It's Official - Cozumel to Re-open Nov. 14th!

azuregazr

I think it is going to be a day to day decision based on current information and how quickly improvements are made. should be an interesting next couple of weeks...or months. Many of us sailing in the next 2-6 weeks may not know ports until we are onboard. amazing year.

The latest pictures of the cleanup are amazing - they are working very hard to open as soon as possible. The dive shop we used said their boats are fine; but electricity is still spotty. They will not be allowed to use their compressors for awhile since power, as it returns, needs to be supplied to essential areas.

Hondu, that's about what I would expect from Florida state govt. 50% power out in southern florida, heck they couldn't even get an election right!!!!!

Still planning on sitting at the bar in Coz knocking back a "rita", maybe by then southern Florida will have full power restored.

I talked to my TA today because my final payment was to go to RCCL on 10-20, but hasn't posted to my credit card yet. She said RCCL isn't going to Coz at all this year. They will make a decision later about early 06. I hope she's wrong.

Those photos are inspiring. Contrast that to my experience yesterday driving to one of the few post offices open in Orleans Parish -- there is a large tree branch partially broken off a tree and sitting in the street which leads to the post office. Instead of getting a chainsaw and removing the hazard, they have put up METAL BARRICADES around it so that you have to drive into the lane of oncoming traffic to get around it. Mind you this is TWO MONTHS after Katrina. Of course that's pretty symbolic of New Orleans in general - instead of fixing a problem, they barricade it off and forget about it. So frustrating.

I talked to my TA today because my final payment was to go to RCCL on 10-20, but hasn't posted to my credit card yet. She said RCCL isn't going to Coz at all this year. They will make a decision later about early 06. I hope she's wrong.

I don't know about that, send your TA this article, lol

HURRICANE WILLMA IMPORTANT INFORMATION

OFFICIAL INFORMATION

Come to Cozumel has the commitment to report and post on our web site the most accurate information and reports on the status on the island after last weekends storm "Wilma", We work close together with the Chamber of Tourism, the Fideicomiso of Cozumel, the Hotel Association, and the local government. We are gathering official reports from this institutions and will be posting them on this web site for those seeking information on the status and well being of the people of Cozumel.

The Mayor of Cozumel Gustavo Ortega met this morning with the cruise line representatives of Royal Caribbean, Carnival Cruise Lines and the owners of stores on the main front and tour operators of Cozumel. After listening to the reports on the status of the island, tour operators and store owners made a commitment to the cruise lines and set up a date to start receiving Cruise Ship passengers starting on NOVEMBER 14 2005.

As of the Cruise lines representatives will be scheduling the first cruise ship arrivals to Cozumel starting on November 14 2005 using tenders to get the passengers from the ship to town where they are not able to dock on the piers that are already under reconstruction where damaged. Stores located on the main avenue of Cozumel and the first downtown area should be fully working by November 14 200 too. Tour operators will be reporting this next days until November 14 about the status of each tour trying to ensure full operation by this date.

In a statement issued by mr. Mario Molina president of Cruceros Maritimos and Aviomar stated that the ferry from CALICA to COZUMEL is now crossing to the island bringing trailers with food, gas, medicine and all the necessary things for rebuilt. They will be trying to be working 24 hours continuously to bring all the trucks that are now ready to arrive to Cozumel parked in Calica. In a statement also issued by Mr Gustavo Ortega is reported that a ferry from the Mexican navy is about to arrive to the island to help the trailers cross from Calica also.

The president Vicente Fox is schedule to arrive to Cozumel tomorrow morning (Thursday October 26) to see the work done so far to the island.

We now have electricity at 3 neighborhoods of Cozumel and expect to have it fully restored by tonight in 2 more. In other news we are happy to say that since Hurricane Emily that hit Cozumel this past summer there were not may trees in the island that could damage electrical and telephone posts this time, so mainly there are fallen posts rather than broken ones caused by fallen trees this past summer by hurricane Emily.

FOR VISITORS COMING TO COZUMEL THIS SEASON

Come to Cozumel will have the Official Statement to be issued by the hotel Association of Cozumel tomorrow morning with the status of each and every hotel in Cozumel.

We will also be posting daily information on the status of each hotel as soon as it is received.

