Is there enought time post cruise?

mystifyny

We will be disembarking in Manhattan on Friday 10/7, we found a very cheap flight leaves at 3:20pm from LGA.

Will we have any time to get in any sight seeing? I know there is a lot of construction going on at LGA so I really don't know how long it could take us to get there. We are all Tsa pre check so that should help somewhat.

I know Schwartz will store our luggage but I did not know if we would be worth the hassle.

And if we did this what time would we have to get to LGA so we don't miss out flight?

What would be the best way to get to LGA with luggage? I know it is not a flat rate like JFK so I don't want to pay to sit in traffic.

Any suggestions thoughts appreciated

Also we fly in to JFK day of cruise (Sunday 10/2) we get in at 7am. Our Port arrival time is 11. Being a Sunday how long does it take to get to Manhattan cruise port? Should we just kill a few hours and hang out in the airport until 9am or so? Or are their any transportation options that would drive us around the city for a while. I doubt much would be open that early on a Sunday anyway. Just looking for options. This is for one of the Disney cruises.

We will be disembarking in Manhattan on Friday 10/7, we found a very cheap flight leaves at 3:20pm from LGA.

Will we have any time to get in any sight seeing? I know there is a lot of construction going on at LGA so I really don't know how long it could take us to get there. We are all Tsa pre check so that should help somewhat.

I know Schwartz will store our luggage but I did not know if we would be worth the hassle.

And if we did this what time would we have to get to LGA so we don't miss out flight?

What would be the best way to get to LGA with luggage? I know it is not a flat rate like JFK so I don't want to pay to sit in traffic.

Any suggestions thoughts appreciated

Also we fly in to JFK day of cruise (Sunday 10/2) we get in at 7am. Our Port arrival time is 11. Being a Sunday how long does it take to get to Manhattan cruise port? Should we just kill a few hours and hang out in the airport until 9am or so? Or are their any transportation options that would drive us around the city for a while. I doubt much would be open that early on a Sunday anyway. Just looking for options. This is for one of the Disney cruises.

I don't think it would be worth the hassle and luggage storage expense. You aren't going to have as much time as you think. You want to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo so you get quoted a flat rate. Recent advice has been to leave at least 3 hours to get to LGA for a flight.

However, you have a window of opportunity when you fly in. Someone posted that porters will receive luggage as early as 8 am. If you can handle your carryons you can walk to Times Square and do breakfast. Empire State and Top of the Rock open at 8:00. Intrepid opens at 10:00.

Edited by 138east

Thanks!

I just saw that the Empire state building opened at 8 and that was one of the places we wanted to go to when we were original planning on spending a few days pre cruise before our plans had to change.

If the porters don't take our bags at 8am what is the worst that could happen? We have to wait outside for the terminal to open?

As far a post cruise. Seeing it is a Friday and with the construction around LGA it could take 3 hours to get there? I have read some nightmare situations going on at LGA I just was not sure how much truth there was. I did notice Friday's seem to be the busiest day of the week for the airports.

Thanks!

I just saw that the Empire state building opened at 8 and that was one of the places we wanted to go to when we were original planning on spending a few days pre cruise before our plans had to change.

If the porters don't take our bags at 8am what is the worst that could happen? We have to wait outside for the terminal to open?

As far a post cruise. Seeing it is a Friday and with the construction around LGA it could take 3 hours to get there? I have read some nightmare situations going on at LGA I just was not sure how much truth there was. I did notice Friday's seem to be the busiest day of the week for the airports.

Hopefully others will respond to you. My experience with the Manhattan Cruiseport is a one time only experience. I'm a frequent Cape Liberty sailer.

We have some very savvy posters who know the ins and outs of LGA. There are traffic/construction issues as well as TSA issues. Bottom line you have to allow plenty of time.

Edited by 138east

Friday night traffic leaving the city can be horrific. Friday night can be very busy at the airports.

