early arrivals/risers

JGB

Like most, when we board early with FTTF, we drop off luggage in our room, and grab a quick lunch. One thing I like to do is go to the MDR and introduce myself to the maitre 'd and check our table assignment. Like to find out where the ship's maitre 'd is from and learn a few phrases in their native language. Currently learning some Hungarian for our Freedom cruise since the maitre 'd is Csaba Atilla. ...

Sent from my Galaxy 4

Edited by Raxter54

fellow cruisers...for those who board 5 or 6 hours prior to sailing how do you occupy your time,other than eating of course.

and while we are on it...for those early risers how do you spend your time before the remainder of the ship gets going?

Once we get on the ship I always say "I'm Home". We drop off our carry-on bags in the cabin and head up to the buffet for a slow lunch. We try for a port side window so we can watch some of the action out in the port area as well as watching all the cruisers arriving for lunch.

After lunch we walk the ship both outside and inside before it gets crowded. Once we are done our walk, we head back to the cabin and usually take a quick nap if our luggage has not arrived. Most cruises we are unpacked and ready to cruise before muster drill.

As for getting up early, I can't help you there. The only time we get up early is if we have early plans in port of on embarkation day.

First, you don't board 5-6 hours early. You might get to the cruise terminal 5-6 hours before departure, but you won't board the ship until usually around noon time and the ship will generally leave the dock around 4PM. Muster drill is around 3PM and you have to be on board before then. So in the terminal, you just sit and wait once you've checked in.

As others have said, once on board, finding your way around, standing in line for elevators, standing in line for food, finding a table,getting a bite to eat, finding your cabin, if luggage is there, unpacking. then maybe a drink or watch the action on the Lido deck or explore the ship.

For early morning, nothing like a cup of coffee on your balcony or a less windy part of the ship. Gym is un crowded but active at 6AM. Lido buffet has zero lines or very short lines before 8Am. Nice way to start day.

As we have only done 2 cruises so far, I am still perfecting my techniques but here's the general plan: We got FTTF this time(we missed it last time) so we will board just after my parents(platinum). As we are making our way to our cabin, i will het a little lost from DW and DD and show up to the cabin with a drink. I will get admonished for "finding" a drink then we will unpack and organize. Then we meet on the Lido for burgers and beers. DD hits the pool and ice cream....

All the mornings while sailing are mine, i'm up by 545 and out the door by 6. I take some laps, sometimes you even catch an early morning walk of shame.... then some fruit and coffee on our balcony. Then when the girls get up, hopefully by 9, it's time for 2nd breakfast. :D

I still enjoy doing random things in the elevators, i get a little weird..... Happy Cruising Everyone!

I usually get up early for some dumb reason. Like to go up and get coffee and see the others who are afflicted with insomnia! Beautiful sunrises.

THIS and its cool to have whole ship to yourself for a short time.

I usually get up early for some dumb reason. Like to go up and get coffee and see the others who are afflicted with insomnia! Beautiful sunrises.

And you meet some of the most friendliest people that early in the morning. Some with very interesting stories to tell.

Before sailing, I walk around and get to know the ship. Like to do that before it gets too crowded. I usually grab a drink of the day, the Fun Times, and just wander aimlessly.

When I wake before anyone else, I like to take pictures around the ship. You can get some really cool shots.

I do pretty much the same thing after I board the ship. Mornings I order coffee and croissants from Room Service, and enjoy them on the balcony.