For visitors arriving to Cozumel by cruise ships please contact your cruise line since the schedules will be changing before NOVEMBER 14 2005, We expect the first ship to arrive to the island on November 14 2005.

or send her to this link

http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma.asp

Barb

I read in an earlier post here that Coz will start receiving cruise ships again as of November 14!!!

Sounds unbelievable, but the sourse appeared to have a lot of facts that made sence. I believe the quotes came from "come to cozumel.com". Mentioned several meetings that the Mayor of Coz had had with the cruise ship association, hotel association tourist board & store owners.

I hope this information is accurate. Cozumel is one of my favorite ports of call.

Annie

I am now unable to get that web page to open today was trying to show it to someone earlier. If you noticed at the bottom it is or was asking for donations to be made to a private paypal account. Did anyone else notice that? I know I got real excited when I first read it and I did call my TA and she said she had heard the same thing thru other passenagers that the 14th was the target day but she had recieved nothing officially issued from any of the cruise lines. Is anyone else having issues opening the cometocozumel link with the announcement on it?

I don't know about that, send your TA this article, lol

HURRICANE WILLMA IMPORTANT INFORMATION

OFFICIAL INFORMATION

Come to Cozumel has the commitment to report and post on our web site the most accurate information and reports on the status on the island after last weekends storm "Wilma", We work close together with the Chamber of Tourism, the Fideicomiso of Cozumel, the Hotel Association, and the local government. We are gathering official reports from this institutions and will be posting them on this web site for those seeking information on the status and well being of the people of Cozumel.

The Mayor of Cozumel Gustavo Ortega met this morning with the cruise line representatives of Royal Caribbean, Carnival Cruise Lines and the owners of stores on the main front and tour operators of Cozumel. After listening to the reports on the status of the island, tour operators and store owners made a commitment to the cruise lines and set up a date to start receiving Cruise Ship passengers starting on NOVEMBER 14 2005.

As of the Cruise lines representatives will be scheduling the first cruise ship arrivals to Cozumel starting on November 14 2005 using tenders to get the passengers from the ship to town where they are not able to dock on the piers that are already under reconstruction where damaged. Stores located on the main avenue of Cozumel and the first downtown area should be fully working by November 14 200 too. Tour operators will be reporting this next days until November 14 about the status of each tour trying to ensure full operation by this date.

In a statement issued by mr. Mario Molina president of Cruceros Maritimos and Aviomar stated that the ferry from CALICA to COZUMEL is now crossing to the island bringing trailers with food, gas, medicine and all the necessary things for rebuilt. They will be trying to be working 24 hours continuously to bring all the trucks that are now ready to arrive to Cozumel parked in Calica. In a statement also issued by Mr Gustavo Ortega is reported that a ferry from the Mexican navy is about to arrive to the island to help the trailers cross from Calica also.

The president Vicente Fox is schedule to arrive to Cozumel tomorrow morning (Thursday October 26) to see the work done so far to the island.

We now have electricity at 3 neighborhoods of Cozumel and expect to have it fully restored by tonight in 2 more. In other news we are happy to say that since Hurricane Emily that hit Cozumel this past summer there were not may trees in the island that could damage electrical and telephone posts this time, so mainly there are fallen posts rather than broken ones caused by fallen trees this past summer by hurricane Emily.

FOR VISITORS COMING TO COZUMEL THIS SEASON

Come to Cozumel will have the Official Statement to be issued by the hotel Association of Cozumel tomorrow morning with the status of each and every hotel in Cozumel.

We will also be posting daily information on the status of each hotel as soon as it is received.

For visitors arriving to Cozumel by cruise ships please contact your cruise line since the schedules will be changing before NOVEMBER 14 2005, We expect the first ship to arrive to the island on November 14 2005.

or send her to this link

http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma.asp

Barb

I doubt that she'd listen to me. I guess come January I can just say I knew better!!!!

