Critique My Pre-Cruise Itinerary

b00kbug

Hey all!

Take a look at our plans before we get on the cruise ship - let me know if there is something I just shouldn't miss out on, or if there is something you think we should skip - have at it!

About us:: Active vacationers - we can't sit still for too long. First vacation with our daughter - she will be a few weeks shy of 2. First time in Hawaii. We are traveling from end of Nov into Dec for this trip. We are renting a car for our time pre-cruise.

Monday:: Arrive on Oahu. Check in with our AirBnB host. Hit Target for some baby supplies. Honolulu Burger Co for dinner.

Tuesday:: Marukame Udon for breakfast. USS Arizona Memorial. Polynesian Cultural Center - eat dinner there.

Wednesday:: Eggs'n Things for breakfast. Hike Kaena Point Trail.Duke's Waikiki for lunch. Afternoon/Evening on Waikiki beach. Dinner at Shore Bird Restaurant & Beach Bar.

Thursday:: Cinnamon's at the 'Ilikai for breakfast. Hike at Keaiwa Heiau State Park. Hike Lanikai Pillboxes Trail. Hike Makapu‘u Point Lighthouse Trail. Visit Halona Blowhole Lookout. Beer tasting at Kona Brewing Company. Beer tasting at Waikiki Brewing Company. Beer tasting at Honolulu Beer Works. Dinner at La Mariana Sailing Club.

Friday:: Boots & Kimo's Homestyle Kitchen for breakfast. Visit The Byodo-In Temple. Hike Manoa Falls. 678 Hawaii for dinner.

Saturday:: Bogart's Cafe for breakfast. Hike Diamond Head State Monument. Get on POA! :D :D :D

Edited by b00kbug

Looks like you are going to be very busy; have a great time!

The one thing that jumped out at me is your plans for Tuesday. The PCC is an all day adventure unless you are just going for the evening show (then you will be missing a lot IMO, and do not go there "just for dinner"). Pearl Harbor can also be very time consuming depending on how much you want to see and the number of other people at the Park. Doing both of these in one day would not be a good idea IMO, even if it was just two adults; not sure how a two year old will be able to handle it.

Curious as to where your airBnB is located. If it is outside of the Waikiki area, you will be doing a fair amount of commuting during rush hours according to your schedule. Have you factored this in?

Not to say one way or the other and meant only as fact, the hikes are really for people who can manage on their own, and your daughter is rather young to be trying them. If you carry her, consider how long either of you will feel comfortable doing so while maneuvering the trails.

We have been hiking many times with her already - we have a hiking carrier for her, a framed pack with a sun shade for her, we have a rain cover for it too in case of bad weather. She'll be a spoiled hiker haha

Curious as to where your airBnB is located. If it is outside of the Waikiki area, you will be doing a fair amount of commuting during rush hours according to your schedule. Have you factored this in?

It actually is in Waikiki. We wanted it there since it was closer to most of the things we wanted to do - pretty darn happy with our call to do airBnB with the savings compared to the hotels nearby!

Looks like you are going to be very busy; have a great time!

The one thing that jumped out at me is your plans for Tuesday. The PCC is an all day adventure unless you are just going for the evening show (then you will be missing a lot IMO, and do not go there "just for dinner"). Pearl Harbor can also be very time consuming depending on how much you want to see and the number of other people at the Park. Doing both of these in one day would not be a good idea IMO, even if it was just two adults; not sure how a two year old will be able to handle it.

Well the plan was to try and get tickets for an early tour of the Arizona - 7/8am ish. We did want to spend a good portion of the day at PCC - if we do get an early ticket for the memorial, is it till best to split these two activities up? I didn't know how long the memorial took to visit. My impression was it was a timed event.

Well the plan was to try and get tickets for an early tour of the Arizona - 7/8am ish. We did want to spend a good portion of the day at PCC - if we do get an early ticket for the memorial, is it till best to split these two activities up? I didn't know how long the memorial took to visit. My impression was it was a timed event.

I will let other more recent visitors comment about getting to the Park in time for the first boat out trip. I have visited there twice and we had the best luck going later in the PM to be able to quickly visit the Memorial only. You are correct in that the visit to the actual Arizona Memorial is time limited, however there are several other things to do there. You can burn a couple hours minimum IMO, or all day if desired.

Remember to plan on the drive to/from the PCC to be 90 - 120 minutes depending on traffic and where you are going from/to.

You may be able to do both places the same day, but it will be a long hard day IMO. The PCC is a big wild card since depending on your interest in history, you can easily spend an entire day there. The last time we visited the PCC it did not even open until noon (but it was January not sure about other months), so we had to limit what we did that day.

