It's Official - Cozumel to Re-open Nov. 14th!

azuregazr

ComeToCozumel.com is now running and has official government updates, including cruise ship information.

"The Mayor of Cozumel Gustavo Ortega met this morning with the cruise line representatives of Royal Caribbean, Carnival Cruise Lines and the owners of stores on the main front and tour operators of Cozumel. After listening to the reports on the status of the island, tour operators and store owners made a commitment to the cruise lines and set up a date to start receiving Cruise Ship passengers starting on NOVEMBER 14 2005."

More details here:

http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma.asp

I am glad they are working dilligently to make this happens---I trully hope they are successful, but I can''t help but wonder if Cozumel will be a "desireable" port stop at that time as far as cruise passengers are concerned. Don't get me wrong, I really hope they make a a lot of progress and have things up and running, but with the pictures I have seen, and the reports I have read, I just wonder if the port will be ready for tourists---not just capable of accepting them.

I just dont see how that will be possible... I know how hard they will work, but it is destroyed!!! I have looked at pictures, and just cant believe it!! Dont get me wrong, Cozumel is my FAVORITE place, but I dont want to go in somewhere halfway done... I want to go to Playa Sol, or Paradise Beach and have things to do. I want to shop in lots of stores... I want to give them a lot of my money!! :) But, I just dont think it will be ready...

I, for one, will be happy to disembark my ship, head to town and lend a hand wherever it's needed. I think this could be great for Cozumel, and it would allow those of us who have enjoyed her beauty in the past to help rebuild her.

Oh I totally believe it....just got this from Island Marketing for an excursion we are doing in Belize but they service Coz too.

On the last Valor change we reconfirmed well over 20,000 passengers, we will

now gage all available info and revise only passengers arriving within the

next 4 weeks as when Coz reopens the Valor itinerary will change once again.

Cozumel should be open for business within the next 4 to 6 weeks, much is

currently being done by the Mexican Government to get Coz back on it's feet,

I have never seen so many helicopters in my life, the area between Playa del

Carmen and Cozumel looks like a scene from Apocalypse Now! (without the

smell of napalm :)

Oh how I hope and pray it's true! I do believe that with man this would be impossible but with God all things are possible! One of the primary reasons we booked the Western Caribbean was for the visit to Cozumel. I can see it happening.

I just received an email from Adrian in Cozumel and he is doing fine. He wanted everyone to know they are fine and hope to see the tourist come back ASAP.

He is the greatest when it come to a personal guide in Coz. He is well worth the day to spend with. He is so knowledgable about the island and such a nice person to have as a guide. I think my wife wanted to take him home.

He knows everyone there it seems. His Dad's restaurant, Cafe Denis, is a great place to eat. Excellent food!!! Adrian also has a restaurant called Especias, but it was only open after 5 pm so we didn't get a chance to eat there. But, if it is like his dad's, I'm sure it would be great.

His email address is especiascozumel@hotmail.com

If you are into kite boarding, the day after our tour was his grand opening for his kite boarding shop. Would like to try, but I think i am a little old for that.

When Cozumel opens back up, check him out. You can check his references on this board. Just look for Adrian.

We will going back next year and plan on seeing him again.

From my TA: No news as of yet. The stop in Cozumel chances are that it will be cancelled due to the pier. I would cancel the excursion. I will know more later. I will email you as soon as the new comes in.

From Cozumelcruiseexcursions.com: Your deposit for this excursion is fully refundable if your ship cannot make its call in Cozumel or our operator is unable to provide this service due to damage. We are still assessing this situation day by day.

The Florida Cruise Association and the Mayor of Cozumel, along with business community leaders met in Cozumel yesterday and have agreed to start tendering boats beginning November 14th. Optimistic, yes, but we have to rely on the information we are being provided. Certainly not all ships that were coming to Cozumel will be able to tender here. There is a great deal of damage and a lot of work to be done before Cozumel is ready for visitors, but, the resolve is great and the people of Cozumel will work night and day to protect and rebuild their homes and businesses.