I doubt that she'd listen to me. I guess come January I can just say I knew better!!!!

no need to get testy, I am only posting what I have read on other threads on these boards..infact, here's another one, and by the way, I am personally not in favor of being one of those first (my triumph cruise is scheduled to port in cozumel on the 14th) to go to Cozumel..I am not sure it would even be safe, not to mention Nothing to do but look at the devestation....so I am hoping all this info is wrong, but meanwhile it is being posted from Mexico..oh and the reason you couldn't get on the site, lol..is because every cruiser in the next two weeks is also trying to get to it, how much bandwidth do you think they have after a hurricane, lol..if you try around 1 am est you get right on...so don't get an attitude, just use your head

From another thread from a dive shop owner:

Posted Today:

Hola Everyone!

Trying to catch up on the last week. I incredibly got power on at the house today, 1 week before we expected to. Several nighborhoods in Cozumel already have power, we are still waiting for water, though they have been dispensing it at the water plant.

So much going on and so much to comment on, really this thing was bigger and stayed longer than anyone expected, we were holed up from Thursday at 8pm to Sunday at 8am, and even then still had some light gusts.

Although the clean up has been as fast and speedy as with Emily in July, there is considerable more damage this time. Cozumel has sustained a major blow, which will take a full year to recover from completely. As many hotels are predicting, we will be mostly operational by Christmas and New Year, and we in Cozumel very much hope we will be visited by the legions of faithfull Cozumel fans out there, and not left empty.

Like after Emily some "attractions" will not be up and running soon, Chankanaab Park sustained major damage, and Punta Sur Park which wasn't even open yet, will be much longer, the road on the other side of the island is gone for the most part, and will take some time to rebuild, though local and federal politicians have vowed rapid funds for their reconstruction.

The local and state authorities are to be commended for their efforts, really, they have done an outstanding job again, before and after the storm, and it is to their credit that with the one largest hurricanes in history staying around for a total of 60 hours in the state, there were little to none fatalities. Kudos to them for this, and also for the lightening speed at which they are working to restore basic services. They have set a date of November 14th here as kind of a marker for being mostly operational, mainly in the downtown area, and have agreed to receive the first cruise ship on this date, which is also the day public schools resume classes. Yesterday 2 Mexican Navy ships arrived with tons of supplies and equipment, as well as a cruise ship from RCCL with supplies, 500 volunteers, and was also going to give free rides back to the US to any American still here, though most got out by plane Wednesday.

Supplies are being delivered door to door by the Mexican Army and some civil organizations, who also have a kitchen set up for the 1000s of workers of the different groups working & helping, as well as for any citizen who is so dire as to require it.

I want to thank everyone who expressed support and prayers before and after the storm, believe it or not those prayers worked and we were spared the loss of life, and this is still paradise, and the leafs will grow back, and the reefs will flourish, and the hotels and roads will be fixed, and we will be here waiting for you with a big smile and the warm friendly service you've come to expect when visiting us.

Cozumel is down, but we are not out, not by a long shot.

WE WILL BE RIGHT BACK!!!!

I've been taking pictures throughout this ordeal and have put them up at Imagestation, you have to register (free) to see them, after you do copy/paste this into browser:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2118380855

no need to get testy, I am only posting what I have read on other threads on these boards..infact, here's another one, and by the way, I am personally not in favor of being one of those first (my triumph cruise is scheduled to port in cozumel on the 14th) to go to Cozumel..I am not sure it would even be safe, not to mention Nothing to do but look at the devestation....so I am hoping all this info is wrong, but meanwhile it is being posted from Mexico..oh and the reason you couldn't get on the site, lol..is because every cruiser in the next two weeks is also trying to get to it, how much bandwidth do you think they have after a hurricane, lol..if you try around 1 am est you get right on...so don't get an attitude, just use your head

From another thread from a dive shop owner:

Posted Today:

Hola Everyone!

Trying to catch up on the last week. I incredibly got power on at the house today, 1 week before we expected to. Several nighborhoods in Cozumel already have power, we are still waiting for water, though they have been dispensing it at the water plant.

So much going on and so much to comment on, really this thing was bigger and stayed longer than anyone expected, we were holed up from Thursday at 8pm to Sunday at 8am, and even then still had some light gusts.

Although the clean up has been as fast and speedy as with Emily in July, there is considerable more damage this time. Cozumel has sustained a major blow, which will take a full year to recover from completely. As many hotels are predicting, we will be mostly operational by Christmas and New Year, and we in Cozumel very much hope we will be visited by the legions of faithfull Cozumel fans out there, and not left empty.