I will let other more recent visitors comment about getting to the Park in time for the first boat out trip. I have visited there twice and we had the best luck going later in the PM to be able to quickly visit the Memorial only. You are correct in that the visit to the actual Arizona Memorial is time limited, however there are several other things to do there. You can burn a couple hours minimum IMO, or all day if desired.

Remember to plan on the drive to/from the PCC to be 90 - 120 minutes depending on traffic and where you are going from/to.

You may be able to do both places the same day, but it will be a long hard day IMO. The PCC is a big wild card since depending on your interest in history, you can easily spend an entire day there. The last time we visited the PCC it did not even open until noon (but it was January not sure about other months), so we had to limit what we did that day.

PCC doesnt open until noon - which is why I thought we could hit both places. We are planning on buying tickets that include a guide in PCC so we are sure to hit all the shows/demonstrations.

I just booked my reservations for the Arizona today for October. The booking dates become available 60 days ahead. Each day the new date for booking is on recreation.gov early in the day but you can not actually book the resevation until 7:00 AM Hawaii time (currently 1:00 PM EDT). If you look at the site they list tour times from 7:30 AM in 15 minute intervals. However the only ones available (until sold out) are on the hour from 8:00 AM until the afternoon. I suppose that has to do with what they are holding for same day tickets or those being released the day before. Just one word of caution if the weather becomes windy the Navy (the Navy not the National Park Service runs the boats to the Arizona) may cancel the boats due to rough seas. That seems to happen more often later in the day. Remember the U.S.S. Arizona is still part of the Navy and Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam so when the Navy says no shuttle boats there will not be any shuttle boats.

It sounds as though you are trying to do a very large number of things each day. Everything that I have read says that PCC is more than a quick stop. And personally I feel that the Pearl Harbor World War 2 Valor in the Pacific National Monument (the name of the name of the entire NPS site including access to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial) also is not a quick stop. When you go you will first be seeing a 23 minute documentary film about the attack on Pearl Harbor then take the boat to the Arizona. Without the narrated tour or visiting the other exhibits the NPS site states that the tour takes 1 hour and 15 minutes. FYI: Strollers are allowed in the visitors center but not in the theaters or the shuttle boats to the U.S.S Arizona. I don't know about a backpack carrier for your daughter.

Because security is You are not permitted to carry any bags of any kind into the visitors center but there are small lockers available for rent. They also ask that you arrive 1 hour before your scheduled tour in order to check in etc.

Yes I know I read 'everything' ;). I am the person who picks up every brochure, booklet or map when I am on vacation because I don't want to miss anything! ;)

Hope this helps

PCC doesnt open until noon - which is why I thought we could hit both places. We are planning on buying tickets that include a guide in PCC so we are sure to hit all the shows/demonstrations.

During our last visit we booked what was then called the Super Ambassador package. This package included our own dedicated guide and a order off a menu dinner. Even then we missed the parade and IMAX movie.

By buying a package, you will get to see all that the clock allows. I don't know why they do not open earlier.

I think that it will be difficult to see Pearl Harbor and still get to the PCC on time. Hopefully, some local folks will jump in with some comments.

I just booked my reservations for the Arizona today for October. The booking dates become available 60 days ahead. Each day the new date for booking is on recreation.gov early in the day but you can not actually book the resevation until 7:00 AM Hawaii time (currently 1:00 PM EDT). If you look at the site they list tour times from 7:30 AM in 15 minute intervals. However the only ones available (until sold out) are on the hour from 8:00 AM until the afternoon. I suppose that has to do with what they are holding for same day tickets or those being released the day before. Just one word of caution if the weather becomes windy the Navy (the Navy not the National Park Service runs the boats to the Arizona) may cancel the boats due to rough seas. That seems to happen more often later in the day. Remember the U.S.S. Arizona is still part of the Navy and Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam so when the Navy says no shuttle boats there will not be any shuttle boats.

It sounds as though you are trying to do a very large number of things each day. Everything that I have read says that PCC is more than a quick stop. And personally I feel that the Pearl Harbor World War 2 Valor in the Pacific National Monument (the name of the name of the entire NPS site including access to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial) also is not a quick stop. When you go you will first be seeing a 23 minute documentary film about the attack on Pearl Harbor then take the boat to the Arizona. Without the narrated tour or visiting the other exhibits the NPS site states that the tour takes 1 hour and 15 minutes. FYI: Strollers are allowed in the visitors center but not in the theaters or the shuttle boats to the U.S.S Arizona. I don't know about a backpack carrier for your daughter.

