpg

bruce-r...think you are confusing me with another poster. I never said the golf course was gone. I realize the pitcures are not of the golf course, but, based upon the amount of damage present in the pics, pretty safe to assume the golf course is not "functioning" at present.

bruce-r...think you are confusing me with another poster. I never said the golf course was gone. I realize the pitcures are not of the golf course, but, based upon the amount of damage present in the pics, pretty safe to assume the golf course is not "functioning" at present.
You are correct and I apologize. I meant to quote MooNGaTe27 who posted :
I hear the golf courses on tje island are gone,just like all the beaches........

I also agree with your assessment of the operational condition of the golf course at the present time, but I'm pretty sure that it is still there. It isn't right on the shore line were the worst of the damage happened.

Hi all

I'm not sure of the status of the golf course - I'll try to pass by today or tomorrow to find out.

The pier that sustained most damage - Puerta Maya - is owned by Carnival I understand, so one would imagine funds/insurance will be available for a quick reconstruction. In the mean time, tenders will most likely be used.

The pictures on the ECZM site are great, but bear in mind they focus on the damage, not reconstruction and the most recent ones are already a week old. I'm pleased to report that a LOT has changed since then!! :)

I'm updating pictures on my site daily if you want to see how we're doing www.yourcontactintheamericas.com/wilma, I've also attached a picture of the seafront taken yesterday...

Best wishes

Ian in Cozumel

Thanks for the links to CHEN RIO... I was VERY curious as to how they came through (they DIDN'T !)

Tom

Hi all

Best wishes

Ian in Cozumel

Quick I guess is relative. That pier was totaled. Rebuilding it is going to take months. Building a pier takes time. I remember when they built the pier at St. Maartin. I took a couple of cruises that stopped there during the construction and saw it in different states. It took months. Tenders can be used, on my first cruise that stopped at Cozumel years ago we tendered and ships have continued to tender when the docks were full. That said, tendering means fewer ships will be able to stop at Cozumel for a while.

Just read on the Cozumel government website that updates all the progress that the golf course is going to open with 9 holes on December 1

YEAH! We can golf and then shop in January if we go there.

Please, please - Inspiration go to Cozumel in January.

That's great news Bellera!

I'll go by the course today and see if I can get some photos...

I've updated photos and news on my website this morning: http://www.yourcontactintheamericas.com/wilma/

Some good news...!

- 30 per cent of downtown businesses already reported open.

- Plenty of diamond and jewlellery tours will also be open by 14 November.

- Normality returns to most gasoline, electric and water services.

I've attached a couple of pictures of Carlos'n'Charlies/Sr Frogs downtown for those that were asking about the bar and restaurant. It looks messy on the outside, but the damage is actually not that serious - it's more to signs and awnings but not the structure. The inside doesn't look bad at all, just needs some tidying up. The staff there were hopeful it would be open by 14 November.

Also, Paradise Beach wasn't as bad as I originally thought - they'll re-open on 14 November too.

Charles4515 - yes, quick was relative I guess too :) I agree it will take many months to get the piers back to normal, I just hope the funds are swiftly forthcoming. Tenders will be used in the meantime and I think it would be wise to have fewer ships in the island to begin with anyhow. Some tours - like Fury catamarans - will be able to pick up directly from ships too.

Let me know if I can help with any other questions!

Ian

cnc1.jpg.2d5d59626f5e6b668959101ced77be0e.jpg

cnc2.jpg.ef2dc4ca856ffb434da13606559ae6c2.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for posting the info and pictures.

I was sorry to see the place (forgot the name) with the Dos Equis Sign blown over. I remember having a great time there a few years ago shopping and enjoying a few cervezas.

We have a great photo in front of our VW with one of those touristy sombrero grandes.

We are scheduled to be there in a couple of weeks (at least as of this writing)

We have a jeep reserved with Avis - assuming they are still there ?

It is my understanding that the circle island road has been washed out - I was wondering - would you recommend heading east and then south - or r would I be better off heading south out of San Miguel.

Originally we had hoped to do some snorkeling off of the beach south of town, then head over to Coconuts, the dos Equis place and perhaps the Reggae Bar Area. - With the road damaged I need to come up with a new game plan.

Thanks,

Hi Seabum

I think it's still to early to say, at the moment the road on the whole of the Eastern road is still closed unless you have good reason to go there.

As things are today, you could head south to a beach club like Paradise Beach, then work your way back visiting a couple of snorkelling spots - in a couple of weeks you could still find all sorts of underwater treasure!

Then if the road is open you could go through town and across to the Other Side - Coconuts looks like it could re-open quite soon, so that would be a good place to make your last stop...

Keep looking here or on my website though and I'll let you know as soon as there is news on the road. I think your Avis rental will be fine, I haven't heard of any car rental companies losing vehicles - see if you can check with your booking agent though. If Avis don't have cars for any reason there are plenty of other good companies that will...

Ian

Thanks, Ian, for all the wonderful pictures. It's so great to see Coz rebuilding so quicly. We're ready to head there and spend our $$!!

Can you tell us if Playa Mia suffered any extensive damage? Will they be opening 11/14 along with other businesses?

Paradise Beach and Playa Mia will both be open for 14 November - I haven't seen the damage at Playa Mia I'm afraid, nor Mr Sanchos.

Now it's still a little early I think, but next week I'll do a report on which beach clubs are open on my site www.wilmacozumel.com (it has an easier to remeber address now and you can register for email updates).

People were asking about the golf course before - I went by yesterday and it looks pretty good! I've added a story about the Country Club with photos of the course to my site today too...

All the best

Ian

Archived