The Port Authority is running public service announcements on NY radio stations asking people to not drive to LGA. There is a huge shortage of parking. That and the airport construction are causing substantial delays on the roads leading to and in the airport. Coupled with the ever-present possibility of long TSA lines, I suggest you leave midtown Manhattan no later than three hours before your flight's departure...and maybe even earlier...say 4 hours before on a Friday night. I'd rather cool my heels at the airport for an hour than miss my flight.

Edited by njhorseman

MCT is the homeport that we frequent and LGA's Runway 31 is 1.5 miles southeast of us - the traffic nightmare is not getting from/to LGA's exit from the Grand Central Pkwy, rather, roadway detours, lane closures and long-term 5 year capital project construction - moving the terminals and service/access roads for the airport's 3 primary terminals (and, some flights @ Marine Air terminal, also affected - since the free courtesy shuttles & MTA city buses, etc. operating in a loop & everyone "trapped"). Got an alert this weekend that even Hertz is notifying LGA renters to allow extra time and that their shuttle may be dropping & picking up HZ members at the outer roadways, that's as much as 1/2 mile of walking with luggage to/from the terminal building ... it is not fun, I can assure you with the hot & humid weather last week & this week.

IMG_20160727_084901_zpsrox9nst5.jpg

IMG_20160727_084734_zpslnvvw3px.jpg

Pre-Check isn't going to make a difference until you are inside the terminal building & can proceed to check-in or head for the departure gate. When traffic inside the airport's "internal" service roadways are practically at a full stop, you can sit and wait, or you can get off and start walking, or run - in many instances. This is strictly advisory and up to OP and anyone else reading to consider or ignore & roll the dices.

I second NJH's recommendations, leaving no later than around noon from Manhattan for LGA - allow 90+ minutes to get there AND inside your terminal. Airport concessions are both landside & airside, depending on your carrier's gate, if you are "early" - sit back, relax & get a bite (or, visit the airport lounge, etc.)

Sunday morning, JFK to Manhattan pier - typical trip time vary from 60 to 90 minutes, depending on routing ... traffic & weather, etc. If you have checked luggage, you might not be ready for ground transportation until 7:30 to 7:45 AM, or even later ... wheels down on runway, taxi to gate, deplane, walk to arrival level for luggage, outside for free AirTrain (5 minute rides + short waiting time) to Federal Circle stop for all ground transportation >>> finally, exit airport roadways onto city highway for trip into Manhattan. It is not a 10 minutes trip from "wheels down" at JFK into a waiting limo or car service or taxi, more than 20 to 40+ minutes or more.

By the time you reach the terminal, it will be closer to 8:45 or 9 AM ... last time we flown, unless you are coming from abroad & ate breakfast pre-arrival, you want to allow a bit of time for your morning coffee/tea & something to eat until you are onboard. You can pay airport pricing & eat before your ride, or you can wait till Manhattan, after dropping your luggage - then, walk 2 or 3 blocks to find a nearby local place for a quick one.

Porters will be available to take & check your luggage - security & check-in open around 9 to 9:30 AM, from experience - not knowing your specific cruise line, can't be more specific.

Here's link to Dial7 - email & call them for price quotes & options on hourly services if you wish to do a drive-by tour. Carmel also do this, call & email them. https://www.dial7.com/services.html To see better, sit higher up on a minivan - more comfortable & better view all around, marginal costs is worth it.

From Hertz's website - Hertz Car Rental Locations - New York City Laguardia Airport

Attention to all customers traveling through Laguardia Airport:

Due to constructions at Terminal B, we are experiencing short delays as all courtesy shuttle buses will now pick-up and drop-off on the outer roadway of the departure level. Terminal B services American, United, Southwest, Jetblue, Air Canada, Frontier and Spirit Airlines.

Edited by mking8288

Thank you for the info. I will call Dial 7 and Carmel for both sides of the transportation.

We are sailing Disney. Seeing they are not in the manhattan cruise port much there is limited information out there about embarking and departure. So it is hard to tell when we will actually be getting on the ship. We usually head right to lunch so maybe just getting something quick at JFK may hold us over.

Thanks for the information on LGA. It looks like we will just head there after we get off the ship and any time we have left we will just relax. We are flying Delta. So it looks to be in terminal c or d.