Our policy is always to act in your best interests and I assure you we will do so, but we have to maintain our policy regarding tour cancellations especially in times such as this. I have had guests requesting cancellations for January and beyond based on what they think may or may not happen in the future. We have to continue to support our operators based on our agreements, and proceed according to our policies. As soon as this situation has been better clarified we assure you we will do everything to assist you in any way that we can, including arranging excursions in your new ports if you require us to do so.

It may very well be that the Norwegian Dawn will not make its port stop in Cozumel. As soon as we have confirmed that information we will refund your deposit promptly and fully. I hope you understand our position in this matter.

Many ships are being transferred to new ports such as Costa Maya, Belize or Grand Cayman. We have wonderful tours in each port and are available at all times to answer and questions you may have.

Any thoughts?

I, for one, will be happy to disembark my ship, head to town and lend a hand wherever it's needed. I think this could be great for Cozumel, and it would allow those of us who have enjoyed her beauty in the past to help rebuild her.

That is very noble of you. I sincerely mean that.

What about us that are rebuilding from our own hurricane damage and are looking forward to a vacation. Or what about the people who want to decide for themselves when, where, and how much time, effort, and money they want to contribute to a cause.

I hope I will get to decide for myself and not be taken to a port so that I can lend a hand.

I hope I am taken to a port where I can enjoy all the things I was expecting to do on a Caribbean Island and all the things that are advertised to do on a Caribbean Island.

If Cozumel is ready great, I will spend my time and money there. If Cozumel is not fully ready please take me to another port.

That is very noble of you. I sincerely mean that.

What about us that are rebuilding from our own hurricane damage and are looking forward to a vacation.

That's how I'm feeling right now as well. I LOVE Cozumel - always my favorite stop. BUT I have to see hurricane devasation every day. Hell, I'm seeing it right now as I type. I booked this cruise because for our own emotional well-being we need to get AWAY from all these destroyed homes, falling-apart businesses, etc. Cozumel is near and dear to my heart, and I honestly don't think I can handle seeing the destruction there, even though much will be rebuilt by next month.

ComeToCozumel.com is now running and has official government updates, including cruise ship information.

"The Mayor of Cozumel Gustavo Ortega met this morning with the cruise line representatives of Royal Caribbean, Carnival Cruise Lines and the owners of stores on the main front and tour operators of Cozumel. After listening to the reports on the status of the island, tour operators and store owners made a commitment to the cruise lines and set up a date to start receiving Cruise Ship passengers starting on NOVEMBER 14 2005."

More details here:

http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma.asp

I am glad they are working dilligently to make this happens---I trully hope they are successful, but I can''t help but wonder if Cozumel will be a "desireable" port stop at that time as far as cruise passengers are concerned. Don't get me wrong, I really hope they make a a lot of progress and have things up and running, but with the pictures I have seen, and the reports I have read, I just wonder if the port will be ready for tourists---not just capable of accepting them.

I agree 100% , we pray from them, But I have given to "sonomi, a couple hurricanes, an earthquake, " I would like a port that we can enjoy on Vacation! I am all for humanity and the like, but I do not wish to tender in , climb over piles of crushed concrete and sharp metal, with gramma and 3 kids to go see where Chunkanub , used to be. etc. :( I am sorry but I would like to enjoy a vacation.

Same here, we're due to 'land' on the 18th!!

We were scheduled to be there on the 17th - then the 18th now its back to the 17th - I think. Everytime I check its different.

Anyway - we're on the Miracle - and I think it will be a Miracle if we are able to land that week.

on the other hand - I read somewhere that the MX president was from Coz. That might explain how its getting back onits feet so fast.

Anyway - in three weeks we'll be cruisin somewhere

We are supposed to leave on the Glory Nov. 5. We talked to a Carnival rep. today and were told that Carnival has sent thousands of workers to Cozumel to help get the placed cleaned up and open and that they are fairly confident that we will still be stopping in Cozumel on the 10th. I keep praying!

Archived