Like after Emily some "attractions" will not be up and running soon, Chankanaab Park sustained major damage, and Punta Sur Park which wasn't even open yet, will be much longer, the road on the other side of the island is gone for the most part, and will take some time to rebuild, though local and federal politicians have vowed rapid funds for their reconstruction.

The local and state authorities are to be commended for their efforts, really, they have done an outstanding job again, before and after the storm, and it is to their credit that with the one largest hurricanes in history staying around for a total of 60 hours in the state, there were little to none fatalities. Kudos to them for this, and also for the lightening speed at which they are working to restore basic services. They have set a date of November 14th here as kind of a marker for being mostly operational, mainly in the downtown area, and have agreed to receive the first cruise ship on this date, which is also the day public schools resume classes. Yesterday 2 Mexican Navy ships arrived with tons of supplies and equipment, as well as a cruise ship from RCCL with supplies, 500 volunteers, and was also going to give free rides back to the US to any American still here, though most got out by plane Wednesday.

Supplies are being delivered door to door by the Mexican Army and some civil organizations, who also have a kitchen set up for the 1000s of workers of the different groups working & helping, as well as for any citizen who is so dire as to require it.

I want to thank everyone who expressed support and prayers before and after the storm, believe it or not those prayers worked and we were spared the loss of life, and this is still paradise, and the leafs will grow back, and the reefs will flourish, and the hotels and roads will be fixed, and we will be here waiting for you with a big smile and the warm friendly service you've come to expect when visiting us.

Cozumel is down, but we are not out, not by a long shot.

WE WILL BE RIGHT BACK!!!!

I've been taking pictures throughout this ordeal and have put them up at Imagestation, you have to register (free) to see them, after you do copy/paste this into browser:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2118380855

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. The comment was directed at my TA not you. people here seem to know so much more then she does.

by the way, try this link..it's been updated

http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma/wilma2610.asp

and this one as well

http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma/default.asp

Barb

I decided to send the info to my TA. She had told me she talked to RCCL Wednesday and they told her no Cozumel for at least the end of the year. She's stuck up north right now because of Wilma hitting us. And since RCCL is in Miami, I'm sure they aren't running at their normal level either. It really seems that this forum is a better place for info.

I decided to send the info to my TA. She had told me she talked to RCCL Wednesday and they told her no Cozumel for at least the end of the year. She's stuck up north right now because of Wilma hitting us. And since RCCL is in Miami, I'm sure they aren't running at their normal level either. It really seems that this forum is a better place for info.

Sounds like your TA doesn't stay informed, lol..I am up north and also am a TA, but I do worry about my clients so I try to stay informed.

Hope the info helps!

Barb

Okay, i'm not going to debate whether or not Cozumel will accept ships on the 14th.

I can only assume that when Cozumel first starts accepting cruiseships they will have to tender, whether it is the 14th or not. I also assume that they will only be able to accomodate a fraction of what they normally can when using piers.

at some point they should have a general idea of when the piers will be able to open, right? or "how long before Cozumel is able to accept a full load"

I doubt that Cozumel will be able to have their normal number of cruiseships by the end of the year. (ie use piers instead of tenders)

So....the question is this...how do they decide which ships go and which get a differnt port?

Do you think that ships leaving from Tampa, Texas, or Miami would go there (due to location) and those leaving from, say, Port Canaveral would have an alternate port due to the number of potentially eligible ports that the ship must pass by to even reach Cozumel?

Carnival likes to give last minute info, whereas the other lines seem to be trying to give their travelers a little more notice.

Should I just assume that my cruise in early December will NOT go to Cozumel, even if they are accepting ships, strictly because of my embarkation port?

anyone have any knowledge of how this works?

Interesting. My TA called RCCL just this morning and was told my 11/19 cruise stopping in Cozumel is full speed ahead, business as usual. I know I just fell off the turnip truck, but I'm skeptical :rolleyes:

Okay, i'm not going to debate whether or not Cozumel will accept ships on the 14th.

