Personal Choice Dining for !st time Cruiser

nckvilledudes

We love Personal Choice. Our preference is for the Traditional part. We tried Anytime once (not by choice) and it had its pluses, but overall was not as satisfying as Traditional. Some nights were great, others, nothing special.

The biggest problem with Anytime, I think, is that you probably won't have the same waiters unless you make a request for their tables, therefore, the waitstaff doesn't get a chance to personalize the service. This doesn't mean you are guaranteed better service with a fixed table and waiters.

The DH and I prefer to choose our time to eat. You will read pros and cons on this subject. There seems to be a more positive take if there are two in your party and you do not care how you are seated (table number in grouping). The DH and I loved it on NCL because we always sat with different people and always had great fun. The downside from this board has been possible waits during peak times. We live in a city where there is always a wait for your table with or without a reservation and we just get a cocktail and enjoy ourselves while we wait. I say if you enjoy meeting other people and like to do so with each meal and have no set time you truly need to eat it this is great. If you prefer a set time to dine and your preference is to share a meal with the same people, it is not.

The DH and I prefer to choose our time to eat. You will read pros and cons on this subject. There seems to be a more positive take if there are two in your party and you do not care how you are seated (table number in grouping). The DH and I loved it on NCL because we always sat with different people and always had great fun. The downside from this board has been possible waits during peak times. We live in a city where there is always a wait for your table with or without a reservation and we just get a cocktail and enjoy ourselves while we wait. I say if you enjoy meeting other people and like to do so with each meal and have no set time you truly need to eat it this is great. If you prefer a set time to dine and your preference is to share a meal with the same people, it is not.

Linda, thanks for the response. I think we would enjoy eating and talking with different people. I think it gives you more freedom if you meet someone and wish to dine with them again. Noticed you like NCL Freestyle and sailed with NCL. How was your experience with NCL?? Some have tried to steer us away from NCL but I think some of their ships look great. Any insight from you is appreciated.

Dan andMiguel

If you enjoy meeting people, Personal Choice gives the opportunity to dine with different people each night and share conversation with people from all over the world. You can also vary the number of people you share your meal with from three other couples at a table for eight to a quiet meal with your cruise mate at a table for two depending on your preference for the night.

We've occasionaly found the need for a "quick" meal satisfied with elegant dining at a table for two when we've had a very busy day and are tired, or want to shorten our meal in time for one of the shows.

Sometimes also we find that certain waiters make a better connection with us through friendly service or sharing of stories from their homeland. Then we will request that waiter on other nights, which helps create a friendlier atmosphere for our tastes. If we repeat with a set of waiters, then they will recognize our preferences and cater to them.

Traditional dining allows one to make friends in depth through conversation, as the same people are at the table each night. Personal Choice enables breadth of relationships by sharing with many people over the course of the cruise.

Lastly Personal Choice enables you to dine when you feel like it, a real plus if you have just travelled over many time zones. The only times to avoid are right when the early show of the evening lets out - everyone from the show heads to the dining rooms and there could be a wait for a table.

We love Personal Choice. Our preference is for the Traditional part. We tried Anytime once (not by choice) and it had its pluses, but overall was not as satisfying as Traditional. Some nights were great, others, nothing special.

The biggest problem with Anytime, I think, is that you probably won't have the same waiters unless you make a request for their tables, therefore, the waitstaff doesn't get a chance to personalize the service. This doesn't mean you are guaranteed better service with a fixed table and waiters.[/quote

Thanks for responding. Have you enjoyed all your Princess Cruises???

Dan and Miguel

Dan and Miguel,

We had a great overall time on NCL. There was an opportunity for improvement on the Wind, which NCL immediately responded to after we returned and expressed our concern about how it was handled on board. We would sail with NCL again should they have an itinerary we want at the time we want. We found everyone to be nice and the food and service good. We also like the casual atmosphere and the choice of “dressing up” for formal night or selecting a dining room and not attiring in formal wear. We chose Princess for our next two cruises because of the time frame and kudos from my DM.

Linda

After four straight cruises with Princess we just did a cruise on another line that did NOT offer Anytime Dining and had a wonderful time.