Because security is You are not permitted to carry any bags of any kind into the visitors center but there are small lockers available for rent. They also ask that you arrive 1 hour before your scheduled tour in order to check in etc.

Yes I know I read 'everything' ;). I am the person who picks up every brochure, booklet or map when I am on vacation because I don't want to miss anything! ;)

Hope this helps

Thank you very much! I read EVERYTHING too haha - I'm an overplanner - as if that wasn't obvious by my massive list of things to do. :rolleyes:

During our last visit we booked what was then called the Super Ambassador package. This package included our own dedicated guide and a order off a menu dinner. Even then we missed the parade and IMAX movie.

By buying a package, you will get to see all that the clock allows. I don't know why they do not open earlier.

I think that it will be difficult to see Pearl Harbor and still get to the PCC on time. Hopefully, some local folks will jump in with some comments.

Thanks so much for the input - sorry to hear you missed the parade, that is definitely one of the things I don't want to miss!

Do you think its more manageable to go to the Arizona before getting on the cruise ship?

Here's the other 'overplanner' again. :rolleyes: Actually I don't really over plan I just want to know what is there so I can choose wisely! (Sounds much better, right?);)

I have seen posts here about folks who want to do PH before boarding the ship. It is possible but I would strongly suggest that you make your reservations online 60 days out to get the tour time you want. Remember you can not take any bags with you to PH so you will need to leave them at your air BNB and return to collect them before you go to the ship terminal. How do you plan to get to the ship? And when and where are you returning your rental car? I know that Hertz does offer shuttles to and from the ship terminal on Saturdays at specific times-early AM for disembarking passengers and later for embarking passengersWe are renting from Hertz when we disembark because we are spending another week on Oahu after our cruise on PoA.;)

I think you have a great itinerary planned. You have pre-planned a lot and if something doesn't work out, it won't be a big deal. Just be flexible.

I think if you can get the early tickets for PH you will be fine doing both PH and the PCC on the same day. I assume that you don't have to be at PCC by a certain time. You will be tired on the drive home but your daughter will be snoozing. And, on your way to PCC you can get shrimp truck take out and stop at a beach for a cooling off swim before heading to PCC. Another thought is that if you don't do dinner at PCC, unless you are going for the luau, you can enjoy a relaxing dinner back in Waikiki. I do not get the impression that the food at PCC is anything special.

The only two things that you might take a second look at is dinner at Shorebird, and dinner at La Mariana Sailing Club. I have been to both and will not include Shorebird on future itineraries, and will enjoy La Mariana Sailing Club if on my way to the airport but not make a special trip. La Mariana Sailing Club is a fun place but not on the top of our list like I thought it would be. Lulu's is one of our favorite places for dinner, because it is casual, open air, with great views and food. These are just our personal preferences.

A suggestion for Duke's at lunch is that you can order take out from the bar and take it to the beach, where your daughter can run around while everyone enjoys Waikiki. Alcohol is not allowed on the beach so we always travel with "go cups" in which hot and cold beverages can be put. They make great containers for morning coffee and other beverages later in the day. Duke's makes good mai tais. And, the ABC stores sell all kinds of beverages which can be put in nondescript containers which many take on the beach.

Our "kids" who are now 24, 26, and 28 began traveling to Hawaii when they were old enough to get on a plane. I imagine your daughter will be exhausted at the end of each day but going full throttle the rest of the day. It might be that you have trouble keeping up with her on the hikes.

You might consider purchasing an umbrella and beach chairs so that you always have them in the car and on the cruise. We have been lucky at the Thrift Store across the street from KMart on the Nimitz Hwy but KMart is also good. It's always nice not to have to search for a bit of shade.

Have a great time, and please let us know how all the beer tastings go. I see you have 3 in one afternoon!!!!!!!! Cherie

Your itinerary sounds good, especially if you are flexible when things do not work out as planned.....rainy day, etc.

I love the Shorebird and have been going there for approximately 30 years. Maybe the food is not fancy cuisine, but the steaks are good, cooking your own is fun and the setting is great. Open air and right on the beach. Also, you will have no problem bringing your child into that restaurant. There are always coupons in those little tourist magazines, so make sure you look. We hit the Shorebird whenever we go to Waikiki for a visit. However, there are so many good options in Waikiki, it gets hard to make a decision. No matter where you eat....bon appetite!!

Enjoy every minute of your trip!!

b00kbug -

We'd be curious to read what you have in store while on Maui.

I'm working on fine-tuning our cruise itinerary but I'll be posting that when I get it done so I can get some feedback on it :)