zuiderdam vs. eurodam?

caggfamily

We were on the Eurodam two years ago and really enjoyed it. this year we will be on the new year's sailing of the zuiderdam for a multi-generational cruise with my kids, siblings, and my parents. we have been on many different cruise lines but are used to bigger ships. could someone please let me know how the zuiderdam compares to the eurodam so i know what to expect?

The layouts of Holland American ships are very similar, except for the newest ship, Koningsdam. The Vista class of ships or which Zuiderdam was the first, is smaller than Eurodam, but not by much. It's a matter of about 5,000 GT. Zuidy is a few meters longer, but Eurodam is almost a meter wider. Passenger load is about 200 more on Eurodam.

I have been on both ships. I happen to be fond of Zuiderdam, but remember Eurodam as a lovely ship. Available activities will be similar. The one thing that Eurodam has that Zuidy doesn't is the Pan-Asian restaurant, Tamarind, which is well worth the up-charge,

Overall Zuiderdam will be a bit smaller, but after her last drydock she's looking good.

• Like 1

We were on the Eurodam two years ago and really enjoyed it. this year we will be on the new year's sailing of the zuiderdam for a multi-generational cruise with my kids, siblings, and my parents. we have been on many different cruise lines but are used to bigger ships. could someone please let me know how the zuiderdam compares to the eurodam so i know what to expect?

We have sailed on both ships and our choice would be Eurodam. ;)

The Eurodam also has lido cabanas which are great for families! No worrying about finding lounge chairs, never mind actually together, a central meeting point and waiter service for the Dive In and Lido buffets. I could go on and on...:)

They only accommodate four people, but you can reserve two (or more) side by side and open the curtain between them for one giant cabana.

If I were sailing with a multi generational family I would pick the Eurodam for this reason alone!

We did a family reunion cruise on Eurodam and it was wonderful! Great service and good food. Would never hesitate to sail Eurodam. Zuiderdam once, nice but not the same level as comfort as Eurodam. To each their own, of course.

We like the Zuiderdam but it does not have the NY Pizza Station on the aft Lido deck or the Tamarind Restaurant as the Eurodam does. The 200 or so less passengers on the Zuiderdam are most notable in the Lido Market during meal times.

We will be on the Zuiderdam in November where I will be doing my usual photo review of the ship and gathering answers for subsequent CC cruisers.

Your family will enjoy your cruise on the Zuiderdam.

We did a Christmas cruise on the Zuiderdam several years ago with 22 family members from 7 to 70. Everyone had a great time. There are are lot more kids of all ages on the Holiday sailings than you'll typically see on HAL ships. The kids seemed to enjoy exploring the ship on the "buddy system". We felt more comfortable with them doing things on their own on board ship than we probably would have at a resort.

I have sailed on both. While I loved the lido cabana on the Eurodam, I actually preferred the Zuiderdam. It seemed to have more art and a traditional decor. In general it seemed more warm and welcoming. I think the Zuiderdam now has the cabana club on one of the upper decks. If I was cruising with family members I would rent a couple of those so the family could have an outdoor space to enjoy together.