Just off Equinox....some thoughts

andrea2609

Hi all

This morning my DW and I disembarked from a 9 days cruise on west med.

This was our first cruise with X, after one with MSC (Musica, west med) and one with RCCL (Oasis, eastern Caribbean). I'm Italian, she's Brazilian, we live in Venice/Italy.

I'm writing this post to let you know my/our opinions on X, mainly compared to RCCL. We will be soon booking next year's cruise, so I will need your comments and feedbacks as were a bit uncertain, at this point. We will would choose between RCCL, X, and/or eventually a line such as Princess or HAL.

So, here I go:

Were we happy about this cruise? Yes.

Did it meet our expectations? No.

I try to explain: we enjoyed the food, the atmosphere and so on, but we were expecting more "luxury " after all the advertising of "modern luxury" that Celebrity spread in all their advs and website etc.

Some brief details:

Food and restaurant: this was excellent in MDR (we didn't try any specialty restaurant), but we did NOT like the buffet for breakfast and lunch, not the too few options to eat elsewhere w/o being charged. The buffet restaurant was always crowded and, although we never actually had a problem finding a table, the food isles were really too small and quality just "quite ok", if not so and so. The decoration of the buffet is in our opinion is really low end, worse than we found in Oasis or even MSC. I was expecting a more "modern luxury" place where to eat good food and relax. Wasn't like that. The prices for drinks are almost the only Luxury thing we noticed through all the ships, they are very expensive.

MDR, as I said really met our high expectations (we both are fine food lovers), and the environment and decor was really nice and classy. Service was excellent, our waiter Elbert has been really nice and made any wish come true. MDR food was way better than MSC, but same level of Oasis, in our opinion.

Stateroom: we stayed in a standard balcony room: this was the exact copy of Oasis balcony room! How can RCCL and X differentiate their products-Royal being more "fun and mass market", and X being more high end market, if their rooms are exactly the same??? This confused me a lot.

Pools and decks: of course any ship would loose against Oasis and her sisters, but in my opinion this was way disappointing for us: the chairs are too close each others (you're always touching your neighbor) and too few in number, thus this turned the cruise to look more chip than high end, actually....the pool size is ridiculous and in my honest opinion, the layout could be better: the solarium is amazing but it's too hot and humid, so nobody was really staying there. The lawn club as well, is elegant and unique but at the end people prefer to stay on the other more "normal" sun decks and pools, so the pool area was ALWAYS overcrowded.

People: the public is totally different than we found in Oasis (very few kids and children, for instance, but not only that): is this the "typical" profile of X Cruisers, or was this because this was a European itinerary?

We enjoyed the service and all the attendants, they all seem happy to serve their clients. Entertainment was funny and the shows amazing, in our opinion.

I'll wait for your feedback, my main question being the following:

is X better than Royal, or just about the same? I mean, maybe I only know Oasis and this is a bit different in standard than other RCCL ships, or is it just bigger?

What should I expect, eventually, from Princess or HAL, or any other cruise line you have experienced?

Thanks a lot for your patience, if you read my post.

Italian Cruiser

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Thanks for your thoughts. I so agree with you regarding the modern luxury advertising versus the reality of the product. Celebrity has become a mass market cruise yearning to be something else. But not willing to put in the work. For instance, we had the premium beverage package and my husband asked for two (small) waters after exercising. They told him no and to go to the pool deck to get the other water. We were in northern Iceland. The pool bar was closed. We are transitioning over to Regent and also like Oceania. It's too bad because Celebrity had some potential.

Thanks for your thoughts. I so agree with you regarding the modern luxury advertising versus the reality of the product. Celebrity has become a mass market cruise yearning to be something else. But not willing to put in the work. For instance, we had the premium beverage package and my husband asked for two (small) waters after exercising. They told him no and to go to the pool deck to get the other water. We were in northern Iceland. The pool bar was closed. We are transitioning over to Regent and also like Oceania. It's too bad because Celebrity had some potential.

Thanks, I'll consider your advice!

Italian Cruiser

"Modern Luxury" is a term that Celebrity coined that maybe isn't well defined for the non-US passenger.

Personally, I'm not sure what that term really defines. But it's not glitz, it's not sparkle, and in some venues, not elegance.

But I like the design of Celebrity ships. I just care for the term "Modern Luxury".

It's all about perception...

"Modern Luxury" is a term that Celebrity coined that maybe isn't well defined for the non-US passenger.

Personally, I'm not sure what that term really defines. But it's not glitz, it's not sparkle, and in some venues, not elegance.

But I like the design of Celebrity ships. I just care for the term "Modern Luxury".

It's all about perception...