I think on Princess the appropriate choice for us is Anytime Dining but it's surely not for everyone.

First, if you're far out enough from your sail date to be able to book traditional, do it. You can always change to Anytime Dining as your quest for knowledge about it is fulfilled. Going the other way, trying to change from Anytime to Traditional is often tough if not impossible. There are just a lot of people that prefer the traditional option, seating is limited and it fills up fast.

What I like about Anytime Dining is being able to eat when we want to and not at the fixed time (duh). What that translates to me to mean is that we don't have to frame our evening around when it is we have to eat.

Often, when meeting other passengers that we "clicked" with and would like to spend more time with the question would come up: "What seating do you have?" on ships that did not offer the flexibility of Anytime Dining. We've sweet-talked Maitre d's in the past to be able to sit with our new friends at dinner. With Anytime Dining that's not necessary. We just arrive some time during serving hours and eat.

If you get off on having a waiter remember that you like Iced Tea and lots of it, Anytime is not for you. If you think its really fun to do stuff when you want to, it might just be.

It's the same food, the same menu, in dining rooms that are all about the same, on a ship, on vacation and dang if I wouldn't have a great time if I ate the same thing every night with people I didn't like.

The "a good attitude goes a long way" thing that applies so appropriately to cruisng in general applies here as well.

The thing is, this really is not as big of a deal as it is made out to be.

Often members of this board choose up sides like they're political parties (Anytime would draw Democrats while Fixed would draw Republicans) and that's just silly. No matter how you serve it, you're having a fabulous meal on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean.

Is there really anything better than that?

I think not.

Flip a coin, draw straws, come here and gather evidence ala CSI:Ocean, it really doesn't matter all that much.

You're on a cruise!

If you enjoy meeting people, Personal Choice gives the opportunity to dine with different people each night and share conversation with people from all over the world. You can also vary the number of people you share your meal with from three other couples at a table for eight to a quiet meal with your cruise mate at a table for two depending on your preference for the night.

We've occasionaly found the need for a "quick" meal satisfied with elegant dining at a table for two when we've had a very busy day and are tired, or want to shorten our meal in time for one of the shows.

Sometimes also we find that certain waiters make a better connection with us through friendly service or sharing of stories from their homeland. Then we will request that waiter on other nights, which helps create a friendlier atmosphere for our tastes. If we repeat with a set of waiters, then they will recognize our preferences and cater to them.

Traditional dining allows one to make friends in depth through conversation, as the same people are at the table each night. Personal Choice enables breadth of relationships by sharing with many people over the course of the cruise.

Lastly Personal Choice enables you to dine when you feel like it, a real plus if you have just travelled over many time zones. The only times to avoid are right when the early show of the evening lets out - everyone from the show heads to the dining rooms and there could be a wait for a table.

Thanks for a GREAT response.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good insight. We would really enjoy the part about meeting alot of diffrent people and then if we wanted the option of dining with new friends could do so. Funny we should get a responce from Round Rock as my partner was just there in July training at Dell for the new plant they just built here in North Carolina. Noticed you have sailed Princess several times. What was your best cruise???? We will celebrate 20yrs together next yr and I am treating him to a cruise. What was your most relaxing and enjoyable criuse with Princess??? I was looking at the Sapphire Mexico trip next yr. Thanks again for a very thoughtful and insightful response. I can't believe how helpful and friendly the responses have been fron the people who use cruise critic.

Thanks.

Dan and Miguel

"We will celebrate 20yrs together next yr and I am treating him to a cruise. What was your most relaxing and enjoyable criuse with Princess??? "

You have GOT to do the renewal of vows ceremony package that Princess offers. We did that last year on the Star Princess and it turned a wonderful cruise into a fabulous week-long celebration. Ours was a 23 year anniversary and it meant so much after all we'd been through (or any couple would have gone through in that amount of time) that it was just wonderful. Princess really did it up right.

