How Do They Decide?

HUTCH-1

My husband and I have sat at the Captain's table several times. Does anyone know who decides which passengers sit with the Captain. We always ask, but it seems to be a secret that the dining room staff will take to their graves.

My husband and I have sat at the Captain's table several times. Does anyone know who decides which passengers sit with the Captain. We always ask, but it seems to be a secret that the dining room staff will take to their graves.

I should think that you should know the answer to your own question. You must have some sort of a clue as to why you have been invited so much.

What do you believe that you have that makes you special enough to be invited so many times?

A lot of people on here would love to know how to get an invite. Share your experiences with them. Ships, Captains, anything free at the tables, number of cruises, suites? Inquiring minds want to know. :confused:

You must be either very interesting conversationalists, very attractive, occupying a suite, diamond C & A members, wrote a novel, or did something famous. That pretty well sums up what others have posted on the boards in the past. Since we're none of the above I guess we'll have to buy our own drinks or go without cuz we'll never be invited!!!!

Hey Wolf.........good to hear from you again!! Thanks for your wonderful job of putting together the list of Captains. You're awesome!!:D

To the OP, there are several threads dealing with "dining with the Captain". You may want to do a search. I will tell you that the Captain has the final say in who dines with him. It sounds to me, if you have dined with several captains, you indeed know the answer to your own question.

Rick

Being booked in a suite has nothing to do with who gets to dine with the Captain.

I had the RS booked on the Mariner (Sept 06) and was told that it included an automatic invitation to dine with him......... wrong no invitation.

I don't think it makes a difference as to what category stateroom you are in. We were told that the head waiter decides who gets the invites.

To the OP, sounds to me like you are just trying to let the rest of us know that you have been invited. So, what's the point? I, for one, have never understood the attraction. To me, the captain is just another person working on the ship, granted a job with a lot of responsibilities, but a job nontheless. I'm not one to get all enthused over entertainers, sports personalities, public figures, etc. We all have jobs to do and hopefully do them to the best of our abilities. No big deal!

We got invited to the Captains table on the Navigator last May. We were at the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle and Captain Bang and his wife were there. We (all the people at the M&M) talked with them and then he asked what stateroom DH & I were in. (Just a balcony - not a suite) A couple of days later we received an invitation to dine at the Captain's table.

Guess I would have to say it was because of the Meet & Mingle that we got invited - not because of the head waiter.

As for free drinks - there was wine provided by Captain Bang for being his dinner guests. It was a nice dinner and interesting conversation.

We have also been invited to dine with the captain on the Navigator. I think that capt. Bang does choose people from the M&M. It was alot of fun, we were served all the wine that we wanted.:D They come and take a picture of the whole table and then at the end of the dinner they give you a nice .5x7 picture. I am sure that I will never be invited again. It was also my daughters first cruise so that was neat.

Carrie:p

Being booked in a suite has nothing to do with who gets to dine with the Captain.

I had the RS booked on the Mariner (Sept 06) and was told that it included an automatic invitation to dine with him......... wrong no invitation.

I don't think it makes a difference as to what category stateroom you are in. We were told that the head waiter decides who gets the invites.

Am I a little confused, or is this future tripping? Booking on any ship for the future (Sept 06) to include an invitation to dine with captain ((oh, by the way, it might not be ""him"" in '06), may be just as advertised. You need to wait for that cruise........maybe you will be invited!!

Want to see pictures of female "senior officers"? A friend just returned from the Mexican Riviera, and sent a picture of the two of them sitting with a female senior deck officer.

This could start a whole new thread.

Rick

We've been invited twice. Once when a tablemate took pictures of a container ship running into ours and again when we did back to back cruises to Hawaii and over the course of the 22 nights on board got to be friends with the Cruise Director and his wife who was the hostess.

We were also on a cruise where a lady at our table slipped between the dock and the tender, just a few scrapes, nothing serious. She and her friend were invited to dine with the Captain the next night.

Am I a little confused, or is this future tripping? Booking on any ship for the future (Sept 06) to include an invitation to dine with captain ((oh, by the way, it might not be ""him"" in '06), may be just as advertised. You need to wait for that cruise........maybe you will be invited!!

Want to see pictures of female "senior officers"? A friend just returned from the Mexican Riviera, and sent a picture of the two of them sitting with a female senior deck officer.

This could start a whole new thread.

Rick

Oops. typo error there, should of said Sept 05. Sorry about that must of been thinking about April 06 cruise on the Grandeur............ imagine, I am not perfect anymore.....

we did a cruise last year and sat at the captains table - it was a total roar. We all ended up having such a laugh - so much so that he dined with us every night and met us in the bar for drinks before hand. An experience to never forget - especially some of the stories he came out with....I think that was based on personalities they thought he would get on with.:p

I don't remember who it was, but some famous lady when asked to dine with the Captain refused by saying something like: "Why would I want to eat with the help?"

Sounds like the lady did everyone at the Captains table a favor by refusing. She sounded so full of herself - maybe she didn't need to eat!!!

Nothing wrong with turning down an invitation - but there is a better way to do it than that.

Archived