I agree it's all about perception, but I think that when the term "luxury" is used, people should expect not only higher prices, but also higher comfort or more space per passenger, in the ship. Anyway, we actually enjoyed the cruise, the point is I couldn't see a big (or any) difference compared to the other cruise line.

Thanks

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

We were on the same cruise. Agree completely with you on the buffet. It was really high quality last year including good fish options/prawns etc. We even skipped breakfast this morning rather than endure another day of that food.

I just read your text in another post and I was about to reply to you [emoji846]

I'm now enjoining Barcelona for few days, I hope you're doing the same!

I agree on what you just wrote in the other threads, toilets were not that clean, as well!

I just read your text in another post and I was about to reply to you [emoji846]

I'm now enjoining Barcelona for few days, I hope you're doing the same!

I agree on what you just wrote in the other threads, toilets were not that clean, as well!

Yes. Had a beautiful walk around the city this morning. Had tasty tapas for lunch. A nice Siesta and looking forward to a dinner in El Born. Have a great few days also.

Edited by Pavovsky

I have sailed both RC and X, mostly Celebrity. 2 years ago I had the worth cruise on Liberty of the Sea and this year I 've tried Anthem of the Sea.

Without going into details, I still will prefer Celebrity, I just ignore " the modern luxury" slogan, since so many areas of Celebrity cruises are not up to the slogan in my opinion. Good food and service are very important to me, so except the specialty restaurants, food on Anthem was just OK. I have 4 cruises booked on Equinox and I hope I would not be disappointed after sailing in December. I think Princess is something between RC and Celebrity.

But if you ask 100 people - you will get 100 opinions.

I have sailed both RC and X, mostly Celebrity. 2 years ago I had the worth cruise on Liberty of the Sea and this year I 've tried Anthem of the Sea.

Without going into details, I still will prefer Celebrity, I just ignore " the modern luxury" slogan, since so many areas of Celebrity cruises are not up to the slogan in my opinion. Good food and service are very important to me, so except the specialty restaurants, food on Anthem was just OK. I have 4 cruises booked on Equinox and I hope I would not be disappointed after sailing in December. I think Princess is something between RC and Celebrity.

But if you ask 100 people - you will get 100 opinions.

Thanks Isabella

You said it right, if I'll ask 100 people, I'll have 100 different opinions: to me, this clearly means they're quite the same...

To me, the key points on a cruise are:

1. Food quality

2. Space and availability of chairs on any deck.

My wife is pushing me to book again on Oasis class, as these two demands are (in our opinion) fulfilled....but I will go on studying all threads on Equinox sub forum, as I liked it anyway. I enjoyed the different kind of passengers/public this time, do you have any idea whether is this due to the itinerary, or the cruise line?

Italian Cruiser

People: the public is totally different than we found in Oasis (very few kids and children, for instance, but not only that): is this the "typical" profile of X Cruisers, or was this because this was a European itinerary?

Italian Cruiser

In our experience, Celebrity ships have far fewer children than RCCL.

The absence of water slides, rock climbing walls and belly flop contests must make Celebrity a less attractive option to younger families:)

We were once on a Christmas cruise (NOT Celebrity) and there were 800 children onboard:eek:

I'd say the average age of a Celebrity cruiser is definitely older that that of RCCL. We don't consider ourselves old (38 & 48) and we're not totally against children but we prefer things a little quieter and more relaxed. I think thats what keeps us coming back to Celebrity.

In our experience, Celebrity ships have far fewer children than RCCL.

The absence of water slides, rock climbing walls and belly flop contests must make Celebrity a less attractive option to younger families:)

We were once on a Christmas cruise (NOT Celebrity) and there were 800 children onboard:eek:

I'd say the average age of a Celebrity cruiser is definitely older that that of RCCL. We don't consider ourselves old (38 & 48) and we're not totally against children but we prefer things a little quieter and more relaxed. I think thats what keeps us coming back to Celebrity.

Couldn't agree more.

However if you compare Celebrity to Regent and Oceania it's like comparing apples and oranges. You get what you pay for, and if you can afford to pay Regent and Oceania prices then go for it. You will definitely get the luxury you are looking for.

IMO the S-Class ships of Celebrity are far more elegant than any RCL ship I have been on. The Oceanview Cafe has food which is quite satisfactory unless you are looking for caviar with your eggs and the atmosphere is clean and airy. To me there is nothing to complain about. You can always eat in the MDR for breakfast and lunch if that is more to your liking.

Just MHO.

Thanks Isabella

You said it right, if I'll ask 100 people, I'll have 100 different opinions: to me, this clearly means they're quite the same...