Dan and Miguel,

We had a great overall time on NCL. There was an opportunity for improvement on the Wind, which NCL immediately responded to after we returned and expressed our concern about how it was handled on board. We would sail with NCL again should they have an itinerary we want at the time we want. We found everyone to be nice and the food and service good. We also like the casual atmosphere and the choice of “dressing up” for formal night or selecting a dining room and not attiring in formal wear. We chose Princess for our next two cruises because of the time frame and kudos from my DM.

Linda

Hey Linda thanks for the info. I have been looking at the NCL for the Mexico Pacific Coast cruise for next yr. Also the new Jewel cruise out of Miami to the Virgin Islands and more. The Star and the Spirit and the Jewel look great to me. I like the way you put it about dressing or not dressing up for dinner and having that option. Glad you liked yor NCL trip. I recieved their booklet yesterday and I think their ships are great looking. We will be celebrating 20yrs together next yr. and treating Miguel to a trip. What was the best cruise you have had??? We are really laid back guys who would like a very laid back cruise meeting alot of different people of different background. Would you opt for a balcony???

Dan and Miguel

"We will celebrate 20yrs together next yr and I am treating him to a cruise. What was your most relaxing and enjoyable criuse with Princess??? "

You have GOT to do the renewal of vows ceremony package that Princess offers. We did that last year on the Star Princess and it turned a wonderful cruise into a fabulous week-long celebration. Ours was a 23 year anniversary and it meant so much after all we'd been through (or any couple would have gone through in that amount of time) that it was just wonderful. Princess really did it up right.

Wow, what a response.!!!! LOL to the "after all we'd been thru" Where did you go on the Star. Princess is that Gay friendly for someone celebrating 20yrs together????

Dan and Miguel

Wow, what a response.!!!! LOL to the "after all we'd been thru" Where did you go on the Star. Princess is that Gay friendly for someone celebrating 20yrs together????

Dan and Miguel

I'd like to think so.

Any two human beings that can manage to stay together that long deserve it. It's not easy sharing your life with somebody else.

Prizes are in order

There's two basic packages, here's more, from the Princess website:

hdr_renewal_pkg.gifspacer.gifThis Package includes:

• A renewal of vows ceremony*.
  • Orchid bouquet and boutonniere for ceremony.
  • Commemorative certificate for "renewal of vows" signed by the Captain.
  • One bottle of champagne in your stateroom.
  • Two Princess engraved souvenir champagne glasses.
  • A framed portrait of the ceremony.

Item #606 $205 per couple

hdr_princess_renewal_pkg.gifspacer.gifThis Package includes:

• All the benefits of the above Renewal of Vows Package plus these fabulous extras:
  • Champagne breakfast in bed–a half bottle of French champagne delivered with breakfast in your stateroom the morning of your choice.
  • Two Princess robes–a gift for you to take home.
  • A visit to the Spa–one 30 minute therapeutic massage or facial per person.
  • Choice of canapés or petits fours in your stateroom every evening.
  • A personalized invitation from the Captain to visit the bridge while in port.

Item #607 $485 per couple

The only way I could get DH to cruise was personal choice dining. While some say that they don't want to get dressed up when they are on vacation, DH didn't want mealtimes "dictated" to him. He wanted to eat whenever, whereever etc. With that said, on the 3rd night, we had such a great time with our tablemates that the entire table agreed to meet for the rest of the cruise at the same table. So we reserved the table and stayed together. So I guess we had the best of both worlds.

Prior to that, we dined alone one night and met a young couple on their honeymoon and dined with them one night as well. Everynight was great. In January we are traveling with my parents and brother/wife and are doing the personal choice dining again.

Enjoy your cruise.

I love PC with princess, you have open sitting for breakfast and lunch so why not for dinner.....depending on your mood you can decide your table size.....when we joined another table never had to wait, when we want a table for 2 just a short wait..........also last year when we were on the Grand if the wait was 15 minurtes at one dinning room we would go to the other one...some people like the same wait staff personally, I like change.

In Aug. we were on the TP(only traditional) our service was average, we were only a table of four and they could never get things straight. Lucky for us we sat with a great couple......