I can only assume that when Cozumel first starts accepting cruiseships they will have to tender, whether it is the 14th or not. I also assume that they will only be able to accomodate a fraction of what they normally can when using piers.

at some point they should have a general idea of when the piers will be able to open, right? or "how long before Cozumel is able to accept a full load"

I doubt that Cozumel will be able to have their normal number of cruiseships by the end of the year. (ie use piers instead of tenders)

So....the question is this...how do they decide which ships go and which get a differnt port?

Do you think that ships leaving from Tampa, Texas, or Miami would go there (due to location) and those leaving from, say, Port Canaveral would have an alternate port due to the number of potentially eligible ports that the ship must pass by to even reach Cozumel?

Carnival likes to give last minute info, whereas the other lines seem to be trying to give their travelers a little more notice.

Should I just assume that my cruise in early December will NOT go to Cozumel, even if they are accepting ships, strictly because of my embarkation port?

anyone have any knowledge of how this works?

I can only guess that it would depend on your other ports and if there is something as an alternative between your scheduled arrival. The link I read said two ships a day for the time being...one RCCL and one Carnival...so if you look at your itinerary and compare it to other Carnival ships and yours was the only one originally scheduled to arrive on that day, I would say it's a pretty good chance you are going...now on the other hand, if there were three scheduled it would depend on the rest of your itinerary. My itinerary is Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios and Cozumel...the only thing in reasonable proximity to GC and OR to not throw off the rest of the schedule would be Costa Maya so my guess is that we'll go to Cozumel (again this is a guess at this point)..but since Glory goes to Belize etc, and if there were alot scheduled to be in Cozumel at the same time, my guess is you might luck out and go to someplace like Roatan...you really have to look at your itinerary and the location of the ship compared to other ports...if you can't figure it out, lol..call Carnival...

Barb

There have been some concerns that there won't be anything to do if the ships come back to Cozumel too soon. I work with many of tour operators down in Cozumel and they are reporting that they are planning to be running by Nov 14. Most are ready to go now, but obviously no tourists to go out with them. They are all working very hard to make sure that Cozumel will be ready to accept pax by mid-month. As we all know, this is the beginning of high season. Sooner the ships come back, the better for the people of Cozumel who depend on the tourism industry to pay their bills and feed their families.

Yeah. Nothing like tendering in just to find out the oft cruise line recomended Touch of Gold is the only place open. :eek:

Say it ain't so... :D

You would think that there would be more $ in it for the cruise lines if they simply skipped the port for a period of time, and have an extra SEA DAY... then you have a ship full of drinkers and gamblers ALL DAY and NIGHT...

All that we were really looking forward to doing in Cozumel (in 3 weeks) anyway was to head over to the EAST (surf) side of the island and visit our favorite quaint little place... Chen Rio - The Mexican govt JUST completed the road repairs from the July hurricane over there (at least to Chen Rio, not beyond)... I'll bet that place REALLY got wiped this time.:(

Tom

There have been some concerns that there won't be anything to do if the ships come back to Cozumel too soon. I work with many of tour operators down in Cozumel and they are reporting that they are planning to be running by Nov 14. Most are ready to go now, but obviously no tourists to go out with them. They are all working very hard to make sure that Cozumel will be ready to accept pax by mid-month. As we all know, this is the beginning of high season. Sooner the ships come back, the better for the people of Cozumel who depend on the tourism industry to pay their bills and feed their families.

I don't think anybody is questioning whether or not they are working hard. I'm sure they are, and I have no problem with going there and spending $ on something, I'm just trying to figure out what that might be. As for me and my family, we are not interested in going scuba diving and we don't snorkel. We had booked a dolphin swim through RCCL and nobody at RCCL seems to be able to tell me if we're still doing that or not. I dunno... maybe I'm missing some key understanding here, but how hard is it for somebody at RCCL to verify whether or not the dolphin facility that they have arranged for us to visit is still operating or not??? I've had several people on these message boards tell me "no, the dolphin swim place is destroyed" but RCCL is still selling excursions! How can this be? Do they have some secret dolphin swimming place stashed away that we don't know about? Or are they just in denial? Look, I am sorry to be so anal and B.A.D.H. My kids are just heartbroken over this and I'm trying to be a hero and fix it for them :( Flame me if you want. I'm going to keep trying to get an official definite answer before I cancel the excursion and I apologize for being a nuisance.

Archived