To me, the key points on a cruise are:

1. Food quality

2. Space and availability of chairs on any deck.

My wife is pushing me to book again on Oasis class, as these two demands are (in our opinion) fulfilled....but I will go on studying all threads on Equinox sub forum, as I liked it anyway. I enjoyed the different kind of passengers/public this time, do you have any idea whether is this due to the itinerary, or the cruise line?

Italian Cruiser

Have you tried sail in AQ on Celebrity S class? We really enjoyed dining in Blu - breakfast and dinners every time we sailed in AQ. Food and service on our last TA on Silhouette was superb. Sailing in AQ would not solve the pool chair situation and public bathrooms.

Have you tried sail in AQ on Celebrity S class? We really enjoyed dining in Blu - breakfast and dinners every time we sailed in AQ. Food and service on our last TA on Silhouette was superb. Sailing in AQ would not solve the pool chair situation and public bathrooms.

Hi Isabella,

I will consider Aqua class option next time, if I'll choose X again. Thanks for the advice, I had read good reviews about AQ indeed.

Italian Cruiser

I want to thank you for starting your review with saying you're Italian as I read the entire thing in an Italian accent.

Sorry you didn't have the best cruise though. Sometimes certain lines just don't mesh well with certain people. The beauty of that though is there is a hundred more lines to try til you find the right one.

I want to thank you for starting your review with saying you're Italian as I read the entire thing in an Italian accent.

Hehe You should hear myself talking, then!

Anyway I was maybe not clear, as I did enjoyed the cruise. I might choose X again, but when considering the price, I'll probably compare it to RCCL, as I did not find any concrete difference.

Thanks

Hi all

Stateroom: we stayed in a standard balcony room: this was the exact copy of Oasis balcony room! How can RCCL and X differentiate their products-Royal being more "fun and mass market", and X being more high end market, if their rooms are exactly the same??? This confused me a lot.

We have not been on oasis class ship but have on earlier RCI and also the Anthem.

we found teh state rooms on Anthem to be more close to celebrity than the pre oasis ships.

so it looked to us that Royal were using the best bits of design from celebrity rather than the other way around.

Regarding the guests on Celebrity in the Med, this is why we like Celebrity, a lot less kids than on RCI,

having a very mixed international mix of passengers adds to the experience of traveling in europe.

Edited by bogofman

How we all have such different experiences!

After cruising Allure a few years ago (after many RC cruises) we were put off for ever, a main issue being the 'mad' buffet restaurant and the 'scramble' for chairs in the pool areas!

In contrast our Celebrity cruises have remained consistently good. Don't get me wrong, we have seen busy pools, busy buffet areas but nothing to compare to the stressful and non relaxing environment on Allure.

I do think itinerary makes a difference, time of year and expectations on boarding...I think for many the 'modern luxury' phrase perhaps misleads when comparing ships in the same price bracket...

We would try a 'big Royal' again, knowing our experience may not have been the norm....

I would also add we always book suite rooms on Celebrity and do feel the additional space and amenities make it very worth while, we feel we have the bonus of large ship facilities but then the service and ambience of a smaller ship feel when we want it. I would add even though we also booked suites on RC we never felt this difference.

The facilities for the larger suites on Royal Caribbean's Oasis Class ships are now excellent. I was on Allure last year. Private sun deck with bar (if you want that sort of thing), reserved seating for shows, the suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen for meals. They've done a good job, but I felt it was a very different experience to Celebrity. Not worse, just different.

Edited by excitedofharpenden

The facilities for the larger suites on Royal Caribbean's Oasis Class ships are now excellent. I was on Allure last year. Private sun deck with bar (if you want that sort of thing), reserved seating for shows, the suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen for meals. They've done a good job, but I felt it was a very different experience to Celebrity. Not worse, just different.

Is this also reserved for jr suite passengers?

We had some of these perks when we were on Allure. Private sun deck had nice furnishings but was very windy, lost my scarf! The suite lounge on our cruise was a bit of a nightmare! There was a large and loud family group who were very demanding of staff, rude to the conceirges and unfortunately quite drunk a lot of the time! Add to this another family group who stayed in far later than their young children wanted and another couple who argued loudly......

Not tried Coastal kitchen yet! I was reading a bit about the new Geni programme too..

We are looking for a Spring cruise (long story). The ones we fancy on X have no suites left...perhaps instead of booking a 7night X cruise with an itinerary we don't particularly like we do an Allure or Oasis one instead and give their suite experience another go! Unfortunately we don't particularly like their itineraries either!

Sometimes cruising can be such hard work!

The "suite perks" start with GS so JS does not get to use the ones mentioned. You will receive priority embarkation and double cruise points if that matters to you. And, a really nice size cabin. I do believe on the Oasis class you will be able to use Coastal Kitchen for your dinners and while we haven't had that yet, I hear it is pretty good.

Edited by pinkrosesdeb