We were on Star Princess for the Baltic cruise in August. We had intended to opt for first sitting at dinner but discovered that this could be either 6pm or 6.30 and the second sitting was not until 8.30 (a little too late for us). Many of the excursions on the Baltic itinerary did not get back until late afternoon which would have meant a rush to get ready for an early dinner. We therefore opted for Anytime Dining and this worked out really great for us. We usually made our way to the dining room around 7 or 7.30 and there was only one evening when our first choice of dining room was fully booked and we went to the other one with no problem. It is possible to book the same table each evening with the Anytime Dining but we enjoyed having new faces at our tables and it was a great opportunity to chat with fellow passengers from all parts of the world. Apart from the one time mentioned above we never had to queue for more than 5 mins and we had good service from all the waiters throughout the cruise. The same food is served in all the main dining rooms (only the speciality restaurants, where a supplement is payable, have different menus). We would not hesitate to choose Anytime Dining in the future and in fact have already requested this for our Alaska cruise on Dawn Princess next May.

Suron in Bristol, England

What was the best cruise you have had??? We are really laid back guys who would like a very laid back cruise meeting alot of different people of different background. Would you opt for a balcony???

Dan and Miguel

Congratulations on 20 years! I have to say I really have no best cruise ever because on each cruise there is something that is just the best event ever. I am terrified of water especially deep water (can’t tread water but can swim just a tad and afraid of heights) The DH has me pick one think I would really love to do but is a little over the top for us (we are a couple of a “certain age”). I always select something in my fear factor. I had a wonderful time going on a snorkel trip in Maui, which instead of a sheltered lagoon ended up in the ocean. It was the best as we saw whales and it was thrilling to be out in “the middle” of the ocean looking at fish and then having the catamaran take us to see whales. My DH with me and my life vest swimming around in the water. The Bermuda cruise was great because we went Helmet diving (I know scared but boy was it grand!) We love Mexico having gone a few times but this time zip-lining! So you see the best cruise is always the one you are on with the person who makes your heart sing!:D

Linda The Book Lover,

Sitting here laughing at your lastest response.!!!! You loving cruising and hate water.!!!!! LOL You have had some great times it sounds like. I think we will too. I think with all the nice responses that for our first cruise will be Princess and the personal choice style. It gives alittle more options of doing things and not worrying about a set time to eat. That would work best for us. It seems most who have responded appreciated that. Your screen name leads me to assume you read alot on the cruise. That true???

Dan and Miguel

We were on Star Princess for the Baltic cruise in August. We had intended to opt for first sitting at dinner but discovered that this could be either 6pm or 6.30 and the second sitting was not until 8.30 (a little too late for us). Many of the excursions on the Baltic itinerary did not get back until late afternoon which would have meant a rush to get ready for an early dinner. We therefore opted for Anytime Dining and this worked out really great for us. We usually made our way to the dining room around 7 or 7.30 and there was only one evening when our first choice of dining room was fully booked and we went to the other one with no problem. It is possible to book the same table each evening with the Anytime Dining but we enjoyed having new faces at our tables and it was a great opportunity to chat with fellow passengers from all parts of the world. Apart from the one time mentioned above we never had to queue for more than 5 mins and we had good service from all the waiters throughout the cruise. The same food is served in all the main dining rooms (only the speciality restaurants, where a supplement is payable, have different menus). We would not hesitate to choose Anytime Dining in the future and in fact have already requested this for our Alaska cruise on Dawn Princess next May.

Suron in Bristol, England

suron,

I agree with you when you state how interesting it is to meet and eat with different people from around the world and enjoy their company. I think that would only add to the cruise. On our other land vacations we have always enjoyed meeting people from all walks of life and the sharing of interesting life experiences. Thanks for the response.

Dan and Miguel

I love PC with princess, you have open sitting for breakfast and lunch so why not for dinner.....depending on your mood you can decide your table size.....when we joined another table never had to wait, when we want a table for 2 just a short wait..........also last year when we were on the Grand if the wait was 15 minurtes at one dinning room we would go to the other one...some people like the same wait staff personally, I like change.

In Aug. we were on the TP(only traditional) our service was average, we were only a table of four and they could never get things straight. Lucky for us we sat with a great couple......

I agree with you when you say you like change. How did you like the Grand????

Dan and Miguel

Archived